Author Topic: Let's Assess 2008 from a Health & Fitness Perspective!  (Read 8095 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Let's Assess 2008 from a Health & Fitness Perspective!
« on: January 03, 2009, 10:06:32 pm »
Let's Assess 2008
from a
Health & Fitness Perspective!

Happy New Year!

How many of the above options did you tick? There are nine options. Did you tick more or less than half?

If your health and fitness is an important part of your life, as so many of us claim, you should be aiming to improve the way you feel, look and move each year.

Sure, it all gets harder with every passing year, but it's not impossible. There are plenty of examples of people  in the 40s, 50s and 60s who are as fit and healthy now as they've ever been. They may not have the potential to run as fast as they once could, or jump as high as they once did, but they are looking after themselves better than ever and reaping the rewards.

Tell us how many of the above options you ticked. Which ones?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka... Rob
Re: Let's Assess 2008 from a Health & Fitness Perspective!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 09:01:42 am »

Aaaaaagh. Only 4 out of 9.  :P

(5, 7, 8 & 9)

Oh well. At least that was fairly average for the votes so far.

(only 3 voters so far?)
  :)

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 10:16:24 am »
Two years ago, I ran a marathon. Last year, I bailed on running a 10K that I usually run. So I've definitely lost ground recently. I live in a pretty athletic place, too, so even when I was training to run a marathon, I was only about average fitness for the people I know. This year, though, I'm planning to make more time for exercise. (And also not to eat dessert any more, except for special occasions - that should help with the weight.)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 10:40:28 am »
2009 - I need to get fit again! It dipped in 2008.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 06:03:42 pm »
I'm pretty pleased with my general health and fitness as at the end of 2008. I ticked 6 of the options, 4-9.

I live on salads during summer, coupled with lean cuts of meat. Very rarely eat gravy and sauces. Never eat dessert. I eat fresh fruit following my evening meal and for snacks during the day. Usually have a couple of glasses of merlot with dinner, but never full strength - it's a one-third wine to two-thirds water combo. In winter, I eat lots of vegetables (I loooove vegies!), again coupled with lean cuts of meat. I've never smoked.

Though I do not follow a formal exercise regime and do not attend gym, I find a brisk 30 minute walk every day keeps my heart pumping.

Why didn't I tick 1-3? Well, even though I try to maintain a healthy lifestyle, fact is I am 59 and gravity tends to take control of the ole bod at that age. I guess I could go to the gymn and really drive myself, but I'm just not that motivated. Oh, and I didn't make any resolutions at the beginning of the year, so none were broken.

I'm happy the way I am.   :D

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 04:07:10 pm »
None of them! I've never been so un-fit in my life! I blame the cat. I try to avoid going out in the evening (to the gym for instance), because I have a bad conscience, leaving her alone..

j.U.d.E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 10:46:51 am »
None of them! I've never been so un-fit in my life! I blame the cat. I try to avoid going out in the evening (to the gym for instance), because I have a bad conscience, leaving her alone..

j.U.d.E.

I just got a treadmill - Skimble seems a little weary of it, he sat watching me from afar on it today and when he came nearer he got skittish and ran off! He'll get used to it tho, and I'll hopefully get fitter!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline BelAir

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 02:33:05 pm »
I only ticked number 5, alcohol-intake pass...

Which to me means 'I don't drink too much.'

I do however, sit on my couch too much.

I had a burst of athleticism in the summer, but nada in the fall.

Yes, time to get back in that groove again.

(Funny stories about kitties, jude and kelda...)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 08:07:23 pm »
I didn't check any.   >:(

But 2009 is my year.  I ended 2008 with a head-to-toe physical.  Somehow, my body is not cooperating because I'm borderline anemic (low ferritin) and have no vitamin B12.  And I weigh more than I ever have in my life.

>:(

But, I have a plan.  Since the physical, I've started actually taking the multi-vitamin that sits on my shelf and I've added a B complex and Omega3's.  I joined Weight Watchers and the Y and have been going swimming or walking on the beach nearly every day.

I'm finding WW pretty frustrating, to be honest, but I'm not giving up.  I do great for breakfast and lunch, but for some reason in the evening it all goes to hell in a bucket.

So that's what I'm going to focus on this week - healthy dinners and no 11 pm ice cream raids.   8)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 08:30:05 pm »
I just got a treadmill - Skimble seems a little weary of it, he sat watching me from afar on it today and when he came nearer he got skittish and ran off! He'll get used to it tho, and I'll hopefully get fitter!
Ach, that's so cute! I bet Brokie would do the same, plus frown on me because of all that noise!  :laugh:

I actually went to Volleyball practice tonight! And it went quite well, I must say! Now, the trick is to keep going every Monday..  :-\ Maybe I should report back here every Monday, so just to pressure myself.. But then again, maybe not...  :P

j.U.d.E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -