Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1922547 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #2780 on: June 24, 2021, 12:43:03 pm »
I skipped that one because I don't really like "New York is the most wonderful special city in the country" fetishizing.

Well, it is The New Yorker. ...

Yes, there is a national (I'm sure international) readership, but it is still The New Yorker.

I mean, I imagine you don't read "Goings on About Town," but that section doesn't cover theater and dance and art events in Omaha. It's New York focused.

(I do look at the section; it's one way I keep up on what's going on in, well, the world of theater and dance, because New York City is important for those things, and they interest me.)

Gopnik's article reminded me of the famous Saul Steinberg cartoon.

That was a cover, wasn't it? I remember reading that prints of it sold out, like, instantaneously. It's been imitated for other cities.

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2781 on: June 24, 2021, 05:05:14 pm »
I have that framed and hanging on my wall!

TNY is an international magazine, but really, we have to expect a lot of articles about New York in a magazine called The New Yorker, don't we?

I don't even want them in New York magazine!  :laugh:

I don't mind articles about events that happen in New York or profiles of people who live there, of course. Or arts and entertainment listings for New York. And there's a valid argument to be made that the reopening of New York is a bigger deal than in Minneapolis or Denver. I read something about what Manhattan was like in mid-shutdown that made me wonder if the city would be forever changed.

But odes to the specialness of New York (or New Orleans or Minneapolis or anywhere) have always gotten on my nerves for some reason.

Another caveat: Since I only read a paragraph or two before dropping it, it's possible I wouldn't actually find Gopnik's article as irritating as I assume. In general, I like his work. But I wouldn't read his book about living in Paris, either.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2782 on: June 24, 2021, 09:38:59 pm »
It might make interesting companion pieces to Gopnik's if they had Lauren Collins do a similar article on Paris and Rebecca Meade on London.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2783 on: June 24, 2021, 11:17:24 pm »
And you could do Philadelphia, Lee could do Denver and I’ll take care of Minneapolis! These will be for their CITIES issue.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2784 on: June 25, 2021, 08:36:39 am »
Nah. All I can say for Philadelphia is, Blink and the rules change.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2785 on: June 25, 2021, 01:33:59 pm »
Well, that would be a short essay, to be sure. It could use another paragraph or two of elaboration.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2786 on: June 25, 2021, 07:30:27 pm »
If I were to write about Denver, I might be tempted to make it look like a horrible place, since people are streaming in alarmingly and the city is bursting at the seams.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2787 on: June 27, 2021, 02:55:58 pm »
If I were to write about Denver, I might be tempted to make it look like a horrible place, since people are streaming in alarmingly and the city is bursting at the seams.

Does that include Arvada? I always thought I’d consider moving there. But a friend who lives there said a couple of years ago it was going to get a train stop so I suppose prices went up.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2788 on: June 28, 2021, 10:16:08 am »
Yes, Arvada is one of the big growth areas. Just to the north of me.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2789 on: June 28, 2021, 08:34:48 pm »
I know! And not far from my bro’s. And of course, the aforementioned friend. I think when I was there in 2013, it was relatively affordable, just lively enough, and cute.