Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1951485 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #2820 on: August 14, 2021, 11:39:34 am »
I read the Sedaris article, which is about his relationship with his father, who recently died. I wasn't sure whether to recommend it to you, Jeff, or not.  :-\
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2821 on: August 14, 2021, 01:49:49 pm »
I'm looking forward to reading the Sedaris, but right now I'm working my way through Jane Mayer's article, because, as scary as I find it, I think it's very important. (Yes, it's a duty article.)

Yes, I'm performing my duty on that one, too. I have about eight New Yorkers sitting around the house, all open to unfinished duty articles. (When I see David Sedaris in the ToC, I always turn to that first.)

Which reminds me, did anyone else read the article about Nero (the Roman emperor) being misrepresented as more evil than he was? I started it, and it's OK, but once you get the point that "Nero has been misrepresented as more evil than he was" I'm not sure how much more you need to know. All I know about Nero is hearing that he fiddled while Rome burned. Apparently he did not.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2822 on: August 15, 2021, 01:51:15 pm »
Which reminds me, did anyone else read the article about Nero (the Roman emperor) being misrepresented as more evil than he was? I started it, and it's OK, but once you get the point that "Nero has been misrepresented as more evil than he was" I'm not sure how much more you need to know. All I know about Nero is hearing that he fiddled while Rome burned. Apparently he did not.

Yes, the fiddle hadn't been invented yet.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2823 on: August 15, 2021, 03:15:10 pm »
Yes, the fiddle hadn't been invented yet.

See? Seven words. That?s all I needed to know.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2824 on: August 15, 2021, 06:14:30 pm »
Apparently Nero was a fan of a harp-like instrument called the cithara and played it in competitions which he organized.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2825 on: August 21, 2021, 08:42:46 pm »
I'm reading the August 25 article about the volcanic eruption in Iceland. There is a photo of a wedding taking place against the backdrop of the lava flow. The photo is of two guys getting married.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2826 on: August 24, 2021, 12:38:08 pm »
I think I'm going to tune in to The New Yorker Live this afternoon to see what it's all about. Has anyone gone to this? It will be David Byrne and a few others.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2827 on: August 25, 2021, 11:15:27 am »
How was it?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2828 on: August 25, 2021, 12:51:15 pm »
Apparently you're supposed to sign up in advance. I couldn't get in. I'll try again next week.

Meanwhile I was browsing around the web site and read about how George Saunders conceived his story in this week's issue. Probably a bad idea to read about the making of the story before you read the actual story.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2829 on: August 26, 2021, 08:28:14 pm »
I went out today to a bookstore that is 10 miles away! Not very environmentally correct of me but it's getting so good bookstores are few and far between. At least I didn't order on Amazon.

I found the book Real Estate by Deborah :Levy, which was reviewed in TNY a couple of weeks ago. Started it and like it well. I forgot I don't usually like autobiographies, but this one seems okay so far. Not too self-absorbed.