Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1922565 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #2950 on: December 19, 2021, 09:32:39 pm »
Yes, I read it on your recommendation and it was a good article.

There's a link to a Wikipedia article on paiderastia in ancient Greece and it did not have negative connotations. They say it was socially accepted and the many depictions on pottery and in literature back that up. The stigma came later.

It's been, like, 30 years since I read it, but Christianity, Social Tolerance, and Homosexuality, by John Boswell, is relevant to the development of the stigma.

Boswell was a cutie. In the picture of him on the back of my paperback copy, he appears blond-haired and blue-eyed, with a sort of enigmatic smile--and the top couple of buttons of his shirt undone.

He was family. We lost him to AIDS in 1994. His tragedy (in my view it's a tragedy) was that he was so devoted to Roman Catholicism that he bent over so far backward to try to prove that the early church was not homophobic that he was practically standing on his head, and that he sort of damaged his own reputation as a scholar. His last book, on same-sex unions, was rushed into print in order for it to be published before he died.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Boswell
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2951 on: December 28, 2021, 03:34:03 pm »
I think I am not further behind than I have ever been in my life.

Going all the way back to Nov. 29, I recommend the picture of the beautiful young man in the ad for Madrid on page 19.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2952 on: January 03, 2022, 08:15:10 pm »
Came across the word "sombre." A mistake, or more New Yorker style guide weirdness? Sombre isn't incorrect, but the preferred spelling in the United States is "somber."

Now I'm wondering (and this would be an easy mystery to solve), do they say "theatre"?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2953 on: January 03, 2022, 08:48:31 pm »
Where did you find that? Maybe the author is British. No, I don't think they write "theatre."
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2954 on: January 03, 2022, 09:26:52 pm »
Now I'm wondering (and this would be an easy mystery to solve), do they say "theatre"?

Where did you find that? Maybe the author is British. No, I don't think they write "theatre."

Check Alexandra Schwartz's review of Company in the Dec. 20 issue: "It is one of the greatest moments in musical theatre," also the phrase, "in music or in theatre." Both appear on page 71.

I'd say check the TOC of any issue with a theatre review.

I would think that spelling is quintessential New Yorker usage.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2955 on: January 08, 2022, 05:53:44 pm »

I'll see if I can remember. But the author's nationality shouldn't matter to the copy editors, right? Presumably they don't let writers spell it "colour" and put commas and periods outside quotation marks.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2956 on: January 08, 2022, 06:27:33 pm »
I believe TNY also uses a diacritical mark (?--not sure if that's what it's called) in coordinate rather than a hyphen or no punctuation at all.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 09:37:00 pm by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2957 on: January 08, 2022, 06:29:36 pm »
Did anyone not get their issue this week? Mine is late by 4 or 5 days. I suppose TNY might be sulking because it learned I was two-timing it with TDoE.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2958 on: January 08, 2022, 09:36:04 pm »
Did anyone not get their issue this week? Mine is late by 4 or 5 days. I suppose TNY might be sulking because it learned I was two-timing it with TDoE.

Which issue? The last one I got is a two-week issue, Jan. 3 and 10.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2959 on: January 09, 2022, 11:14:06 am »
The latest issue I have is December 27. I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone!