Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1964016 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #2980 on: February 17, 2022, 02:59:40 pm »
I had put down that issue in disgust, after wasting too much of my time, and not finishing, the article on Ms. Barrett. I fished it out and read "Tut-Tut" which was really interesting and reminded me of the two times I admired the Egyptian art in the Louvre. I was surprised by the vibrant color after growing up thinking ancient sculptures were unpainted. Also loved the depictions of romantic love and family closeness.

After seeing those, I went further to the wing where Napoleon III's apartments were located. The regal touches, the heavy black outlining, and the mythical figurines reminded me that Egyptomania took over the arts when Napoleon invaded Egypt. He conquered the tribe that was ruling Egypt at that time, but was defeated at sea by the British under Admiral Nelson. Nevertheless, General Bonaparte was seen as a hero and part of the celebration was the adoption of Egyptian motifs. 150 scholars in all branches of science and the arts accompanied him to Egypt and stayed after to study the country. Included was the director of the Central Museum of the Arts, which became the Louvre (but not until 1989!).
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2981 on: February 17, 2022, 04:35:29 pm »
The museum at the University of Pennsylvania has lots of stuff filched from Egypt, including mummies and a sphinx.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2982 on: February 20, 2022, 11:31:25 am »
Remember how we've bemoaned the fact that humor often falls flat in TNY? Well, maybe it has to do with the printed page. I've been perusing the animated cartoons in the first digital issue that came out last week. While I didn't LOL, I thought at least half of them were amusing.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2983 on: February 20, 2022, 12:34:17 pm »
This looks really good -- thanks, FRiend! I haven't read past the "overheard in NY" quotes but they were good and the other stuff looks good, too.

I'm going to start using "Let's frighten it!" I only wish this included more context. Were they talking about a pigeon in the sidewalk ahead? Or maybe something more colloquial and nuanced -- maybe "frighten" means think deeply about something, or take some startling action that sets things in motion, or whatever.

I'm going to deploy it in some nuanced way.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2984 on: February 26, 2022, 10:09:56 pm »
Who has predictions for the next New Yorker cover? I'm thinking blue and yellow for sure. But as simple as that, or a more complex image?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2985 on: March 16, 2022, 09:11:28 pm »
I believe I found a mistake in the elk antler article (March 14). One of the sources for the article, discussing the utility of antlers for dogs, is quoted as saying, "There's almost nothing there but calcium and phosphorous."

Phosphorous is an adjective. The context of the sentence calls for phosphorus, the noun, the substance.

That's a common mistake, but I think it's one someone at TNY should have caught.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2986 on: March 17, 2022, 11:14:11 am »
I believe I found a mistake in the elk antler article (March 14). One of the sources for the article, discussing the utility of antlers for dogs, is quoted as saying, "There's almost nothing there but calcium and phosphorous."

Phosphorous is an adjective. The context of the sentence calls for phosphorus, the noun, the substance.

That's a common mistake, but I think it's one someone at TNY should have caught.

Sharp eyes! They should hire you.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2987 on: March 17, 2022, 01:13:24 pm »

Sharp eyes! They should hire you.

Thanks. From your lips to God's ears.  ...   ;D   I've grown accustomed to looking for it. I see it in lab reports in my job.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2988 on: March 21, 2022, 10:33:23 pm »
I enjoyed Peter Schjeldahl on Marcel Duchamp in the March 14 issue.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2989 on: April 02, 2022, 10:28:35 am »
I was puzzled by this over-the-top video about the "senior word engineer" of Wordle, but then I saw that it was produced by the New Yorker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1BLsjjAlB4