Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1920902 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #3170 on: February 11, 2023, 03:44:09 pm »
Am I reading this wrong or is this a pretty egregious editing error by New Yorker standards? It's from a March 2022 article that I just happen to be reading now.

Doctors in the Midlands had developed the custom of recording when a baby had died; doctors in London that a miscarriage had occurred.

Either switch the semicolon for a comma or add a verb to the second part.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3171 on: February 11, 2023, 08:56:38 pm »
That is a seriously messed up sentence! The only way it could work is if the "when" and "that" could be coordinated; either use when in both cases or that in both cases.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3172 on: February 11, 2023, 10:15:24 pm »
Am I reading this wrong or is this a pretty egregious editing error by New Yorker standards? It's from a March 2022 article that I just happen to be reading now.

Either switch the semicolon for a comma or add a verb to the second part.

I'd just switch the semicolon to a comma. That said, I do think it would be a better sentence if it were written as "that a baby had died" and "that a miscarriage had occurred." That would make the two parts parallel. "When" makes me think the doctor was looking at his watch and noting the time. But maybe he was?

But I also don't know the context of the sentence.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3173 on: February 12, 2023, 06:38:06 pm »
I'd just switch the semicolon to a comma. That said, I do think it would be a better sentence if it were written as "that a baby had died" and "that a miscarriage had occurred." That would make the two parts parallel. "When" makes me think the doctor was looking at his watch and noting the time. But maybe he was?

But I also don't know the context of the sentence.

The article was about how numbers and statistics can be misleading. Those two places were part of one study and I guess that difference messed up the results.

Agreed about "that"!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3174 on: February 12, 2023, 10:07:27 pm »
The article was about how numbers and statistics can be misleading. Those two places were part of one study and I guess that difference messed up the results.

Agreed about "that"!

Numbers and statistics misleading? Imagine that!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3175 on: February 14, 2023, 07:50:40 pm »
...I did have a next-door neighbor for a while who was being considered to replace Keillor when he retired (before the scandal) and would have been good. He's a storyteller who performs onstage all over the country and in Europe, presents one-man shows at the Guthrie Theater, has told a lot of stories on NPR, has published books and put out CDs. Anyway, his material is very recognizably Minnesotan too -- he even uses somewhat of a Fargo accent -- and the suburb he grew up in is only closer to Minneapolis than the suburb Garrison Keillor grew up in. Kevin's take is more original, to me.

How cool to have a neighbor like that! There was a guy who replaced GK for a while after he retired. He could even sing. But I don't think the show is playing now.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3176 on: February 15, 2023, 02:16:40 pm »
How cool to have a neighbor like that! There was a guy who replaced GK for a while after he retired. He could even sing. But I don't think the show is playing now.

Yeah, I haven't followed it very closely but I get the feeling it/he was never quite accepted as a substitute.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3177 on: February 15, 2023, 09:47:34 pm »
I'm kind of disappointed in the anniversary issue. So far I've given up on two articles, the one on impostor syndrome (wasn't what I thought it would be about) and the one on Austin (way too long).

On the other hand, the articles by Rebecca Mead and Joan Acocella were very entertaining.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3178 on: February 16, 2023, 06:55:22 pm »
The only article that interested me was the Salman Rushdie one.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3179 on: February 21, 2023, 03:58:04 pm »
Well, I guess I learned something today. Since I'd burned through the anniversary issue of TNY and had nothing else to read over lunch, I opened the latest issue of the AARP magazine, the one with Lily Tomlin, Sally Field, Jane Fonda, and Rita Moreno on the cover. I've been getting this magazine as part of my membership and never reading it. To my surprise, there are a lot of interesting articles in the magazine, and unlike so many things in TNY these days--they're short! I think I'm going to go back and look at some of the earlier issues, starting with the one with Dame Helen Mirren on the cover, at least until I get another TNY to read.