Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1964211 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #3390 on: August 23, 2023, 08:25:20 am »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3391 on: August 23, 2023, 01:28:35 pm »
Here's an example of that TNY usage that drives me crazy.

Instead, as Hunt-Hendrix later put it, "we are born into traditions, and it becomes our task to keep making sense of the world through those traditions, improving them as we go."

Sorry, TNY, that quotation is a complete sentence. I think it should be:

Instead, as Hunt-Hendrix later put it, "We are born into traditions. ...:

You would use a lower-case w if the sentence was written:

Instead, Hunt-Hendrix later put it that "we are born into traditions. ..."

That is a relative pronoun, but then I don't know what to call the clause that begins "we are born. ..."

My go-to source, a good old-fashioned grammar book called Warriner's English Grammar and Composition, by John E. Warriner (I think I have the 1957 edition  ;D ), simply says,

A direct quotation begins with a capital letter.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3392 on: August 23, 2023, 03:35:13 pm »
Oh! You didn't know that?

My reaction exactly!

I see that David Harbour is in the news talking about attending the Swift concert in Minneapolis. So don't count me completely out!!

:laugh: :laugh:

Interesting that he chose to see it here. It was a BIG DEAL, dominating the news for several days. I of course did not see it, and in fact if someone mixed Taylor Swift with Beyonc? songs and held a gun to my head, I could not tell them which is which.

I may not know Swift or Sheerhan, but I do know a few Strausses, Schumann, Schubert and even Satie, pretty well!

You're way ahead of me on those S's. Almost all my knowledge of classical composers comes from piano lessons in elementary school.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3393 on: August 24, 2023, 04:41:56 pm »
Received the new issue and I've read the memoir by Werner Herog and the book review by Adam Gopnik already. He reviews a book analyzing the Old Testament. I've been trying to get more understanding about the persecution and enslavement of the Jews and the conflicting accounts of the early kings and their antics. This gives much clarity.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3394 on: August 28, 2023, 09:47:52 pm »
I enjoyed the article on monster trucks in the August 21 issue.  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3395 on: September 03, 2023, 04:17:05 pm »
Received the new issue and I've read the memoir by Werner Herog and the book review by Adam Gopnik already. He reviews a book analyzing the Old Testament. I've been trying to get more understanding about the persecution and enslavement of the Jews and the conflicting accounts of the early kings and their antics. This gives much clarity.

I liked the beekeeping article. Who would have thought there could be so much controversy in beekeeping? Beekeeping has always struck me as something, I don' t know, genteel? Something done by someone with a cottage in the Cotswolds who doesn't have to work for a living (or for retired consulting detectives). The idea that apparently some beekeepers have actually come to blows strikes me as sort of Monty Python-esque.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3396 on: September 07, 2023, 10:36:37 am »
A (real life) friend on Twitter/X posted the image below of a New Yorker headline and said, "There are few things that signal elitism more than putting an accent on '?litist.'" He's joking -- he graduated from Yale, wrote a book and is fairly ?lite himself. I saw it too late to respond so I'll share my response with you: Could have been worse if the headline had included  "co?perate or "re?lect."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3397 on: September 07, 2023, 01:01:30 pm »
A (real life) friend on Twitter/X posted the image below of a New Yorker headline and said, "There are few things that signal elitism more than putting an accent on '?litist.'" He's joking -- he graduated from Yale, wrote a book and is fairly ?lite himself. I saw it too late to respond so I'll share my response with you: Could have been worse if the headline had included  "co?perate or "re?lect."

Notice how all your accented letters showed up as question marks?  ???

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3398 on: September 07, 2023, 02:57:38 pm »
Notice how all your accented letters showed up as question marks?  ???

Now I do! Weird. Yet if I write "naive" even my spellcheck underlines it and suggests "na?ve." (I imagine this, too, will show up as a question mark.)

The other weird thing is the "preview" function shows them with the correct accents and even diareses.

ETA after checking back: Yup.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #3399 on: September 07, 2023, 03:02:27 pm »
I believe the "?" thingie has been going on ever since Phillip/John moved us to whatever this format is called. All the old posts are loaded with "?"s.