Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1964372 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #3500 on: March 03, 2024, 08:55:59 pm »
I am even more behind than usual. I had two issues with me up at the house, and I just didn't feel like reading either of them.

Understandable. Hope you're doing all right, Jeff.  :-*

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3501 on: March 04, 2024, 01:18:29 pm »
Understandable. Hope you're doing all right, Jeff.  :-*

Thanks. I'm doing OK.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3502 on: March 19, 2024, 11:01:03 am »
I'm reposting this comment that I made in the Armistad Maupin thread:

This inspired me to go back and read the clever and fairly short bio of RuPaul in the March 8 issue of The New Yorker. It's interesting that his husband Georges has a 60,000-acred ranch in Wyoming. I wonder if we could have our next rendezvous or BBQ there.

I didn't see anything about Cece Real or Ecce Rale there, but it does mention the Tennessee Williams play "Camino Real." That was the first performance RuPaul appeared in in drag, as a 15-year-old. The bio is by Ronan Farrow who seems entirely at home in RuPaul's world.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3503 on: March 22, 2024, 02:13:53 pm »
So I guess I'm a month behind, now, but if you didn't read the Feb. 26 article about the efforts to sell weed legally in New York City, I can recommend going back and reading it simply for its entertainment value. I found it entertaining that the author, Jia Tolentino, self-identifies as "a devoted stoner" and then writes, "[N]o one has ever actually died from too much weed."

(Did you notice what I did there? I don't know Jia Tolentino's insisted-upon pronouns, so I wrote the sentence to avoid using a pronoun.

I wonder when TNY will start including insisted-upon pronouns in the contributor list?)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 01:20:43 pm by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3504 on: March 22, 2024, 03:55:45 pm »
(Did you notice what I did there? I don't know Jia Tolentino's insisted-upon pronouns, so I wrote the sentence to avoid using a pronoun.

I wonder when TNY will start including insisted-upon pronouns in the contributor list?)

I guess you can never be sure of anybody's pronouns these days, but I have sat in a meeting where fellow reporters talked to Jia Tolentino remotely and she appears to be a woman. She also used to write for Jezebel, a woman's website. So I'm going to boldly go with she/her.

(As to why we met with Jia, I'm in a group at work that picks out articles people think were well written and researched, then talks to the authors. Some members liked an article she wrote about people's emotions about climate change. https://www.newyorker.com/news/annals-of-a-warming-planet/what-to-do-with-climate-emotions)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3505 on: March 23, 2024, 11:27:30 am »
... I don't know Jia Tolentino's insisted-upon pronouns, so I wrote the sentence to avoid using a pronoun.

I wonder when TNY will start including insisted-upon pronouns in the contributor list?

Interesting that you used the words "insisted-upon" twice. I thought the term was "preferred." Can you say more about that?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3506 on: March 23, 2024, 01:26:34 pm »
Interesting that you used the words "insisted-upon" twice. I thought the term was "preferred." Can you say more about that?

It's been my personal experience that people who don't want to be referred to by traditional male or female pronouns can be quite insistent about that and even get offended if you slip up, so I feel they are "insisted upon" rather than "preferred."

I suppose there are some people who don't get offended and just quietly correct you.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3507 on: March 23, 2024, 01:28:57 pm »
I guess you can never be sure of anybody's pronouns these days, but I have sat in a meeting where fellow reporters talked to Jia Tolentino remotely and she appears to be a woman. She also used to write for Jezebel, a woman's website. So I'm going to boldly go with she/her.

Now that you mention it, I think you have mentioned it before; it sounds familiar. I just suppose you can't necessarily depend on what pronouns the person wants used based on their appearance.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3508 on: March 23, 2024, 07:44:40 pm »
Well, I have had a related problem nearly my whole life. I have a name that is gender neutral, so people who don't know me often assume I am a man. Many times people (usually men) would write to me about some business or other and the letter would start "Dear Mr. Lee R." I find this annoying but am resigned to it. However, I hardly ever end up doing business with such people.

Then, if I do somehow exchange phone calls with the business person, it amazes me how often, even after I've talked with them by phone, that they still assume I'm a man! And there have been more than a few times when, once I meet them in person, they are shocked to see that I am a woman. And they seem to feel like I'm some kind of impersonator or have been trying to trick them. This has led to some comical job interviews.

It is really interesting to see how their excitement at possibly doing business with me evaporates once they realize that I am just some...woman. I don't bother to even take offense. It's not worth it.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3509 on: March 23, 2024, 08:35:14 pm »
I was once mistaken for a woman on a phone call.  ::)