Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1922058 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #630 on: March 19, 2013, 01:28:01 pm »
I'm also reading the article about Aaron Swartz, the computer genius who ended his own life.

I'm reading a lot of downers right now.  :-\

I can understand Swartz's feelings that his life was an imposition on the planet, and his dislike of imposing on other people, even people like librarians, who exist to be imposed upon (because their job is to help people find things).
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #631 on: March 19, 2013, 01:35:02 pm »
I´ve read that article too and have watched a number of youtube videos with Aaron.
He was great and a true visionary.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #632 on: March 20, 2013, 05:55:46 pm »
Here's an article about fact-checking the inaccuracies Truman Capote's "In Cold Blood" series in the New Yorker, which of course ironically is known for scrupulous fact-checking and accuracy. Among other things, it mentions that William Shawn himself scrawled "How know?" about a scene describing solo actions by someone who'd been murdered.

Needless to say, the standards for nonfiction applied to ICB would not hold up today, at the New Yorker or a lot of other places.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2013/03/fact_checking_in_cold_blood_what_the_new_yorker_s_fact_checker_missed.html

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #633 on: March 21, 2013, 01:03:20 pm »
I'm now reading the profile of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg (March 11). This article is a good illustration of why I like The New Yorker: the profiles. Even now, 20 years after she joined the Supremes, I really knew nothing about her background until I began to read this article.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #634 on: March 22, 2013, 12:56:27 pm »
It's interesting to see the similarities and contasts between Ginsburg and O'Connor. O'Connor was just interviewed on NPR's Fresh Air show in connection with her autobiography. O'Connor was a difficult interview subject for Terry Gross. She refused to answer several questions, including some that seemed totally innocuous.

I'm reading the profile of Australia's mining heiress. It's kind of squalid, I mean sordid.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #635 on: March 22, 2013, 01:40:01 pm »
I just started the article on the horrible attack on the artistic director of the Bolshoi.  :(

I didn't know he was once a principal dancer there, but it makes sense.

I've finished this article, and it turned into a real rip-snorter. Who needs Black Swan when you've got this real-life drama at the Bolshoi? This story has it all: flamboyant, jealous, temperamental artists, fat Russian oligarchs who are "patrons" of ballerinas (like something right out of the 19th century), money, conspiracy, violence. It's like an episode of Murder, She Wrote only without Jessica Fletcher!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #636 on: April 04, 2013, 01:00:40 pm »
OK, how annoying is this? As difficult as it is for me to keep up with my New Yorkers, yesterday I finished one issue, and today I forgot to bring the next issue with me to read at lunch!  >:(  :laugh:

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #637 on: April 06, 2013, 10:19:11 am »
OK, how annoying is this? As difficult as it is for me to keep up with my New Yorkers, yesterday I finished one issue, and today I forgot to bring the next issue with me to read at lunch!  >:(  :laugh:

"Yesterday, I finished one issue" ... words that, sadly, I never hear myself say! I read an article or two, but they never get "finished" until I get into my most ruthless possible mood and go through the pile and start tossing.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #638 on: April 06, 2013, 10:21:34 am »
David Sedaris' piece in the newish one is pretty good. I mean, he's never NOT good. This particular subject isn't as exciting as some -- it's about the red tape involved when he and Hugh renew their permanent-resident status in England -- so maybe his life is just so settled down and successful that he's running short on experiences with comedic possibilities. But I did LOL a few times, as usual.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #639 on: April 06, 2013, 10:40:18 am »
I like my friends' diverse styles of reading TNY. Jeff scrupulously studies while Katherine only selects the cream of the crop to read. My style used to be to start at the very beginning and read through to the end, or when the new issue comes, drop the old one like a hot potato and just finish it if I got laid off or sick. After a major election is over, I usually toss the stack of older issues, sending them to my mom's retirement home or the hospital waiting room. Lately, however, I just carry my issue around in my briefcase until it's obsolete, never having time to crack it open. I read specific stories online sometimes.
"chewing gum and duct tape"