Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1920872 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 12:11:30 pm »
Jesus H.!  :o

OMG, no! That would be beyond awful. The New Yorker made it through the Depression!

During the Depression, it didn't have to compete with the Internet. Nobody did.  :-\

As much as it pains me, I think I can see why if I had something to sell I'd be reluctant to spend money on an ad in The New Yorker. As a reader, I almost never look at the ads. The ads are just those columns on the outside of the pages where you hold the magazine without covering up any of the text you are reading.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 12:14:03 pm »
In the January 26 issue, the one with the cover of President Obama as the Father of His Country, I recommend Atul Gawande's article on how national health insurance came into being in other countries, and what those examples could suggest for the U.S.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 12:14:59 pm »

OMG, no! That would be beyond awful. The New Yorker made it through the Depression!

Exactly. That's what I was thinking.

Si Newhouse has deep pockets. I hope!

I read something in the last few days--must find it--that in the future quality journalism will have to rely on philanthropy--

:(
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 12:26:06 pm »
As much as it pains me, I think I can see why if I had something to sell I'd be reluctant to spend money on an ad in The New Yorker. As a reader, I almost never look at the ads. The ads are just those columns on the outside of the pages where you hold the magazine without covering up any of the text you are reading.

Me neither. But then, I don't look at the ads in any magazine or newspaper or website. The only ads I pay attention to, frankly, are the ones on TV. For some reason, even the stupid ones often hold my attention.

Exactly. That's what I was thinking.

Si Newhouse has deep pockets. I hope!

I read something in the last few days--must find it--that in the future quality journalism will have to rely on philanthropy--

:(

As a former employee of another Newhouse publication, I was thankful that as a privately held company they were not beholden to stockholders' relentless demands for profitability (unlike, say, Knight-Ridder, which was forced by stockholders to sell off all of its newspapers). I've always sensed that S.I. sees the New Yorker as a source of pride and prestige more than income. I hope.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 07:00:00 pm »
In this week's issue, I'm reading an interesting article about tinnitus and hearing loss, from which I suffer. It's called "That Buzzing Sound."

Me neither. But then, I don't look at the ads in any magazine or newspaper or website. The only ads I pay attention to, frankly, are the ones on TV. For some reason, even the stupid ones often hold my attention.

Maybe you're one of those "kinetic learners" K!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 09:54:40 pm »

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/06/business/media/06mag.html?scp=3&sq=%22New%20Yorker%22&st=cse

New Publisher Named at the New Yorker

By RICHARD PÉREZ-PEÑA
Published: February 5, 2009

Condé Nast Publications named a new publisher for The New Yorker   on Thursday and put the magazine’s previous publisher in charge of Internet ad sales for the entire company. The move is part of a continuing reorganization as the company grapples with the magazine industry’s plunging ad revenue.

Drew Schutte, publisher of The New Yorker  for the last year, became senior vice president and chief revenue officer of Condé Nast Digital,  heading the recently consolidated ad sales force for all of the company’s magazines. That reorganization ended a fragmented approach and, executives said, reflected a recognition that the company had lagged the industry in building Internet revenue.

Lisa Hughes, The New Yorker ’s new vice president and publisher, had been vice president and publisher of Condé Nast Traveler  since 1995, making that magazine a rare island of stability at a privately held company that has been known for frequent executive shake-ups.

She takes over a magazine clearly in need of help. The New Yorker ’s ad pages dropped 26.8 percent in 2008, far more than other Condé Nast titles, and more than double the industrywide decline of 11.7 percent. Financial services ads, a New Yorker  mainstay, were among the hardest-hit categories last year.

The New Yorker  was operating in the black in early 2008, but not by the end of the year, according to company executives who were granted anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss finances.

One Condé Nast executive said Mr. Schutte’s stewardship of The New Yorker  was never intended as a long-term arrangement, and that the digital job is a better fit for him, with his extensive background in technology magazines and their Internet operations. Before going to The New Yorker,  he was vice president and publishing director of Condé Nast’s Wired Media, which includes Wired  magazine.

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 01:36:55 pm »

http://www.newyorker.com/online/2009/02/09/slideshow_090209_eustacetilley?slide=1#showHeader

Album
Your Eustace, 2009
February 9, 2009

We held our second annual contest soliciting readers’ takes on Eustace Tilley, the magazine’s mascot, who appeared on the cover of the first issue of The New Yorker as well as almost every anniversary issue since. More than three hundred readers responded. Looking for humor and originality, we picked twelve favorites.

Here is a portfolio of the twelve winning entries, which we feel would have made Rea Irvin, the creator of the original cover, proud. A sample of the winning covers also appears in the February 9 and 16, 2009, issue of the magazine, which celebrates our eighty-fourth anniversary.

All of this year’s entries can be found at our gallery; you can also browse last year’s winners and all entries from 2008.

“NYC Taxi Eustace”
Eric Almendral
North Hollywood, Calif

“Social Butterflies Get All the Looks”
Charlene Chua
Toronto, Ontario

“Eustace.Mobi”
David Leonard
West Orange, N.J.

“The Tilley that Dare Not Speak Its Name”
Dave Ortega
Somerville, Mass.

“A Walk in the Park”
Gary Amaro
Berkeley, Calif.

“Eustace Banksy”
Marcus Thiele
Knoxville, Tenn.

“Eustace de Stijl-ley“
Erin Zingré
Fort Scott, Kan.

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 02:27:13 pm »

http://www.newyorker.com/online/2008/02/11/slideshow_080211_tilleycontest

(A Sampling of
Last Year's)
Album
Your Eustace
February 3, 2008

“Used to See the Winter Sky, Till He Draped My Only Eye”
Jason Luz
Long Beach, California

“X-ray Tilley”
Adam Koford
Saint Cloud, Florida

“Henri Touleustace Latilley”
Jennifer Culbertson
Dallas, Texas

“Leather Daddy Eustace”
Jerrold Connors
Alameda, California

“Eustace Tilley’s Tattoo:
Always at the Forefront of What Is Truly Hip”
Brian Butler
Roxbury, Massachusetts

“Frankeneustace”
Peter Emmerich
Yonkers, New York

“The Springfieldian”
Gary Amaro and Claire B. Cotts
Berkeley, California

"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2009, 03:20:30 pm »
Swweeet! I love the mouse and the greyhound best! I wonder what Eustace's nickname would be??

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2009, 06:39:13 pm »
I've seen "Leather Daddy Eustace" before. He looks astonishingly like my friend Dusty, so much so that I actually printed a copy of the image and have it hanging on my refrigerator. I also sent a copy to Dusty; he never did tell me what he thought of it.  :-\