Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1924530 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2009, 12:26:12 pm »
I highly recommend Ariel Levy's piece about feminism in the books section of the Nov. 16 New Yorker, which I read just last night. I find that I keep recommending Ariel Levy articles here. I did so even before she joined the NYer staff, so I feel a bit cutting edge, myself!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2009, 01:09:01 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation, friend. I will read it tout suite!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2009, 02:45:22 pm »
Wow, that was a very powerful article, especially considering how short it was. It brought back a lot of memories too.

I also read her bio of Caster Semenya in the Nov 30 issue, and that was very powerful as well. What a trauma that poor girl has faced!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2009, 03:20:10 pm »
I haven't read that one yet, but I will make a point of it!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2010, 08:33:01 pm »
Anybody else read "A Risky Proposal" in the Jan. 18 New Yorker, an account of the effort to get the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn Prop. 8, by a team whose two leaders are a prominent Democratic trial lawyer and the 69-year-old, conservative, former solicitor general under George W. Bush?

Maybe some of you have followed this case on a day-to-day basis, but it's new to me, and fascinating!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2010, 09:51:50 pm »
Anybody else read "A Risky Proposal" in the Jan. 18 New Yorker, an account of the effort to get the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn Prop. 8, by a team whose two leaders are a prominent Democratic trial lawyer and the 69-year-old, conservative, former solicitor general under George W. Bush?

Maybe some of you have followed this case on a day-to-day basis, but it's new to me, and fascinating!

I've read it, and MargeInnavera has posted links to blogs of the testimony on her blog.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2010, 09:54:15 pm »
I highly recommend Ariel Levy's piece about feminism in the books section of the Nov. 16 New Yorker, which I read just last night. I find that I keep recommending Ariel Levy articles here. I did so even before she joined the NYer staff, so I feel a bit cutting edge, myself!

Ariel Levy's account of her own wedding to her girlfriend was posted on some thread around here somewhere quite some time ago. I think the thread was about gay weddings.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2010, 11:28:00 am »
Ariel Levy's account of her own wedding to her girlfriend was posted on some thread around here somewhere quite some time ago. I think the thread was about gay weddings.

:laugh:  I was the one who posted it. The gay weddings thread was created just for it.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2010, 02:42:13 pm »
Everybody should read Jane Mayer's article, "The Trial: Eric Holder and the Battle over Khalid Sheikh Mohammed," in the Feb. 15 and 22 issue (the annual anniversary issue). Mayer does a wonderful job of laying out the whole sequence of events and the issues involved.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2010, 03:41:10 pm »
Thanks for the tip, Friend!

You know, this thread is a great service to New Yorker subscribers. Who has time to read all of the articles -- or even most, or even (some weeks) any? And frankly, some weeks there isn't much in the table of contents that excites me. Yet there are so many wonderful pieces, I never want to risk missing anything really good.