Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1922481 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #490 on: April 25, 2012, 01:26:55 pm »
At lunch today I was entertainingly appalled by another Lauren Collins article, this one in the April 16 issue, about Brits (specifically university students) on holiday in Croatia--or what we in the colonies should say, on spring break. In response to the article, all I can really say is, No wonder they lost the empire. ...  8)

OTOH, it's kind of comforting to know that spring breakers from the U.K. aren't very different from spring breakers in the U.S. I was afraid it was just us. ...  8)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #491 on: April 28, 2012, 02:37:39 pm »
I'm in the middle of three New Yorker stories from three different issues simultaneously: the Robert Caro one about LBJ's experiences during Kennedy's assassination, Jill Lepore's article about the madness of our gun culture, and the one about whether Obama made missteps in handling the economy.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #492 on: April 28, 2012, 07:49:52 pm »

No wonder you have a hard time writing some times.   Wow, are you doing research?

Beautiful mind

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #493 on: May 29, 2012, 01:59:28 pm »
In the May 21 issue, I read the "Talk of the Town" mini profile of Dustin Lance Black (Milk). I was charmed to read there that according to the mother of author Pat Conroy, "All Southern literature can be summed up in these words: 'On the night the hogs ate Willie, Mama died when she heard what Daddy did to Sister.'"
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #494 on: May 31, 2012, 09:18:12 pm »
In the May 21 issue, I read the "Talk of the Town" mini profile of Dustin Lance Black (Milk). I was charmed to read there that according to the mother of author Pat Conroy, "All Southern literature can be summed up in these words: 'On the night the hogs ate Willie, Mama died when she heard what Daddy did to Sister.'"

That WAS funny.

I'm so pleased to see that the double fiction issue that just arrived has an article by Ray Bradbury and also one by Anthony Burgess of Clockwork Orange fame. The articles are both very good. Bradbury is still whip smart!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #495 on: June 07, 2012, 10:44:04 am »
I'm so pleased to see that the double fiction issue that just arrived has an article by Ray Bradbury and also one by Anthony Burgess of Clockwork Orange fame. The articles are both very good. Bradbury is still whip smart!

Now I'm going to reread that article since it's probably the last thing we'll have the opportunity to read from him.  :'(

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #496 on: July 18, 2012, 01:05:48 pm »
I wonder whether Mr. Shawn ever permitted a deliberate sentence fragment, like this one:

(From the July 2 story by William Finnegan about the Mexican drug cartels fighting over Guadalajara)

"They were local people who had recently gone missing. Ordinary citizens, not narcos, kidnapped and murdered. Four were said to have been students at the University of Guadalajara."

At least, I assume it's deliberate.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #497 on: July 18, 2012, 04:02:36 pm »
Well, there were lots of similar fragments in Brokeback Mountain, which was published by the New Yorker in 1997. But I think Tina Brown was editor then.

Is that really a sentence fragment? It has a subject and two verbs.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #498 on: July 18, 2012, 07:07:08 pm »
Is that really a sentence fragment? It has a subject and two verbs.

Something is certainly wrong with it. Kidnap and murder are verbs--maybe transitive verbs--needing to pass their action on to a direct object? And they don't do that here. The meaning is that ordinary citizens were kidnapped and murdered, not that ordinary citizens kidnapped and murdered other people. But the were is missing.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #499 on: July 18, 2012, 09:41:49 pm »
I agree that something's wrong with it. But Annie Proulx uses wrong sentences effectively. However, this one's confusing too.