Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1922265 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #610 on: February 08, 2013, 11:22:51 pm »
I finished the Dr. Oz profile today. Seems like he's turned into a bit of a snake oil peddlar himself. Too bad.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #611 on: February 09, 2013, 01:34:53 pm »
I finished the Dr. Oz profile today. Seems like he's turned into a bit of a snake oil peddlar himself. Too bad.  :(

His is a familiar face on Facebook, in ads hawking unrealistic diet plans. For example, I just went there now and quickly saw this:

Dr.Óz Diet: Lose 27 lbs Monthly

Its beén called the hollywood diét and it rapidly melts belly fat like nothing else ! DrÓz

(Not sure why all those accents aigus appeared.)

Rachel Ray is on there a lot, too, in ads claiming she lost tons of weight with this one little secret.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #612 on: February 11, 2013, 02:52:40 pm »
Over lunch today I started to read Jon Lee Anderson's article in the Jan. 28 issue about Hugo Chavez and Venezuela. The part early in the article about the rise and fall of Caracas really made me sad.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #613 on: February 18, 2013, 11:29:43 am »
Last night I sat by the fire and read about the female mass shooter Amy Bishop.

I read that article over the weekend. What a tragedy.  :(

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #614 on: February 20, 2013, 02:17:09 pm »
Today I finished Ian Frazier's article on Staten Island after Sandy. I was struck by his use of a comment about the beeping of trucks backing up as a kind of refrain.

Of course I've also greatly enjoyed Kelefa Sanneh's article on Islay scotch. I'm sure I'll never find any Bruichladdich in a Pennsylvania liquor store (the sale of spirituous liquors is a state monopoly here).

(Feb. 11 and 18 issue, the annual anniversary issue)

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #615 on: February 20, 2013, 03:30:14 pm »
Of course I've also greatly enjoyed Kelefa Sanneh's article on Islay scotch. I'm sure I'll never find any Bruichladdich in a Pennsylvania liquor store (the sale of spirituous liquors is a state monopoly here).

I'm reading that article too. I'll start hunting around. There's a British pub here that boasts the largest collection of single malt Scotches in the US. I'd check there but I heard they were shut down recently for license violations.  >:(
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #616 on: February 20, 2013, 04:24:15 pm »
I'm reading that article too. I'll start hunting around. There's a British pub here that boasts the largest collection of single malt Scotches in the US. I'd check there but I heard they were shut down recently for license violations.  >:(

We must remember that it's Eye-lah and Brook-laddy.  ;D

Incidentally, I've been wondering about Kelefa Sanneh since I started seeing his by-line in The New Yorker. I forgot that he wrote the article about Jeremiah Wright.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelefa_Sanneh

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #617 on: February 28, 2013, 01:47:24 pm »
At lunch today I read Dexter Filkins' article in the Feb. 25 issue. I'm glad I did; I didn't know that in the Syrian civil war, Hezbollah is fighting for the Assad regime.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #618 on: February 28, 2013, 07:02:09 pm »
I've had to go back and read some of the issues from over the holidays because I was too busy and crazy to read them when they came out. I'm currently reading "Utopian for Beginners" by Joshua Foer in the Dec 24-Dec 31 double issue. It's great...I love any article about words, language, and linguists. This issue also has "Recall of the Wild" by Elizabeth Kolbert and an article about being gay in Africa.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #619 on: March 04, 2013, 09:53:49 pm »
I'm reading that article too. I'll start hunting around. There's a British pub here that boasts the largest collection of single malt Scotches in the US. I'd check there but I heard they were shut down recently for license violations.  >:(

Pints Pub has reopened; yay! I was there yesterday and noticed that they have not one but four Bruichladdiches on the menu. I was attending a meeting that had a test as part of it, and was driving besides so I wasn't able to partake. Here's the website for the place: http://www.pintspub.com/