Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1922121 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #670 on: August 18, 2013, 04:16:14 pm »
Over supper last night I finished Ariel Levy's Aug. 5 article about the Steubenville, OH, rape case and the woman who blogged about it.

OT, but are teenagers stupider today than in my day, or have advances in technology just made it easier for them to exhibit the same level of stupidity that was always there?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #671 on: August 19, 2013, 09:39:52 am »
It took me days, but I finally finished the long piece about civil asset forfeiture in Aug 12-19 issue. It sounds like a duty article, but it's actually fascinating and horrifying. It will shake your faith in the United States. A friend had something similar happen to him -- on a much smaller scale -- so I know how widespread this seemingly unconstitutional yet widely "legal" practice is.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #672 on: August 19, 2013, 11:39:35 am »
It took me days, but I finally finished the long piece about civil asset forfeiture in Aug 12-19 issue. It sounds like a duty article, but it's actually fascinating and horrifying. It will shake your faith in the United States. A friend had something similar happen to him -- on a much smaller scale -- so I know how widespread this seemingly unconstitutional yet widely "legal" practice is.

That was a very scary article to read.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #673 on: August 19, 2013, 01:36:47 pm »
So, over lunch today I read Robert Gottlieb's (Aug. 12 and 19) review of Boris Kachka's Hothouse, about Roger Straus and his publishing house, Farrar, Straus & Giroux. Clearly to have had a career in publishing, I picked both the wrong ancestors and the wrong half of the twentieth century in which to be born.  :-\

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #674 on: August 20, 2013, 11:16:13 am »
I didn't read that review but I read the one in the Wall Street Journal last Saturday and concluded that Hothouse is a must-read!

I just look longingly at my New Yorkers covers these days. Between spiffing up the house to sell, my rental housing, and a couple of groups I am member of that have textbook assignments, and my own book I am writing, I don't even have time to peruse the Hamley's Saddle Catalogue! But I did leaf through the latest issue briefly and was delighted that almost every cartoon was quite funny. I even LOLed a couple of times! Is it just when you're in the right mood that many of the cartoons seem funny, or is it something they do at the magazine?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #675 on: August 21, 2013, 01:27:11 am »
I even LOLed a couple of times! Is it just when you're in the right mood that many of the cartoons seem funny, or is it something they do at the magazine?

Yeah, some weeks the cartoon editor says, "Know what? Let's use funny ones this week!"  :laugh:

I actually feel that way sometimes, but about the written content. Some issues I find half a dozen pieces that look really enticing. Other issues, everything looks meh or "duty." Most, of course, are in between.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #676 on: August 21, 2013, 09:12:43 am »
I actually feel that way sometimes, but about the written content. Some issues I find half a dozen pieces that look really enticing. Other issues, everything looks meh or "duty." Most, of course, are in between.

Yup, I feel exactly the same way. Some weeks it seems there is nothing that I'm really interested in, others like I need to read the entire magazine from cover to cover.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #677 on: August 21, 2013, 01:24:34 pm »
At lunch today I really enjoyed Ben McGrath's Aug. 12 and 19 story about women's professional softball.  :D

Makes me want to run right out to see A League of Their Own, which I've never seen.  :-\

Bull Durham, too. ...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #678 on: August 21, 2013, 04:45:11 pm »
Makes me want to run right out to see A League of Their Own, which I've never seen.  :-\

I saw just yesterday that that was airing on some cable channel late at night. I was on my way to record a different show and thought about recording it, but didn't. I saw it when it came out, and didn't feel compelled to see it again. Maybe I'll read the article and change my mind.

Bull Durham, too. ...

That I've seen, probably three times. Which means it's really good -- the only movie I've seen more than three times is, well, the one I saw 22 times.

I've said it before, but Kevin Costner is always enjoyable in light romantic comedies (less so in dramas).

But of course, BD isn't about women's professional softball.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #679 on: August 21, 2013, 06:28:18 pm »

I can highly recommend this film as a fun evening's entertainment.  A great film by Penny Marshall, with Geena Davis, Rosie O'Donnell (!), Tom Hanks, and Madonna, in a supporting role.  She plays "All the Way May" LOL.  With a bizarre cameo by Jon Lovitz.