Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1921707 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #940 on: July 24, 2014, 11:34:31 am »
I wondered why the link was so easy to access on Stone Soup! Hopefully, they'll open up access to their archive for everyone!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #941 on: July 24, 2014, 12:52:40 pm »
Speaking of Stone Soup, I'm reading it right now and noticed this line (emphasis mine): "Livestock are major sources of greenhouse-gas emissions, not just because of the fuel it takes to raise them but also because they do things like belch out methane and produce lots of shit, which in turn produces lots of nitrous oxide."

Mr. Shawn must be turning in his grave knowing that swear words are now preferred to more formal terms in articles that are otherwise pretty straightforward journalism. I myself prefer "shit" to "excrement" or "feces" here, although "manure" might have been the best choice.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #942 on: July 24, 2014, 01:34:49 pm »
Speaking of Stone Soup, I'm reading it right now and noticed this line (emphasis mine): "Livestock are major sources of greenhouse-gas emissions, not just because of the fuel it takes to raise them but also because they do things like belch out methane and produce lots of shit, which in turn produces lots of nitrous oxide."

Mr. Shawn must be turning in his grave knowing that swear words are now preferred to more formal terms in articles that are otherwise pretty straightforward journalism. I myself prefer "shit" to "excrement" or "feces" here, although "manure" might have been the best choice.

Or, perhaps, "waste material," which is somewhat euphemistic, I guess, but would still get the point across.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #943 on: August 05, 2014, 01:23:19 pm »
I just enjoyed the July 28 article about Ronda Rousey, the M.M.A. fighter.  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #944 on: August 07, 2014, 10:50:45 am »
I enjoyed the profile recently of Richard Linklater -- a fascinating guy, and I'm looking forward to seeing Boyhood.

Now I'm reading Michelle Goldberg's article about the conflict between radical feminists and transgender women -- the "radfems" don't think transgender women should be allowed to play in their reindeer games because if they started out as men they had all of the privilege and power that maleness confers, even if they ultimately chose to waive it.

It's OK, but once you get the point it gets sort of repetitive. Or at least it has so far.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #945 on: August 07, 2014, 12:12:46 pm »
Now I'm reading Michelle Goldberg's article about the conflict between radical feminists and transgender women -- the "radfems" don't think transgender women should be allowed to play in their reindeer games because if they started out as men they had all of the privilege and power that maleness confers, even if they ultimately chose to waive it.

It's OK, but once you get the point it gets sort of repetitive. Or at least it has so far.

I read that, and I almost feel that I should read it again, and this time "in one sitting." Reading it in parts at different times, I found myself being unable to remember who was who, and what were the various positions advocated.  :-\

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #946 on: August 08, 2014, 10:51:11 am »
I read that, and I almost feel that I should read it again, and this time "in one sitting." Reading it in parts at different times, I found myself being unable to remember who was who, and what were the various positions advocated.  :-\

I'm reading it in multiple sittings, too, but frankly I'm not intensely interested because the politics of the radical feminists seem so marginal. Most feminists, I think, support transgender people. Or at least "feminism" as a movement takes no stance against them.

Someone apparently wrote a piece triumphantly pointing to this article as evidence that "feminism is dead."  ::)  Yeahno.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #947 on: August 08, 2014, 11:05:40 am »
I'm reading it in multiple sittings, too, but frankly I'm not intensely interested because the politics of the radical feminists seem so marginal. Most feminists, I think, support transgender people. Or at least "feminism" as a movement takes no stance against them.

Someone apparently wrote a piece triumphantly pointing to this article as evidence that "feminism is dead."  ::)  Yeahno.

I'm frankly puzzled by all the fuss over bathroom usage, but then I'm a guy, so. ...  :-\

Especially in the case of individuals who have had complete gender reassignment surgery.

Not that I think someone should be checking.  :-\

I was also vaguely bothered by a suspicion that some of the writers might have a point--at least, a bit of a point--with regard to individuals who take medications--hormones?--to grow breasts up top, but stop short of getting rid of their manparts down below.

The whole article was of interest to me because it seems lately that our local gay paper has had more articles about transgender issues than about gay issues--and at least to some extent there is a need for it, because in the last ten years or so transgender individuals in this city have been the victims of crimes--murders--that have been every bit as horrific as Matthew Shepard's, if not more so (at least Matthew wasn't dismembered)--and the police have not exactly been falling all over themselves to solve them.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 01:42:53 pm by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #948 on: August 09, 2014, 05:06:03 pm »
I'm frankly puzzled by all the fuss over bathroom usage, but then I'm a guy, so. ...  :-\

Especially in the case of individuals who have had complete gender reassignment surgery.

Not that I think someone should be checking.  :-\

I think the idea is that the transgender people don't feel that bathrooms of either gender provide safe environments. I suppose if they've had reassignment surgery and don't "look transgender" it would be less of an issue.

But only a minority of transgender people have surgery. I imagine it's a combination of expense, the trauma of such major surgery and maybe the potentially disappointing results? I wrote a long profile of a trangender woman 20 years ago who worked, often undetected, as a fashion model, but had not had surgery (she once lost a modeling job when someone burst into her dressing room at the wrong time). She was in a long-term relationship with a guy who claimed to be straight but said he was fine with her anatomy.

I was also vaguely bothered by a suspicion that some of the writers might have a point--at least, a bit of a point--with regard to individuals who take medications--hormones?--to grow breasts up top, but stop short of getting rid of their manparts down below.

I guess since the whole is about having the person feel comfortable with their gender presentation, if that's what makes them most comfortable it doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

The whole article was of interest to me because it seems lately that our local gay paper has had more articles about transgender issues than about gay issues--and at least to some extent there is a need for it, because in the last ten years or so transgender individuals in this city have been the victims of crimes--murders--that have been every bit as horrific as Matthew Shepards, if not more so (at least Matthew wasn't dismembered)--and the police have not exactly been falling all over themselves to solve them.

Yes, from what I've heard at this point transgender people are subject to much more bias and violence than gay people. Which I guess shows some progress for gay people, at least.  :-\

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #949 on: August 18, 2014, 01:39:55 pm »
David Remnick's article about Putin (Aug. 11 & 18) is a useful read, not exactly a duty article.