Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1921015 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #2290 on: January 05, 2020, 09:01:23 pm »
It's okay with me to stray away from discussing the NY for a bit. . .I was very disappointed with their comic issue. Didn't laugh once.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2291 on: January 05, 2020, 09:36:59 pm »
It's okay with me to stray away from discussing the NY for a bit. . .I was very disappointed with their comic issue. Didn't laugh once.

Over dinner I read the article about early animation.  I had no idea animation existed so early in the history of  movies.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2292 on: January 06, 2020, 12:37:09 pm »

I haven't even flipped through it. At first I was eager to see it, then I remembered I don't like most of the cartoons in the regular magazine. I thought maybe I would jump right to a Roz Chast section, if there is one, and go through that.

Over dinner I read the article about early animation.  I had no idea animation existed so early in the history of  movies.

That sounds interesting.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2293 on: January 06, 2020, 02:36:43 pm »
I haven't even flipped through it. At first I was eager to see it, then I remembered I don't like most of the cartoons in the regular magazine. I thought maybe I would jump right to a Roz Chast section, if there is one, and go through that.

Adam Gopnik's profile of her was very funny to me. I read it over lunch, and I couldn't stop laughing (I'm still laughing). People looked at me funny.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2294 on: January 06, 2020, 11:52:01 pm »
Adam Gopnik's profile of her was very funny to me. I read it over lunch, and I couldn't stop laughing (I'm still laughing). People looked at me funny.

Adam Gopnik profiled Roz Chast? In my reference above, I just meant I figured there'd be a section of her stuff amid all the lesser cartoons. I've definitely got to open that issue!  :o :D

When I was in San Francisco a couple of years ago, a gallery near my hotel had a Roz Chast show going on. It was kind of a hectic trip and I didn't make it there, but I always kind of wish I had.

Hers aren't the only funny NYer cartoons, but she's by far the most reliably funny/interesting cartoonist among a lot of kind of mediocre ones.

Given how high the bar is for publishing articles, stories, reviews and essays in the New Yorker (and poetry, I assume, though in that case I don't know) it's kind of amazing how the cartoons are pretty meh and many of the Shouts & Murmurs aren't funny (though some are).

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2295 on: January 12, 2020, 06:36:07 pm »
Lee, have you read the Ariel Gore story about pain (and mostly lack thereof) in, I think, the second to last one? (I'm confused because I received two at once the other day; they were a week apart so the first one was late).

Anyway, it focuses on a couple in Scotland with character attributes I'm sure you'll appreciate.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2296 on: January 12, 2020, 10:58:06 pm »
And Robert Louis Stevenson's characterization of the climate of Scotland.  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2297 on: January 13, 2020, 10:52:26 pm »
Lee, have you read the Ariel Gore story about pain (and mostly lack thereof) in, I think, the second to last one? (I'm confused because I received two at once the other day; they were a week apart so the first one was late).

Anyway, it focuses on a couple in Scotland with character attributes I'm sure you'll appreciate.

Yes, that was an amazing article on so many levels. And, yes, I caught the RLS quote. I have his book on Edinburgh.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2298 on: January 14, 2020, 09:44:40 am »
Ordinarily I like reading John McPhee, but I think his Jan. 13 piece is kind of lame.

I had no idea he was that old.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2299 on: January 14, 2020, 10:36:36 am »
Ordinarily I like reading John McPhee, but I think his Jan. 13 piece is kind of lame.

I had no idea he was that old.

[*googles*] Oh yeah, he is pretty old.

Sorry to hear about that piece. It's about writing, right? I've liked his previous pieces about writing.