Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1922834 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #2480 on: July 22, 2020, 05:12:19 pm »
I was going to make a comment about the "latest" issue, but then another one came today! July 27. It's interesting too, though, because it appears most if not all of the articles are from long-ago issues. At first I wondered, what could Calvin Trillin have to say about Martin Luther King Jr.? Well, maybe not much in 2020 but plenty in 1964. But my first tip off was the fiction: Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery."

But the issue before that,  July 20, has several interesting articles, including one by Jill Lepore on the history of police. Also one about the history of plagues that I've referred to recently when talking to people who think all this mask and stay-home business is stupid and COVID is no longer a threat. Plagues, of course, usually went on for years, killing a third of Europe and so on.

But the point of the plague piece is that plagues are actually good in a way because they refresh society, helped launched the Renaissance, stuff like that.

My first thought was, that's excellent news! Everything will be better! Then -- oh, wait. It usually takes about a century or so.

But here's the most amazing thing about the July 20 issue. The Shouts & Murmurs is actually funny, something I've seen happen maybe five times in its entire history. Also, I literally LOLed at *two* of their cartoons, which has almost never happened in the entire history of the New Yorker. At least since James Thurber moved on.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2481 on: July 23, 2020, 08:42:19 am »
I'm still way behind in my issues. I'm only up to the July 6 & 13 issues, though, of course, I always jump ahead and read anything by Jill Lepore as soon as I see her by-line.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2482 on: July 23, 2020, 10:57:55 am »
I'm still way behind in my issues. I'm only up to the July 6 & 13 issues, though, of course, I always jump ahead and read anything by Jill Lepore as soon as I see her by-line.

I think you're much more methodical (and probably neater) than I am. I've got stacks of New Yorkers in several places in the house, many of them open to a particular article I was reading but then got distracted by something else.

Was Jeffrey Toobin's piece about how Robert Mueller screwed up in the July 6/13 issue? Anyway, I read that all the way through because the overall thesis and some of the individual points are interesting, but the play-by-play is really boring to read from beginning to end. I suppose he's writing for history or something, but I would have preferred that in about 1,000 words.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2483 on: July 23, 2020, 11:18:29 am »
I think you're much more methodical (and probably neater) than I am. I've got stacks of New Yorkers in several places in the house, many of them open to a particular article I was reading but then got distracted by something else.

I've been reading just about everything in every issue, and in the order they arrive (except for skipping ahead for Jill Lepore), which isn't necessarily my usual habit.

Was Jeffrey Toobin's piece about how Robert Mueller screwed up in the July 6/13 issue? Anyway, I read that all the way through because the overall thesis and some of the individual points are interesting, but the play-by-play is really boring to read from beginning to end. I suppose he's writing for history or something, but I would have preferred that in about 1,000 words.

Yes, its that issue. I started that article yesterday. I'm not very far along, and already I'm horrified at the opportunity that was missed. (I've been pissed off at John Bolton for waiting to write a book instead of coming forward when he might have done some good, but that's another matter.)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2484 on: July 23, 2020, 12:15:56 pm »
Yes, its that issue. I started that article yesterday. I'm not very far along, and already I'm horrified at the opportunity that was missed. (I've been pissed off at John Bolton for waiting to write a book instead of coming forward when he might have done some good, but that's another matter.)

I would have preferred it in bullet points, actually.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2485 on: July 24, 2020, 09:06:13 pm »
Today I read the July 6 & 13 issue article about rabbit fever. The parallels are obvious; I'm sure that's why they ran it.

It looks like all plagues come out of China.

From time to time I've thought I would like to have a rabbit as a pet.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 04:17:41 pm by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2486 on: July 25, 2020, 09:35:27 am »
From time to time I've thought I would like to have a rabbit as a pet.

I had one in about seventh grade. Not long after I got it, I was showing it off to some of the neighbor kids. I took it out of its cage and set it on the grass.

I'd forgotten that our dog, Twinkle, had gotten loose earlier in the day, as she was wont to do -- disappearing until she eventually came home or was picked up by a dog catcher.

Picture an idyllic scene of children circled around a cute bunny. Suddenly Twinkle shot out of the woods behind the house and through our group. She didn't even slow down. I could hear the rabbit squeaking and we threw stuff at Twinkle, but to no avail.

Not long afterward, I got another rabbit, which also didn't last long. Not a victim of violence, i don't think; it appeared to have dug its way out of its cage somehow.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2487 on: July 29, 2020, 09:59:27 am »
It looks like all plagues come out of China.

What??? I thought Dr. Fauci created the coronavirus?! Fox News says so!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2488 on: July 29, 2020, 10:10:02 am »
What??? I thought Dr. Fauci created the coronavirus?! Fox News says so!

Not all by himself! He had help from Bill Gates and George Soros.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2489 on: July 29, 2020, 09:17:11 pm »
Oh, no, it's definitely China. Isn't it the Kung Fu Flu?