Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1920914 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #2560 on: November 23, 2020, 07:24:40 pm »
Read the article about Margaret Fuller in the July 27 issue today. I went through my pile of New Yorkers to find it because I read a good letter in a later issue praising it.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2561 on: November 28, 2020, 10:06:58 pm »
Well, I am now six issues behind. How that happened I still have no idea. I believe I've been reading more articles than I have in the past. Also, I took two issues with me to my dad's, and while I was there I didn't open either one of them.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2562 on: November 29, 2020, 05:03:17 pm »
Well, I am now six issues behind. How that happened I still have no idea. I believe I've been reading more articles than I have in the past. Also, I took two issues with me to my dad's, and while I was there I didn't open either one of them.  :-\

No time to read? I guess I should already know this, but do you drive to your dad's? Do you rent a car?

If you could take a train or bus, you'd have some reading time.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2563 on: November 29, 2020, 09:40:53 pm »
Well, it's only a 90-minutes train ride. Most times I have to fight to stay awake. On my way home on Friday, I read "Stolen Valor" (Oct. 26).
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2564 on: December 04, 2020, 09:42:26 am »
Well, I'm now six weeks behind and counting.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2565 on: December 04, 2020, 12:49:25 pm »
When I get seriously behind, I put away the stack of old NYers and start in on the latest one. I save the unread NYers for a snowstorm or when I'm sick. Also, I'm getting rid of all the pre-election NYers.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2566 on: December 04, 2020, 12:59:07 pm »
Also, I'm getting rid of all the pre-election NYers.

I love it when some decisive historical change makes old NYers obsolete. It's the main reason I voted for Biden.

The new NYers are coming in fast and furious! I get one, set it aside to read when I can, and before I even have a chance to pick it up here's a new one. I looked at the latest issue's ToC yesterday and only a couple of the articles looked tempting. I'm going to try to stick to the ones in whose author or subject I have genuine interest and skip the "duty" articles (kudos again to Jeff for supplying that perfect name and concept!).

Also, I keep up with a fair amount of TV and movie news just in my normal online life. Not that I always, or even usually, watch the shows, but I'm at least dimly aware of their existence. So why does the magazine so rarely review shows whose titles I even recognize?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2567 on: December 04, 2020, 01:51:24 pm »
The new NYers are coming in fast and furious! I get one, set it aside to read when I can, and before I even have a chance to pick it up here's a new one.

That's my situation exactly.

I looked at the latest issue's ToC yesterday and only a couple of the articles looked tempting. I'm going to try to stick to the ones in whose author or subject I have genuine interest and skip the "duty" articles

That's what I'm going to have to do.

(kudos again to Jeff for supplying that perfect name and concept!).

I thought it was you who came up with that?  ???

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2568 on: December 04, 2020, 03:19:45 pm »
I thought it was you who came up with that?  ???

I don't think so. I've long had that feeling about articles I thought of as important but boring. As I recall, you gave them that snappy name.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2569 on: December 04, 2020, 05:49:34 pm »
I don't think so. I've long had that feeling about articles I thought of as important but boring. As I recall, you gave them that snappy name.

Your memory is better than mine. I would have sworn I picked it up from you!  :laugh:

I don't think I need finish the Oct. 26 article about Eugene Scalia basically destroying O.S.H.A. I imagine Biden will throw him out on his ear.  :laugh: