Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1921680 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #2800 on: July 15, 2021, 09:39:15 am »
So where did Kyle Rittenhouse's family come from?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Rittenhouse

I don?t know how to do it, but I know someone who, whenever some idiot like Tucker Carson rants about immigrants on TV, traces his family back to the immigrant generation and posts it.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2801 on: July 16, 2021, 09:40:16 am »
I noticed that you both used the word knucklehead recently, so I looked it up. Apparently, the engine of a Harley-Davidson motorcycle is called a knucklehead because it resembles a fist with knuckles. I have always spelled it nucklehead but I guess that's not right.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2802 on: July 16, 2021, 03:25:01 pm »
I noticed that you both used the word knucklehead recently, so I looked it up.

The Three Stooges used knucklehead a lot.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2803 on: July 16, 2021, 03:26:44 pm »
I don?t know how to do it, but I know someone who, whenever some idiot like Tucker Carson rants about immigrants on TV, traces his family back to the immigrant generation and posts it.

When it's done properly and scholarly, genealogy is long, hard work.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2804 on: July 16, 2021, 03:40:01 pm »
Yesterday, a friend used "knucklehead" to describe a stranger on Facebook who left a comment under my profile pic that said "You look like a braindead liberal."  :laugh: I thought "knucklehead" actually wasn't quite a strong enough word, especially because this friend is usually good at colorful verbiage, but I appreciated his and others' defense.

I replied to the guy, "I don't discuss my political leanings on social media so I can tell you only that you're half right."

Because of my job I'm careful not to get too political or partisan on FB. Kelda wondered if the stranger had seen me comment elsewhere. I told her I didn't usually comment politically unless saying things like vaccines are good, which should not be a partisan comment in the first place. (Hardcore Trump-supporting Republicans are going to kill themselves off and be outnumbered by Democrats.)

I also felt OK a few days earlier about replying to a transphobic guy who vociferously argued that a person's gender identity must match their DNA. "Follow the science," he said. I believe human rights should not be politicized either, so I told him that science is never conclusive and why the hell does he care anyway -- someone else's gender identity affects his life in no way.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2805 on: July 16, 2021, 09:21:22 pm »
Because of my job I'm careful not to get too political or partisan on FB. Kelda wondered if the stranger had seen me comment elsewhere. I told her I didn't usually comment politically unless saying things like vaccines are good, which should not be a partisan comment in the first place. (Hardcore Trump-supporting Republicans are going to kill themselves off and be outnumbered by Democrats.)

An ace pitcher for the Philadelphia Phillies just came off the COVID protocol because he had been exposed to someone who had been exposed. He was quoted on the sports section of local evening news as saying he had no intention of getting vaccinated.

Somebody should take a Louisville Slugger to his head. ...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2806 on: July 16, 2021, 09:23:33 pm »
I read the July 5 article about Sun Ra (and his Arkestra) because I knew his name as a Philadelphia resident. He has a marker on the Philadelphia Music Walk of Fame. I had no idea he was actually a pretty big deal.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2807 on: July 26, 2021, 06:16:05 pm »
I believe human rights should not be politicized either, so I told him that science is never conclusive and why the hell does he care anyway -- someone else's gender identity affects his life in no way.

So true! You go, person!!

I heard a radio show that said gender is on a continuum, it is not black and white. There are more gender fluid people than redheads, they said.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2808 on: July 27, 2021, 04:39:15 pm »
So true! You go, person!!

I heard a radio show that said gender is on a continuum, it is not black and white. There are more gender fluid people than redheads, they said.

It's hard to say with something nobody even knew existed 20 years ago and now seems common to the point of being fashionable.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2809 on: July 30, 2021, 12:43:43 pm »
We all knew it existed. We just didn't talk about it. Remember The Crying Game and Boys Don't Cry?