Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1922054 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #2830 on: August 27, 2021, 11:28:03 am »
I forgot to mention that almost everybody in the store, including me, was wearing a mask.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2831 on: August 27, 2021, 12:20:43 pm »
I went out today to a bookstore that is 10 miles away! Not very environmentally correct of me but it's getting so good bookstores are few and far between. At least I didn't order on Amazon.

Why is this environmentally incorrect?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2832 on: August 27, 2021, 07:56:16 pm »
To get in my car and travel such a long way just to buy a book. I should have taken a bus or a train but public transit is very inadequate where I live.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2833 on: September 01, 2021, 04:00:56 pm »
It's an archival issue this week around the theme of food. I don't mind an archival issue but I've read three of the articles already and remember them.  :-\

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2834 on: September 02, 2021, 12:08:53 pm »
I went out today to a bookstore that is 10 miles away! Not very environmentally correct of me but it's getting so good bookstores are few and far between. At least I didn't order on Amazon.

The Tattered Cover is still there, I hope??

I confess to the evil deed of ordering things on Amazon, just because it's so easy. My Kindle hasn't worked with my new wifi, so I haven't ordered anything lately, but I'm getting one of those huge new iPhones in a day or two, which may be big enough to read a book comfortably.

You can also by ebooks from Barnes & Noble. I haven't heard of them doing anything evil.

But another option is to get the digital version from the library. At least a couple of people I know have library memberships in several cities so if a book is popular (as I'm sure that one is, for example, given the good reviews) you can get on numerous waiting lists and borrow it from a library anywhere. As I understand it, at least -- I haven't actually tried it yet.

I found the book Real Estate by Deborah :Levy, which was reviewed in TNY a couple of weeks ago. Started it and like it well. I forgot I don't usually like autobiographies, but this one seems okay so far. Not too self-absorbed.

I wonder what she considers the difference between autobiography and memoir. Memoirs are among my favorite genres. I don't think of them as self-absorbed; the good ones read like novels that happen to be about real people and their real lives.

I just started reading The Yellow House, a memoir by Sarah M. Broom. It's about her family's house in New Orleans and involves Katrina, so it's especially interesting to me and timely now.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-yellow-house-sarah-broom/1129761250?ean=9780802149039

One thing Amazon has over B&N is its "look inside the book" and "send a sample" features.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2835 on: September 02, 2021, 12:36:58 pm »
The Tattered Cover is still there, I hope??
Yes, that's where I went. It has changed hands recently, so everybody is crossing their fingers that it will continue its tradition of excellence.

I wonder what she considers the difference between autobiography and memoir. Memoirs are among my favorite genres. I don't think of them as self-absorbed; the good ones read like novels that happen to be about real people and their real lives.
I think of memoirs as looking back at a life and having perspective. An autobiography I think of as more of a diary.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2836 on: September 02, 2021, 03:23:03 pm »
I think of memoirs as looking back at a life and having perspective. An autobiography I think of as more of a diary.

That makes sense. An autobiography is a full historical account, which best befits a major public figure. I'm trying to think of what ones I've read; I rarely even read biographies. Whereas the subject of a memoir doesn't need to be famous, as it's all about the writing and the particular experience.

Glad the TC is OK for now!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2837 on: September 02, 2021, 10:17:00 pm »
Glad the TC is OK for now!

Me, too, though Heaven only knows if I'll ever get there again.  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2838 on: September 03, 2021, 01:22:28 pm »
Those really famous bookstores are cool. Powell's in Portland, Prairie Lights in Iowa City, Shakespeare & Co. in NYC. Also City Lights in San Francisco (which I haven't been to).

Minneapolis has bookstores but never the equivalent aside from maybe Louise Erdrich's Birchbark Books. Which I've been to only once -- when interviewing Louise.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2839 on: September 03, 2021, 11:05:15 pm »
Last year, I went to Shakespeare and Company in Paris, just across the Seine from Notre Dame. It was a fun place but I was slightly disappointed because I was hunting for books in French for my grandchildren. All their books are in English! Why go to Paris and buy books in English? At a different bookstore, I got a book on medieval France for my older grandson, a book on ballet for my granddaughter, and a book called "Ou est Charlie?" (exactly like "Where's Waldo?") for my grandson Charile.