Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1167637 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #2850 on: September 13, 2021, 10:39:04 pm »
I believe I did, too, but I often read essays twice (there are several David Foster Wallace essays I've read at least three or four times). I never read Kitchen Confidential and probably won't get around to it, but Anthony Bourdaine was an interesting writer and person.

I should do a Google search. I'm wondering if any of the restaurants written about in the article still exist.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2851 on: September 15, 2021, 01:27:58 pm »
I didn't really get the Nabokov. Was it supposed to be funny, or what? But what a wonderful name: Bodo von Falternfels.  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2852 on: September 15, 2021, 07:04:50 pm »
I should do a Google search. I'm wondering if any of the restaurants written about in the article still exist.

Well, Brasserie Les Halles, where Bourdaine describes working, is referred to in past tense in Wikipedia.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2853 on: September 16, 2021, 01:28:21 pm »
I read Calvin Trillin on the Crawfish Festival. I've always enjoyed reading him.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2854 on: September 16, 2021, 09:38:19 pm »
I?ve probably mentioned this before but he came to my paper to speak to reporters 6 or 8 years ago. Had some good stories.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2855 on: September 17, 2021, 02:43:36 pm »
I read the Anthony Bourdain anyway. I liked the mention of the grill man with a body by Michelangelo and the waiter who's a part-time underwear model.  :D