Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1921274 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #2990 on: April 04, 2022, 09:55:28 pm »
I read Nick Paumgarten on the Latitude Margaritaville retirement communities (March 28). Paumgarten mentions (p. 62) that he had seen hardly any people of color in the community (that was all he mentioned). As I was reading the article, I was thinking of that, also that the population was overwhelmingly white, affluent, heterosexual, and married. There was no talk of widows husband hunting.

I also read Calvin Trillin on tuxedos. As a matter of fact, for a couple of years, I have been doing just what Trillin mentioned: I put the cuff links in the cuffs before I put the shirt on.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2991 on: April 05, 2022, 07:50:28 pm »
Yes, that was a fun read.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2992 on: April 14, 2022, 06:42:46 pm »
I put the March 14 issue down mid-article and it got buried by other reading. Today I took it up again and read the last of the article. I thought it was about people who go around looking for sheds and photographing them. That seems very Monty Python. Then, I looked back to the first page and "Thrill of the Hunt" by Abe Streep is about people who collect antlers that deer and elk have shed. They call them sheds.  :laugh:

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2993 on: April 14, 2022, 10:46:04 pm »
I put the March 14 issue down mid-article and it got buried by other reading. Today I took it up again and read the last of the article. I thought it was about people who go around looking for sheds and photographing them. That seems very Monty Python. Then, I looked back to the first page and "Thrill of the Hunt" by Abe Streep is about people who collect antlers that deer and elk have shed. They call them sheds.  :laugh:

Weird, I was just thinking about that but not in relation to the New Yorker, I don't think. I came across something about how Jackson, WY, has big deer-antler arches in its town square. I vaguely remember that from when my parents used to take the family on vacations in Jackson.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2994 on: April 24, 2022, 08:44:06 pm »
I thought it was pretty funny that one of Lauren Collins's sources for her article on the French serial killer expert (April 11) was Xaviera Hollander, "a former sex worker who now runs a bed-and-breakfast in Amsterdam." Collins quotes Hollander as referring to herself as "the happy hooker," but I remember she gained some notoriety when she published a memoir called The Happy Hooker.

Actually, I think it's pretty funny that a formerly notorious former sex worker now runs a bed-and-breakfast in Amsterdam, or anywhere, for that matter.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2995 on: May 09, 2022, 10:34:07 am »
Really enjoyed "London Calling" about the BBC, by Sam Knight in the April 18 issue. He tosses off pithy witticisms, one liners, and hilarities, sometimes all in the same sentence. Here is his take on Norman Tebbit, a minister in the Thatcher administration: "Norman Tebbit, her minister and loyal Rottweiler, once described it as that 'insufferable, smug, sanctimonious, na?ve, guilt-ridden, wet, pink orthodoxy of that sunset home of third-rate minds of that third-rate decade, the Sixties.'" Looking him up, I found that I've liked other articles by him as well.

In contrast, the preceding article by Elizabeth Kolbert about rights for trees, lakes, and places has such a plodding tone that it was hard to get through it. I know she has a lot of awards and accolades, but I need better writing. And the endangered natural features that she writes about need it too.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2996 on: May 15, 2022, 05:22:57 pm »
I am reading Luke Mogelson on conditions in Ukraine (May 9). It's chilling, absolutely chilling. Russian atrocities are beyond belief.

And yet, reading part of the article this afternoon, I found myself thinking, Don't fool yourself that it can't happen here.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2997 on: May 16, 2022, 09:39:29 am »
Somehow I missed that one so I fished that issue out of the recycling and put it back on my reading table.

In the latest issue (May 16) the fiction "Face in the Mirror" is really good. Not Prouxian, but very chilling and spare.

Finished up the article "Stir Crazy" by Ian Frazier in the April 11 issue. He writes about his own cabin fever experience, historical and literary ones, and the possible Putin cabin fever that may have led to the aggression against Ukraine. Very interesting.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 10:56:08 am by Front-Ranger »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2998 on: May 18, 2022, 01:01:08 pm »
Over lunch today I finished the article about Edna St. Vincent Millay (May 16). I'm not into poetry, so all I knew of her was the quatrain everyone knows: "My candle burns at both ends," etc. Apparently, however, she wrote some pretty racy stuff. In one poem she described a man as having a "body of flame and steel."

Wow!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2999 on: May 31, 2022, 01:00:09 pm »
I am again two weeks behind in reading my magazines because for a week I was devoting my reading time to a gay Science Fiction novel.