Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1920887 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #3010 on: July 10, 2022, 03:04:56 pm »
That sounds fascinating, friend! I will look for that book, for sure. Life is too short to read depressing novels.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3011 on: July 13, 2022, 04:30:47 pm »
The fiction issue is out and so far I've read two stories that were pretty good. Shirley Jackson seems to be having the same kind of year that Kate Bush is having. Her "Call Me Ishmael" is good writing and, what's more, it's only one page. The other good fiction piece is "Peking Duck" about a Chinese-American mother and daughter. It's not the usual stereotype.

I really liked the memoirs of David Wright Falud?, called "Mixeded". Three of the four one-page Road Trips articles are good too.

I'm reading a lot because I'm kind of bored, have writer's block, and have to rest between stints in the gardens. Maybe I have the summer doldrums.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3012 on: July 17, 2022, 09:40:58 pm »
I read the Shirley Jackson, but I don't get it. The Rachel Kushner I found depressing; I'll bet it's taken from a novel that will soon be published. I've seen that sort of thing often enough in TNY.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3013 on: July 17, 2022, 09:59:42 pm »

If you want to read some serious gay fiction that is not depressing, I cannot recommend highly enough a novel I'm just about to finish, Changing Tides, by Michael Thomas Ford (Kensington Books, 2007).

Kind of OT, but this novel has really sort-of taken possession of me. The main characters, Ben the marine biologist and Hudson the graduate student, have somehow become as real to me as Ennis and Jack. It's also stirred up memories.

At one point, Ben's daughter mentions Jacques Cousteau (who invented scuba gear), which of course reminded me of the National Geographic specials about Cousteau's work that ran on TV when I was a boy (not to mention the John Denver song). Perhaps more to the point, I remember on at least one occasion, noticing one or more members of Cousteau's crew in the background wearing brief (Speedo-like) swimsuits. Thereafter I watched for glimpses of crewmen dressed like that. (They were, of course, European, so no American male squeamishness about wearing such a swimsuit). The point of this is, I now see this as a very early indication that I'm gay.

The same sort of memory was stirred up when one of the supporting characters mentions that she had to read Of Mice and Men in school and didn't like it, which was exactly my response to it when I had to read it in school. In my case it was in 8th Grade English, and the memory is that the teacher was what I would now call a hottie. I estimate he was in his late 20s or very early 30s. He was tall, with curly dark brown hair and blue eyes. All the girls had crushes on him, and in retrospect I must have, too, otherwise how could I still see him right now in my memory's eye as clearly as if he were standing right next to me as I write this? After all, I had him as a teacher in 1971 or 1972! Dear God, I can still see him in that classroom as plain as day. Anyway, again in retrospect, this would seem to be another early indication that I'm gay.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3014 on: July 23, 2022, 10:20:21 am »
The July 25 Shouts & Murmurs is laugh-out-loud funny.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3015 on: July 23, 2022, 04:10:14 pm »
You were right! I LOLed three times! And then I read Jill Lepore's piece on the new Volkswagens. Very well written and some amusing, witty asides. The pickleball article was also good. I have several friends who are pickleball fanatics and I couldn't really understand the phenom. I also read about the super- and mega-yachts.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3016 on: July 23, 2022, 04:16:57 pm »
I started Lepore's piece, haven't read about pickleball yet. I should, though -- I won a pickleball set at music bingo night in my apartment building. My arm was broken, so I haven't been able to play, but I've lent the set to neighbors and they've played. Can't say I'm too excited about it; I really don't like games (except games like music bingo  :laugh:).

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3017 on: July 30, 2022, 02:07:25 pm »
Two in a row! The Aug. 1 Shouts & Murmurs is LOL hilarious again! You're on a roll, New Yorker!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3018 on: July 31, 2022, 09:26:12 pm »
I started Lepore's piece, haven't read about pickleball yet. I should, though -- I won a pickleball set at music bingo night in my apartment building. My arm was broken, so I haven't been able to play, but I've lent the set to neighbors and they've played. Can't say I'm too excited about it; I really don't like games (except games like music bingo  :laugh:).

:o

Did your horse get lucky? Did you damage your harmonica, too?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3019 on: August 01, 2022, 11:42:28 am »
:o

Did your horse get lucky? Did you damage your harmonica, too?

Oh, have I not mentioned that? I was out with my son on Mother's Day when I tripped and fell face-first into a brick wall. Broke my arm at the shoulder and an orbital bone. I was lucky -- didn't break jaw, teeth, nose, skull or even glasses. I've been doing PT at a place which is conveniently located at street level immediately below my apartment. Both bones are pretty close to healed now.