Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1924666 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #3050 on: August 29, 2022, 01:28:35 pm »
I missed getting the latest issue because of some hiccup in my subscription. It seems to happen every year. I get an email saying my subscription has been renewed and I think I'll see a charge on my credit card, but they don't do it that way. You have to physically pay for it, so I don't know what they mean by "renewing my subscription." And it seems like the price has gone up--$180 a year now.  :-\

But this is the archive issue anyway. In last year's archive issue I had already read most of the articles. I do dream about opening up the archive issue and seeing the title "Brokeback Mountain." Let me know if I missed that.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3051 on: August 29, 2022, 06:21:21 pm »
But this is the archive issue anyway. In last year's archive issue I had already read most of the articles. I do dream about opening up the archive issue and seeing the title "Brokeback Mountain." Let me know if I missed that.

No "Brokeback Mountain," but some pretty good stuff.

When it arrived I looked through the ToC, saw several bylines I hadn't seen in years, thought some of the subjects -- "Bob Dylan on the verge" -- sounded a little odd. But I didn't notice it was the Archival Issue until I started reading a Talk of the Town about hanging out with John Lennon and Yoko Ono.

You could always read it online, or call them and have them send you a print copy.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3052 on: September 07, 2022, 01:07:56 pm »
Yay! I'm receiving my New Yorker again! There's just something about the whole package of it that's just more rewarding than when it's a bunch of links on a screen. I like the way the cartoons and the little doodles are arranged on the page. I won't talk about the specific articles yet because I know most people haven't received their issue.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3053 on: September 07, 2022, 06:13:52 pm »
Yet another good Shouts & Murmurs! And three times the usual length. They must have a new editor.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3054 on: September 29, 2022, 01:02:28 pm »
I'm reading the Sept. 19 article about the Minneapolis restaurant that serves Indigenous food. Sounds great--especially the wild rice!

I don't think I'd care for fry bread (which isn't really indigenous, anyway). I've never had a funnel cake because I can't get past the smell of the deep fat they're fried in, so I don't think I could hack fry bread,  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3055 on: September 29, 2022, 01:27:53 pm »
That was a good article! I profiled Sean Sherman in my blog four months ago and since then he's appeared in the NY Times and now the New Yorker. It's nice being ahead of the crowd sometimes.

Fry bread can be really awful but it can also just be sort of like a tortilla and if you put the right toppings on it, it can be very delicious.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3056 on: September 29, 2022, 09:01:29 pm »
I've liked fry bread when I've had it, though it's been years.

But I've never been to that restaurant! I've got several possible opportunities coming up. Today is my son's birthday, 10 days ago was my ex-husband's birthday and one week from now is my birthday. Per family tradition, we always go out to at least a couple of nice dinners to celebrate. Then my other son is coming up from Chicago on the 15th, so another opportunity for fun restaurant visits.

Unfortunately, I bet Owamni is pretty hard to get into at this point.

Meanwhile, though, my stepmother is taking me to lunch on my birthday at the city's newest fanciest acclaimed restaurant, where the bronzini costs $70 and the servers can make upward (according to the son who's a waiter) of $200,000.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3057 on: September 29, 2022, 09:26:22 pm »
But I've never been to that restaurant! I've got several possible opportunities coming up. Today is my son's birthday, 10 days ago was my ex-husband's birthday and one week from now is my birthday. Per family tradition, we always go out to at least a couple of nice dinners to celebrate. Then my other son is coming up from Chicago on the 15th, so another opportunity for fun restaurant visits.

Nice!  :D

Unfortunately, I bet Owamni is pretty hard to get into at this point.

You're probably right about that.

Meanwhile, though, my stepmother is taking me to lunch on my birthday at the city's newest fanciest acclaimed restaurant, where the bronzini costs $70 and the servers can make upward (according to the son who's a waiter) of $200,000.

:o
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3058 on: October 04, 2022, 01:07:07 pm »
Today is October 4. As of yesterday's mail delivery, I have not received the issue that should have the cover date of yesterday, Monday, October 3.

Usually I get my issue ahead of the cover date.  ???

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3059 on: October 04, 2022, 04:44:42 pm »
Today is October 4. As of yesterday's mail delivery, I have not received the issue that should have the cover date of yesterday, Monday, October 3.

Usually I get my issue ahead of the cover date.  ???

Same situation here. Although I'm always so behind I can't keep track of when they're supposed to come. Usually just as I'm about to settle in with a new issue, there's another one in the mailbox.