Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1922410 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #3060 on: October 04, 2022, 09:58:43 pm »
Today is October 4. As of yesterday's mail delivery, I have not received the issue that should have the cover date of yesterday, Monday, October 3.

Usually I get my issue ahead of the cover date.  ???

Same situation here. Although I'm always so behind I can't keep track of when they're supposed to come. Usually just as I'm about to settle in with a new issue, there's another one in the mailbox.

Got it today.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3061 on: October 05, 2022, 11:22:45 am »
I don't recall much of anything worth reading in last week's issue, but in this week's, everyone should read "In the Filtration Camps" about Ukrainians detained by the Russians:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/10/10/inside-russias-filtration-camps-in-eastern-ukraine
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3062 on: October 05, 2022, 11:52:00 am »
I don't recall much of anything worth reading in last week's issue, but in this week's, everyone should read "In the Filtration Camps" about Ukrainians detained by the Russians:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/10/10/inside-russias-filtration-camps-in-eastern-ukraine

This is interesting to me: the online edition is released a week before the hard copy?

At the top of the article it actually says "October 10, 2022 issue." (There ought to be a comma after "2022."  ;D )

Perhaps I should see how to subscribe to the online edition--except that I have a difficult enough time keeping up with the hard copy.    :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3063 on: October 05, 2022, 10:09:04 pm »
This is interesting to me: the online edition is released a week before the hard copy?

At the top of the article it actually says "October 10, 2022 issue." (There ought to be a comma after "2022."  ;D )

Perhaps I should see how to subscribe to the online edition--except that I have a difficult enough time keeping up with the hard copy.    :(

Online editions typically go out before print.

If you subscribe to the print edition, you probably have access to the online edition already. You just have to set up an account.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3064 on: October 06, 2022, 08:45:35 am »
Online editions typically go out before print.

If you subscribe to the print edition, you probably have access to the online edition already. You just have to set up an account.

Thanks.

Not really relevant, but this reminds me that occasionally I'm now seeing TV commercials for movies that are being released in theaters before streaming. It only seems to be a day or two difference, but I still think it's interesting that Hollywood is apparently supporting movie theaters, even if only a little bit. I wouldn't think Hollywood would care, unless a studio also owns theaters and has to pay rent, or something.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3065 on: October 06, 2022, 11:19:54 am »
I went to the theater to see "Three Thousand Years of Longing" recently and there was a filmed introduction from the director, saying they had made the movie specifically to be shown in theaters and thanking the audience for coming out. Unfortunately there were only three people in the audience, including me.

What's with people these days? Yesterday I was in my front yard for about an hour and didn't see anyone other than a few people driving, biking, or walking their dog. It was a lovely fall evening.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3066 on: October 06, 2022, 04:44:12 pm »
I just got so used to streaming because it's more convenient and cheaper and I can put it on pause and I didn't want to sit in a theater wearing a mask for two hours.

But some movies are definitely better on big screens, and the popcorn is better than any you can get or make at home.

I assumed Hollywood would prefer theaters for higher profits but either the profits aren't that much higher or they just acquiesced to modern demands.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3067 on: October 06, 2022, 04:44:55 pm »
Just got the new issue. Some of the topics look intriguing.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3068 on: October 06, 2022, 09:55:14 pm »
Just got the new issue. Some of the topics look intriguing.

Mine came in the mail today, too.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3069 on: October 30, 2022, 12:48:52 pm »
The Shouts & Murmurs are back to being stupid and unfunny. For a brief time in midsummer there were 2 or 3 they were genuinely funny. Maybe the regular editor was on vacation. I can't imagine the New Yorker isn't deluged with submissions that are actually amusing, so I don't know why they don't run more.