Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1952617 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #3220 on: March 04, 2023, 12:27:01 pm »
I came across another one that I have yet to read:  Between You and Me:  Confessions of a Comma Queen by Mary Norris.  And the sequel: Greek to Me:  Adventures of a Comma Queen.  Fittingly, she writes for The New Yorker.

I believe these were on the list.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3221 on: March 04, 2023, 11:46:04 pm »
Katy, no, I've never heard of Gary G.  But it was kinda funny.  I liked the conTRACtor/CONtractor thingie. 

I highly recommend his standup (on HBO or Netflix?) called "The Great Depresh."

As for "so don't I," thanks for the warning for next time I visit New England. Now I won't have to give the person a blank look and say, "You don't what?"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3222 on: March 06, 2023, 08:45:12 pm »
I once wrote a newspaper story about people being overwhelmed by too much to read. I found in the process of doing it that not everybody has that problem. But my magazines and books felt like way more than I could keep up with! Punchline is that this was in the early '90s -- before I was on the internet.

When I lived in Michigan and my children were little, I received a lot of magazines because my husband was brand director of a liquor line. You couldn't advertise on television back then, so he only had magazines and special events to spend his $20 million ad budget on. I had a goal of reading a magazine per day, and I had to raise it to several per day later. I was a magazine reading freak! Those were the days...I guess some of those magazines have stopped publishing. Martha Stewart Living has and many others. So much work for journalists and photographers has come to an end. I wonder how people are getting by.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3223 on: March 07, 2023, 06:02:59 pm »
I guess some of those magazines have stopped publishing. Martha Stewart Living has and many others. So much work for journalists and photographers has come to an end. I wonder how people are getting by.

It has gotten a lot harder. Several of the magazines I've written for are RIP. Remember More? Also, Better Homes and Garden's Family Money, not sure about Working Mother, I think Parents is still around but all online now ... There are a lot more places to publish now but the pay is much worse. I once heard (this may be untrue or dated) TNY pays $10,000 for a print story and $150 for online. And the online Shouts & Murders are often better!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3224 on: March 08, 2023, 09:32:00 am »
Martha Stewart Living is no longer published? I'm shocked!  :o
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #3225 on: March 08, 2023, 03:56:44 pm »

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3226 on: March 09, 2023, 01:10:51 pm »
Isn't it amazing that she never looks any different?

Meanwhile, although things are hard economically for writers and photographers, my personal expenditures for subscriptions to newspapers and magazines has gone way up. Although I'm spending less on the New York Times because they cut a deal with me, I must spend close to $1K a year, subscribing to the Colorado Sun and various other publications. And my New Yorker subscription has more than doubled. Where's all this money going if not to the content creators?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3227 on: March 09, 2023, 02:47:44 pm »
Isn't it amazing that she never looks any different?

Meanwhile, although things are hard economically for writers and photographers, my personal expenditures for subscriptions to newspapers and magazines has gone way up. Although I'm spending less on the New York Times because they cut a deal with me, I must spend close to $1K a year, subscribing to the Colorado Sun and various other publications. And my New Yorker subscription has more than doubled. Where's all this money going if not to the content creators?

Good question. Journalism has never been a road to riches. But the staff of the NYT and the New Yorker must get paid enough to live in New York, at least maybe in Queens or New Jersey. The staff of the Colorado Sun, on the other hand, may not be able to keep up with skyrocketing home prices in Denver.

And thanks, you tipped me off about that NYT discount and now I have it, too!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3228 on: March 09, 2023, 04:36:46 pm »
Good question. Journalism has never been a road to riches. But the staff of the NYT and the New Yorker must get paid enough to live in New York, at least maybe in Queens or New Jersey. The staff of the Colorado Sun, on the other hand, may not be able to keep up with skyrocketing home prices in Denver.

By "staff," do you mean people like the fact-checkers (assuming they still have them) and Gottlieb, and so forth, as opposed to the writers?

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #3229 on: March 09, 2023, 05:01:16 pm »
And thanks, you tipped me off about that NYT discount and now I have it, too!

Do tell!  Or did I miss it?