Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1923808 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #3260 on: March 23, 2023, 10:12:22 am »
Could it be used in the sense of "all things great and small"?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3261 on: March 23, 2023, 10:20:22 am »
Could it be used in the sense of "all things great and small"?

Not that I know of. In the case of the paper, it was named after the coin because that's how much it cost.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3262 on: March 26, 2023, 12:23:45 pm »
Had to get the March 6 issue out of the recycling to read two articles I missed the first time around: Elizabeth Kolbert's "Control of Nature" about peecycling in Vermont, and "The End of the English Major" by Nathan Heller. It seemed quite ironic to be reading about English literature dying in a magazine that is one of the highest examples of English and is read by 1.2 million people. But the main point of the overlong article is that English literature is evolving and morphing into adjacent studies such as culture, history, and television programs.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3263 on: March 26, 2023, 01:00:16 pm »
Those adjacent studies are all good, too. As for the New Yorker's audience and the death of literature, that's a little over one in 300 Americans. That doesn't seem like a lot, but I don't know how that rate compares to earlier days.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3264 on: March 26, 2023, 01:14:33 pm »
I should have said "circulation" instead of "people". Would that include library readers, and those in the retirement homes I take my old issues to?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3265 on: March 26, 2023, 06:30:25 pm »
I should have said "circulation" instead of "people". Would that include library readers, and those in the retirement homes I take my old issues to?

I think some magazines keep track of both copies sold and estimated actual audience.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3266 on: April 01, 2023, 08:46:19 pm »
If you didn't read it, I recommend going back to March 20 and reading Elizabeth Kolbert on caterpillars. I'm enjoying it now. It's a fun read so far.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3267 on: April 03, 2023, 09:00:36 am »
If you didn't read it, I recommend going back to March 20 and reading Elizabeth Kolbert on caterpillars. I'm enjoying it now. It's a fun read so far.  :)

OK, I kind of take that back. The early part is fun, but the closer you get to the end, the darker and gloomier it gets.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3268 on: April 03, 2023, 01:45:37 pm »
She has one in the new issue that I haven't started yet but looks interesting, called "How animals use deception."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3269 on: April 03, 2023, 02:02:18 pm »
March 20 was quite the issue. We've already discussed Jill Lepore's "Pay Dirt" and the reviews are interesting. A very long article that I nevertheless enjoyed was "Magic Realism" by D. T. Max about a novelist named H. G. Carillo who was African-American from Detroit but created a new identity for himself as a Cuban. The fiction was good: "False Star" by Sterling HolyWhiteMountain. There was even a funny passage in the S&M "How to Tell If You're in a TV Show" by Emma Rathbone. Everyone and everything seemed to be represented: women, seeds, Gay authors, Indigenous people, Climate Change, caterpillars. Oh I forgot "Abolish the Poor" by Margaret Talbot. Also good. I didn't realize that perks of home ownership play a big role in keeping the well-off rich and the poor poor. Homeowners got $193 billion in 2020. I think I'm going to get at least one of the books she reviews.

Jeff, I wondered what you thought of the ad for Philadelphia that said "Betsy was the real badass."
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 06:03:06 pm by Front-Ranger »