Author Topic: The music "Spiritual" inspired Annie Proulx when writing the dozy embrace.  (Read 4479 times)

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
"The most difficult scene was the paragraph where, on the mountain, Ennis holds Jack and rocks back and forth, humming, the moment mixed with childhood loss and his refusal to admit he was holding a man.  This paragraph took forever to get right, and I played Charlie Hayden's and Pat Methany's 'Spiritual', from their album 'Beyod the Missouri Sky(Short Stories)' uncountable times, trying to get the words.  I was trying to write the inchoate feelings of Jack and Ennis, the sad impossibility of their liason, which for me was expressed in that music.  To this day, I cannot hear that track without Jack and Ennis appearing before me." -Annie Proulx

I loved this music upon first hearing it.  It has a somewhat, melancholy mood with a definate western feel.  It is sad and beautiful and unforgettable.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 02:01:42 am by adrian.delmar »
There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

Offline OverTheRainbow

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Love Is A Force Of Nature
    • My Livejournal
Re: The music "Spiritual" inspired Annie to write the dozy embrace.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 11:19:54 pm »
Wow, that's interesting! Thanks for sharing that! ;D

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 02:10:23 am »
Hi Adrian, yes, I downloaded it from iTunes when I read about it, and added it to my enhanced BBM soundtrack playlist I've made.  It's a very beautiful piece of music.  I wonder if anyone has told Charlie Haden?

Here is a youtube video of a slowed-down Dozy Embrace set to the tune.  Enjoy:

« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 02:20:23 am by Ellemeno »

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 03:11:51 pm »
Hi Adrian, yes, I downloaded it from iTunes when I read about it, and added it to my enhanced BBM soundtrack playlist I've made.  It's a very beautiful piece of music.  I wonder if anyone has told Charlie Haden?

Here is a youtube video of a slowed-down Dozy Embrace set to the tune.  Enjoy:

Thanks Clarissa.   Now try listening to the music, at dusk, while reading that scene from the book!  That is the feeling that Annie Proulx was experiencing while writing that scene.  There are lyrics too.  Apparently, I read, that 'Spiritual' was written by Charlie's son.  Not sure though.
There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

Offline stevenedel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • BBM - The Steven edition
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 03:40:32 pm »
Music and words of Spiritual were originally written by Charly Haden's son Josh. The text goes:

Jesus, I don't want to die alone
Jesus, oh Jesus, I don't want to die alone
My love wasn't true
Now all I have is you
Jesus, oh Jesus, I don't want to die alone.

Jesus, if you hear my last breath
Don't leave me here
Left to die a lonely death
I know I have sinned
But Lord, I'm suffering
Jesus, oh Jesus, if you hear my last breath.

All my troubles
all my pain
will leave me
once again
once again.

Of course, Proulx refers to the textless Haden/Metheny version, from their album "Beyond the Missouri Sky" (which I came across in a local store and bough on impulse because I love the title, and it has a gorgeous inside cover photograph of a big, cloudy, sunset sky. Frankly, apart from Spiritual, I don't care much for the rest that's on it... :-\)
If god had wanted people to be oppressed, he would have created bigger elephants. - Loesje

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 01:59:33 am »
Music and words of Spiritual were originally written by Charly Haden's son Josh. The text goes:

Of course, Proulx refers to the textless Haden/Metheny version, from their album "Beyond the Missouri Sky" (which I came across in a local store and bough on impulse because I love the title, and it has a gorgeous inside cover photograph of a big, cloudy, sunset sky. Frankly, apart from Spiritual, I don't care much for the rest that's on it... :-\)
Thank you stevenedel for all the great information.  I do agree, 'Spiritual' is a stand-out on the album, but I don't think I had even given the other songs a fair chance.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 02:09:48 am by adrian.delmar »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
There is another CD by Pat Methany Group that I like better, stevenedel and adrian. It is "Still Life Talking." I especially like the third track, Last Train Home.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
There is another CD by Pat Methany Group that I like better, stevenedel and adrian. It is "Still Life Talking." I especially like the third track, Last Train Home.
  Thanks Ranger, I will definately check it out.  But the reason I am so drawn to 'Spiritual' is because it is the music that Annie Proulx used to dream that beautiful scene both in the book and later, the film.  It has that faraway western feel, like that faraway look in Jack's eyes, as Ennis rode away........again.  I love her writing, and I think it was another hidden treasure to discover what was in her imagination when writing that frozen moment in Jack's memory.

adrian

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Here is the closing hymn we sang at Easter Sunday services today...the melody is very much like "Pat Methany's Spiritual". This is called "I Will Rise" and is written by Chris Tomlin.

"I Will Rise"

There's a peace I've come to know
Though my heart and flesh may fail
There's an anchor for my soul
I can say "It is well"

Jesus has overcome
And the grave is overwhelmed
The victory is won
He is risen from the dead

[Chorus:]
And I will rise when He calls my name
No more sorrow, no more pain