Author Topic: Nature journal  (Read 19500 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: Nature journal
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2006, 09:08:11 pm »
Took this photo yesterday, and thought I would share it with all my mates overseas.....

This bird is a KOOKABURRA....a native bird of australia........it is a protected species...makes a sound like someone laughing.....sometimes you here them communicating, and it sounds like there are 100 people outside laughing.....they are a very placid bird, and will eat out of your hand if they get used to you.....
Took this photo yesterday, and thought I would share it with all my mates overseas.....

This bird is a KOOKABURRA....a native bird of australia........it is a protected species...makes a sound like someone laughing.....sometimes you here them communicating, and it sounds like there are 100 people outside laughing.....they are a very placid bird, and will eat out of your hand if they get used to you.....

Would help if I attached the photo......
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Andrew

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2006, 09:34:48 pm »
How incredible to live in a place where those just fly around live!  I think these are the birds whose call Hollywood always used to put in the jungle movies.  They have one or two in the outdoor bird pavillion at the Boston zoo.  Now that I find out they are so friendly, I'm tempted to do something that would get me in trouble with the zoo staff!  (like try to feed them)

Offline Katie77

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2006, 09:50:07 pm »
Yes you are right Andrew, we have often wondered why they use the Kookaburra laugh as noise in jungle movies, when we know, that there would be no kookaburras there....but the sound is similar to monkeys calling too, so that might be what they are tryint to depict........

Not sure if they would eat out of your hand at the zoo.....what happens here, is if they get familiar with people who feed them reguarly, they will come in every day and take the food...usually minced beef, or any meat....when they pick up the food in their thick beak, they shake it, and you can hear their beak rattle...they often follow my hubbie around when he is mowing, to come down and get any grubs that might come up in the shortened grass.....

They are truely a beautiful fluffy bird....brown and white in colour....some have a blue streak down their back wing......

That one I took the photo of yesterday, was at a picnic spot at the beach..there was a pair of them...obviously well fed from picnic left overs......

Glad you liked the pic....

moremojo

A kookaburra song
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2006, 09:55:36 pm »
Hey, guys--

Your talk of kookaburras reminded me of an old song that my mother taught my sister and me as children. We used to sing it often during long car trips, so I associate it with many happy memories of my youth. I can't begin to imagine how my mother and her family came to know what I assume had to be an Australian song, but know it they did. I unfortunately can't remember most of the lyrics, and just a smattering of the tune, but the first line goes something like this:

"Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree..."

Do any of you know this song?

Reminiscing fondly,
Scott

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2006, 10:01:24 pm »
Kookaburra
Written by Marion Sinclair

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Merry, merry king of the bush is he
Laugh, Kookaburra!  Laugh, Kookaburra!
Gay your life must be.

Easting all the gum drops he can see
Stop, Kookaburra!  Stop, Kookaburra!
Leave some there for me.

Counting all the monkeys he can see
Stop, Kookaburra!  Stop, Kookaburra!
That's not a monkey, that's me.

Kookaburra sits on a rusty nail
Gets a boo-boo in his tail
Cry, Kookaburra!  Cry, Kookaburra!
Oh, how life can be.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 12:48:57 am by Fran »

moremojo

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2006, 10:05:48 pm »
Thanks, Fran! You have been the source of so many wondrous tidbits lately! :D

Interesting how the song obviously migrated at some point out of Australia. Would you happen to know anything of its history?

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2006, 10:08:32 pm »
I found this online:

"This song was written in 1936, and introduced at a Scout Jamboree in Melbourne, Australia.  In case you're wondering, a kookaburra is an Australian bird, and a 'gum tree' is what Americans know as a eucalyptus. The 'gum drops' that the kookaburra eats in the song are beads of the resinous sap."

I'm guessing it spread via the Boy Scouts organization.  BTW, I learned it as a Girl Scout.

There's nothing like a blast from the past, right?

Fran

« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 10:38:48 am by Fran »

moremojo

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2006, 10:11:40 pm »
Interesting...I had assumed the song was somewhat older than 1936. That was just six years before my mother was born.

Thanks again for all the info!

Offline Katie77

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2006, 06:53:41 am »
Gee thanks Fran.....nothing like learning about an Aussie song, about an Aussie bird, from a Yank........I didnt know the history of the song, but we all used to sing it here as kids.....dont know if the kids sing it still now at school.....i hope they do....

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2006, 10:40:02 am »
I found this online:

"This song was written in 1936, and introduced at a Scout Jamboree in Melbourne, Australia.  In case you're wondering, a kookaburra is an Australian bird, and a 'gum tree' is what Americans know as a eucalyptus. The 'gum drops' that the kookaburra eats in the song are beads of the resinous sap."

I'm guessing it spread via the Boy Scouts organization.  BTW, I learned it as a Girl Scout.

There's nothing like a blast from the past, right?

Fran

I was a girl scout too and remember singing that song as well.  Thanks for the informational tidbits.

And that was a great pic Katie.

EDITED TO ADD:  I guess I thought that the gum drops in the song were real candy gumdrops, otherwise why would we want to eat eucalyptus resin drops?  Or is that like a delicacy or something done by local folks in  Australia?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 11:37:48 am by delalluvia »