Author Topic: Remembering Heath - One Year Later  (Read 16963 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Remembering Heath - One Year Later
« on: January 27, 2009, 02:50:13 am »
From Popeater:

Remembering Heath Ledger, 1 Year Later

Jan. 22) -- It's hard to believe that one year ago, the altogether shocking and seemingly impossible news that Heath Ledger had passed away had been confirmed. The sheer out-of-the-blue surprise factor of his passing made it even tougher to swallow, and with his Golden Globe-winning and Oscar nominated turn as The Joker this year, it's only more evident just how big a talent was lost on that day.

In the days and weeks following Ledger's passing, the weight of the tragedy began to settle in among Hollywood and movie fans. Not only were the roots of Ledger's career firmly established, his stunning performance in 'Brokeback Mountain' in 2006 earned him an Oscar nomination. Now, his near-infamous diabolical portrayal of The Joker in 'The Dark Knight' has secured his legend and place in Hollywood history.

While accepting Ledger's Golden Globe award for best supporting actor, 'Knight' director Christopher Nolan said that after Heath's passing, "you saw a hole ripped in the future of cinema."

Few could have imagined that the awkward, love-struck Australian kid from '10 Things I Hate About You' would go on to become one of Hollywood's most adored actors. Even less could imagine how his fate would be sealed.

Off-screen, Ledger and his longtime girlfriend Michelle Williams became the proud parents of daughter Matilda in 2005. Williams and Ledger, who met on the set of 'Brokeback Mountain' in 2005, were engaged to be married but split in September of 2007.

Following his death, Williams said of the grieving process: "I just wake up each day in a slightly different place—grief is like a moving river, so that's what I mean by 'it's always changing.'"

Williams and Matilda -- who bears a near-exact resemblance to Ledger -- still reside in New York City, where their family started.

And so a year later, now that all of the rumors and gossip surrounding Ledger's death have been debunked or abandoned, the world is left with the best gift any actor could wish to give: A wealth of stunning performances that will live on forever for all to see and enjoy.

Pictures, Polls and Article Here

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Remembering Heath - One Year Later
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 08:51:54 am »
Thanks for posting such a lovely article.  I find these days it seems to hurt just as much as it did one year ago. I am dreading The maginarium coming out as that really will be the end. Until that moment I can indulge myself with the ridiculous game of kidology that I seem to be playing.

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 01:14:12 pm »
David, thanks for posting.  I hadn't seen that one yet.

Oh, and I like your new signature pic of Heath, but I do miss those cartoon doggies running across my screen.  I have to get my doggie fix wherever I can, now that I'm 2500 miles away from my dear Snowy girl, who Fiona is crazy enough to actually think *she* owns.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Oregondoggie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 03:10:43 am »
"Little Darlins"... as Ennis would say to you,

Last week, a year after that terrible day, I happened to be driving near Idaho's Bitteroot Mountains.  Really not so far from Brokeback Country, whether it's in Wyoming or Alberta.  Snow drifts clutch every tree, every rock.  Distant birds scratch at the gray sky.  So gloomy... until I got thinking about Heath.  He was Springtime, bubbling and crashing down the mountains, flinging Summer into meadows, wild with joy, that was Heath.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 01:42:28 pm »
"Little Darlins"... as Ennis would say to you,

Last week, a year after that terrible day, I happened to be driving near Idaho's Bitteroot Mountains.  Really not so far from Brokeback Country, whether it's in Wyoming or Alberta.  Snow drifts clutch every tree, every rock.  Distant birds scratch at the gray sky.  So gloomy... until I got thinking about Heath.  He was Springtime, bubbling and crashing down the mountains, flinging Summer into meadows, wild with joy, that was Heath.

beautiful words, thank you

Offline horo04

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 01:35:52 pm »
 I joined Bettermost in the early days  then decided not to come on anymore.  But when I heard of Heath's passing I decided to check out bettermost again.  Everyone came on at that time to pay their respects on here.  It's amazing how this movie has affected people in such a way...it's like we all lost a good friend eventhough most of us never met this actor.
"The mountains are calling and I must go"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 11:15:52 am »
"Pay our respects". I like that, Cory.

Today is a day to honor and give respect to Heath's memory. As time goes by, I just value him more and more, and think back wistfully to the time when he walked on earth.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Remembering Heath
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 12:27:52 pm »
"All the wild and breezy heath,
Forming many a gorgeous wreath.
Fragrant with thy odorous breath,
Be my emblem — bright and bold,

Happy in an humble station,
Lending smiles to desolation;
Blooming gaily, though so lowly,
Raising aspirations holy;

Thorny spines surrounding thee,
Yet kindly sheltering bird and bee."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Remembering Heath
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 08:30:57 pm »
"All the wild and breezy heath,
Forming many a gorgeous wreath.
Fragrant with thy odorous breath,
Be my emblem — bright and bold,

Happy in an humble station,
Lending smiles to desolation;
Blooming gaily, though so lowly,
Raising aspirations holy;

Thorny spines surrounding thee,
Yet kindly sheltering bird and bee."

Burns?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2021, 11:53:04 am »
Thirteen years--damn.

Remembering Heath Ledger, 1 Year Later

Jan. 22) -- It's hard to believe that one year ago, the altogether shocking and seemingly impossible news that Heath Ledger had passed away had been confirmed. The sheer out-of-the-blue surprise factor of his passing made it even tougher to swallow, and with his Golden Globe-winning and Oscar nominated turn as The Joker this year, it's only more evident just how big a talent was lost on that day.

In the days and weeks following Ledger's passing, the weight of the tragedy began to settle in among Hollywood and movie fans. Not only were the roots of Ledger's career firmly established, his stunning performance in 'Brokeback Mountain' in 2006 earned him an Oscar nomination. Now, his near-infamous diabolical portrayal of The Joker in 'The Dark Knight' has secured his legend and place in Hollywood history.

While accepting Ledger's Golden Globe award for best supporting actor, 'Knight' director Christopher Nolan said that after Heath's passing, "you saw a hole ripped in the future of cinema."

Few could have imagined that the awkward, love-struck Australian kid from '10 Things I Hate About You' would go on to become one of Hollywood's most adored actors. Even less could imagine how his fate would be sealed.

Off-screen, Ledger and his longtime girlfriend Michelle Williams became the proud parents of daughter Matilda in 2005. Williams and Ledger, who met on the set of 'Brokeback Mountain' in 2005, were engaged to be married but split in September of 2007.

Following his death, Williams said of the grieving process: "I just wake up each day in a slightly different place—grief is like a moving river, so that's what I mean by 'it's always changing.'"

Williams and Matilda -- who bears a near-exact resemblance to Ledger -- still reside in New York City, where their family started.

And so a year later, now that all of the rumors and gossip surrounding Ledger's death have been debunked or abandoned, the world is left with the best gift any actor could wish to give: A wealth of stunning performances that will live on forever for all to see and enjoy.

Pictures, Polls and Article Here