Author Topic: Stop the Hate  (Read 19433 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Welcome to the internet etiquette thread
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2009, 08:26:06 am »
The FAN-FIC-tionist labors to EXPAND
the PLOT beyond its AUTHOR's plans.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2009, 08:44:45 am »
The 'BLOGGER keeps an ONLINE DIARY
For COMMENTARY and self-inquiry.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2009, 09:53:38 am »
The NIGERIAN LETTER requesting money
Is a SCAM, and isn't FUNNY.

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2009, 10:26:54 am »
The BUNBURYIST's friend is always ailing
Or, so he tells his worried wife.
He falsely takes his leave, entailing
a drear debauched queer double life.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2009, 12:10:36 pm »
I can never understand WHAT is a TROLL.

Can someone, hopefully, many of you, give examples!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2009, 01:05:28 pm »
I will attempt to try, friend, but I don't really understand what a troll is either. However, I guess I would define it as a person who maliciously posts on a forum in order to subvert its purpose and cause disturbance. Since BetterMost's purpose is to use the insight that we gained from the book and movie Brokeback Mountain to improve ourselves and our world, a troll would attempt to criticize, judge, or tear down those works of art and our virtual community.

A person who would initially post sympatico messages and then all of a sudden turn against fellow Brokies might also be called a troll. I don't really espouse using the word troll, because a person who goes to all the trouble to do these things obviously cares about the subject and should be shown compassion as much as possible. I've seen instances where trolls have become a site's most ardent supporters and believers.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2009, 07:50:06 pm »
I think we all could learn a few lessions from you, David.  You're one of the most polite people at Bettermost.   :)

Good thread Gary. Thanks for starting it. I definitely agree with you that David is one of the most polite people at Bettermost!!!

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2009, 07:55:14 pm »
Don't post in anger.  If something makes you mad, give yourself some time to cool off before responding.  Not only will this help tamp down the level of hostility, but chances are you can make your case a lot better when you're calm.

Good one Gary! One of the biggest dangers of online communication is hitting that send button without thinking about what you are about to send. Like you say think about it. Go ahead and write what you feel, but wait awhile to send it. Go back later and read it, you may not feel the same way and you may be happy you didn't send it to anyone.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2009, 07:59:49 pm »
Nice thread, Gary.  ;)

I try, but I fail every now and then!  :P 8)

My granny was raised in the hills, so I have a little hillbilly in me!  :laugh: :laugh:

So do I and I have Shelton blood in me. In this neck of the woods having Shelton blood in you from Madison County can be a dangerous thing. It used to be known as Bloody Madison cause people would shoot first and not ask questions later or at all  ;D but it is calmer now.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2009, 09:06:38 pm »
Oh, I have hillbilly blood in me, too.  West Virginia was/is the home of the Hatfield family.  And Devil Ans Hatfield -- the patriarch of the clan that waged a vigilante war on the McCoys -- is venerated as a local cultural icon.  There's a statue of him in Logan county.

But as you say, Jack, things are calmer now.   8)   

Thanks for reading the thread and commenting. 

The Hatfields and the McCoys. I have heard of them. I think the area I am talking about is probably very similiar to West Viriginia. The Sheltons had feuds too and made moonshine  ;D Well maybe we should think about things like that........about how dumb feuds were and how little they accomplished. That fits in quite nicely with this thread. Guess we can keep the moonshine if you want to  ;D