Author Topic: We all know the grief, but how about the humor, the fun stuff?  (Read 12400 times)

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
We all have favorite parts.  What part makes you laugh the most?  I always laugh when Jack does his pretend bull ride in camp the first summer, falls down, and Ennis says, "I guess my Daddy was right."  and I can't help but laugh with Lureen when Jack tells her Daddy "Now you sit your ignorant ass down before I knock it into next week!" 
There is a lighter side to BBM. It's just not a strong as the serious side, but it's there and I'm glad it is.

Rayn

« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 01:43:45 am by Rayn »

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: We all know the grief, but how about the humor, the fun stuff?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 12:00:38 pm »
Yes i love the part where Jack tells his father in law to sit down....his choice of words are so good, and i always get a chuckle from them....

And the admiring look on Laureens face when he does it....

Makes jack seem like he is ten foot tall......
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 09:10:37 pm »
One of my favorite scenes on the mountain comes after Ennis sees the bear. The whole conversation about maybe shooting one of the sheep and then Ennis says "We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."  In fact, that line is on my Brokeaholic bumper sticker. Then Ennis shoots the elk and says "I'm tired of your dumb-ass missin'" I get a kick out of that whole section.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 09:29:27 pm »
Just thought of a funny bit, that I always notice......

When Aguire throws Ennis the watch, and he tries to put it on his wrist and it is too small to go around......the look on his face is gorgeous......

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 03:04:49 am »
I never noticed that Ennis tries to put the watch on, Katie77, I'll have to look at that again....any excuse to watch the movie one more time!

Hey tamarack, what exactly do the boys say to each other in the "shooting the elk scene"??  I can never understand what Jack says.

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 11:07:24 am »
Rayn, I turn the subtitle feature on when I can't understand a line. I also have the "Story to Screenplay" book which I recommend. After whooping when Ennis nails the elk  Jack says "Let's get a move on. Don't want the Game and Fish catch us with no elk." They obviously don't have a license so don't want to get caught.

In "Ed Wood" with Johnny Depp, the cops come by while they are shooting a scene in public. Ed/Johnny says, "We don't have a permit. RUN!" Which would also be apt in this case.

There are some subtle things (like the watch) that I hadn't noticed. Always an excuse to watch it agin!
cc33  :D

Oops - I got sidetracked and forgot to mention what I thought was funny. Definitely Lureen at the T-day dinner table. I love the scene where Ennis is going to see Jack after 4 years and he starts sitting by the window early in the day, watching for Jack, nervously flicking his Bic, drinking beer and smoking but not moving away from the window. The awkward pause in Aguirre's trailer before the boys realize they are 'dismissed.'
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 11:19:31 am by coffeecat33 »

Offline richardg49

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • 'Keep on trucking'
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 12:26:59 am »
There are some amusing 'sight gags', too:

1. The sign on Aguirre's trailer door: 'Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again'.

2. The name 'Versatile' on the tractor Jack is driving with his son Bobby.

3. The newpaper ad for 'Honey' just before the scene cuts to Jack saying to Lureen, 'Honey, have you seen my blue parka?'
I gave him what I hoped was that hopeful innocent puppy look that said “don’t you just want ta rub my tummy” rather than that hungry, ravenous wolf look that said “why don’t you just come out a that brick house so I can eat you up little pig?” LVH: 'What I did on my Day Off'

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 11:29:59 am »
Rayn, I turn the subtitle feature on when I can't understand a line. I also have the "Story to Screenplay" book which I recommend. After whooping when Ennis nails the elk  Jack says "Let's get a move on. Don't want the Game and Fish catch us with no elk." They obviously don't have a license so don't want to get caught.

Oh, ok, Jack says that so fast I could never understand it.... I'm in Asia with a DVD that only has one language on the subtitles, no English, so I can't use the subtitle feature, though I wish I could.  Thanks Coffeecat33!
And thanks for your additions to the fun...   Hey let's remember them jumpin' naked into the river ... I always get a kick out of that, what a fun thing to do!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 12:15:23 pm »
The expression of Ennis's face the morning after the FNIT when he first sits up...Jack saying "give 'em hell" when Ennis talks about going up to the sheep before the FNIT...

I USED to laugh outloud every time I'd see ther scene where Ennis punches Jack ouit...until asomeone explained to me that Ennis is informing Jack (a sort of pre-inform) that "it ain't gonna be that way." Jack was perefctly cheerful when he told Ennis "says, 'Bring 'em down'"...he doesn't realize that Ennis's plans are exactly the same as thery were at the beginning of the summer--that's why Ennis is so miserable about missing "a month's pay," and Jack doesn't seem to giver a damn.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Katie77

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 06:56:04 pm »
I think it was more the fact that their "love in" on the mountain was going to be over, that hurt Ennis more, than the one months pay......

I too see that scene of Ennis waking up the morning after the FNIT...hair ruffled, jeans around his knees, remembering, thinking to himself "What the f***".....,
no doubt had a huge headache too......