Author Topic: Another book with an iconic image from Brokeback Mountain  (Read 7085 times)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: Another book with an iconic image from Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 03:56:10 pm »

This one?

I think it´s from the scene that was cut when Ennis gives Jack a can of beans, and Jack gives Ennis a rifle.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 04:13:26 pm »
I think it´s from the scene that was cut when Ennis gives Jack a can of beans, and Jack gives Ennis a rifle.

Yup, it is. I've more of those pics (though I don't know about Ennis giving Jack a can of beans, but I've pics of the rifle thingie).

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 04:21:46 pm »
Yup, it is. I've more of those pics (though I don't know about Ennis giving Jack a can of beans, but I've pics of the rifle thingie).
I´ve read it somewhere. You can see the brown paper bag and the can of beans in the picture. I guess it was a way (again) show the difference between the two as the grew older. Ennis could afford to buy Jack beans while Jack bought Ennis a fancy riffle.

edit. I think I remember where I read it; in one of the earlier drafts of the script, that I read in Denver.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 04:40:47 pm »
I´ve read it somewhere. You can see the brown paper bag and the can of beans in the picture. I guess it was a way (again) show the difference between the two as the grew older. Ennis could afford to buy Jack beans while Jack bought Ennis a fancy riffle.

edit. I think I remember where I read it; in one of the earlier drafts of the script, that I read in Denver.

And what remained of the scene in the final cut is "Look what I brought" - "Beans" - "Gonna fix them just the way I used to."
It's barely audible, in fact all I understand is the first sentence, the rest I can only make out thanks to the text in the screenplay. But it's such a nice nostaliga on Ennis's part. :)

-----------

Sorry for highjacking your thread Karl. I'll shut up now.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 04:43:46 pm »
Ehm, ok, I won't shut up. But at least I'm back on topic :laugh:.

I'm somewhat sorry to report that Crash also has a "case study" essay, and Crash's is number 9.  The first sentence of the Crash essay is not as illustrious as the BBM opener.  "Crash is a well-intentioned social problem film about the racism and sexism of everyday life."   LOL, I enjoy the phrase "social problem film."

To me the first sentence about Crash sounds nice ;D. "Well-intentioned" - like in well-inentioned, but not well done ;)

Anyway, in general, this book looks very interesting.  There's a whole section, with many subsections, about the representation of disabilities on film called "Ability and American Film: Cinematic Images of (Dis)Ability", which seems like a particulary interesting topic.  Most of the sections are about race, gender and sexuality (as the book's title and subtitles suggest).

Thanks for your review of the book Amanda. Sounds interesting to me.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 04:47:36 pm »

This one?

Yes, I think this is the one... or one that's very much related to it.  I'm at work now and I don't have the book with me.  The book only reproduces it in black and white though.

I'm totally fascinated by what you're saying here in this discussion Chrissi and Buffy!  I hadn't known some of these details about how this scene was changed until now. 

I haven't read the whole essay about Brokeback in the book yet.  I wonder why the picked this particular photo to use as an illustration of the movie?  I'll report back more after I read the essay properly.

:)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 04:54:15 pm »

To me the first sentence about Crash sounds nice ;D. "Well-intentioned" - like in well-inentioned, but not well done ;)

I agree that "well-intentioned" barely sounds like a compliment... it does make it sound kind of mediocre.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 12:20:49 pm »
Well I am upset!  >:(

I ordered it on Amazon.com (another seller) and the book I got is an older copy.  The seller didn't tell me that the book he's selling is an edition that predates Brokeback Mountain.  I don't know if I should leave negative feedback or not. 

The only reason I bought the book was because the one on Amazon.com had an image from BBM and the book cover I got has a collage of movie images predating BBM.  I've bought many books from Amazon.com's other book suppliers and have never had this occur. Be forewarned that you get the latest editon.   

This is the one I received. Same title, different cover.
http://www.amazon.com/America-Film-Representing-Gender-Sexuality/dp/0631225838/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 12:37:21 pm »
Well I am upset!  >:(

I ordered it on Amazon.com (another seller) and the book I got is an older copy.  The seller didn't tell me that the book he's selling is an edition that predates Brokeback Mountain.  I don't know if I should leave negative feedback or not. 

The only reason I bought the book was because the one on Amazon.com had an image from BBM and the book cover I got has a collage of movie images predating BBM.  I've bought many books from Amazon.com's other book suppliers and have never had this occur. Be forewarned that you get the latest editon.   

This is the one I received. Same title, different cover.
http://www.amazon.com/America-Film-Representing-Gender-Sexuality/dp/0631225838/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

Oooo, I'm sorry to hear this Friend.  Yep, be sure to get the second edition with a copyright of 2009.  It looks like the first edition has a copyright of 1988.  Part of the blurb on the back of my copy says:

"This new edition is fully revised and updated.  It includes a new chapter on the representation of disability in American film, and a new collection of updated case studies, including discussions of Erin Brockovich, 8 Mile, Crash and Brokeback Mountain, among others." 

The copy I got is paperback and still cost $35 even at Amazon.