Author Topic: Parnassus  (Read 18412 times)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Parnassus
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 03:51:05 pm »
Fiona

Whether or not the movie is released in the theatres, it WILL come out on DVD. So there is no question as to whether or not you will be able to see it.

I for one really liked Brothers Grimm. I love how so dif'rent Heath's performance was in the three films I've seen.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 09:35:14 pm »
Fiona

Whether or not the movie is released in the theatres, it WILL come out on DVD. So there is no question as to whether or not you will be able to see it.

I for one really liked Brothers Grimm. I love how so dif'rent Heath's performance was in the three films I've seen.

I have just realised, well duh !!!  of course I can always catch it on DVD. Note to self, engage brain prior to posting !

Now my dilemma is, it would be too terrible if Heath's last performance went straight to DVD.

I want his swan song to be amazing, incredible and every other superlative, people considerably more eloquent than I, can proclaim.

I don't want the last thing he ever filmed to be anything other than brilliant. I also want his part to be be massively better than the substitutes, Law, Farrell and Depp. ( no disrespect to any of the afore mentioned, fine body of thespians)

I know I am being unreasonable, it's simply the Heathen in me.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 11:29:44 am »
I really wonder if Terry Gilliam based The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus on Miguel de Cervantes' poem Viaje del Parnaso, who in turn was inspired by Cesare Carporali's poem of the same name, Viaggio in Parnaso (Although both poems have the same name, they're completely different and Cervantes gives credit to Carporali). I read Gilliam's film deals with an imaginary travel, and so do both Cervantes and Carporali's poems. But the poems are also about poetry, about what is good poetry and what isn't. So, I really wonder what Gilliam did to turn it into a movie. That'll be interesting to see.

Quite possibly, since Gilliam was so familiar with Cervantes from his attempts to make a film (never finished) on Don Quixote. I was very happy with Imaginarium, and pleased with the way the substitute actors were cleverly worked into the plot. Heath always seemed to act as if his performance was the final one of his career, and the movie resonated even more poignantly for me because of that.
"chewing gum and duct tape"