Author Topic: BBM Ripoff, Mockery, or Nod??  (Read 7340 times)

injest

BBM Ripoff, Mockery, or Nod??
« on: March 10, 2009, 12:59:59 am »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie4DNsm4A2I&feature=related[/youtube]

???

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: BBM Ripoff, Mockery, or Nod??
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 01:04:00 am »
I can't watch the video Jess, so I have no idea what is going on. So I voted "What? I don't get it?"

It will be interesting to see what others have to say about it.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 01:05:43 am »
it is two cowboys sitting at a bar...talking about the weather..the one is dressed a lot like Jack and looks a LITTLE like him..talks about 'losing half the herd" then they ask for sprinkles for their pancakes...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 01:17:12 am »
it is two cowboys sitting at a bar...talking about the weather..the one is dressed a lot like Jack and looks a LITTLE like him..talks about 'losing half the herd" then they ask for sprinkles for their pancakes...

Oh I've seen that commercial! I don't think it has anything to do with Brokeback Mountain, does it? I never made that connection. I just figured it was two very butch, rough and tough cowboys asking for something cute and non masculine for breakfast.

I'll have to watch it again with this poll as a reference and form my opinion again. Now that I think about it, the commercial does resemble Jack and Ennis's bar scene at the beginning of the movie, but I don't think the producers of the commercial intended it to reflect Brokeback Mountain... do you?

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 01:26:32 am »
I voted "Mockery."  I see it as not only directly and indisputably mocking "Brokeback Mountain" but also being overtly homophobic. I didn't like it.  For what it's worth, little ole girly me would prefer the butch breakfast, thank you very much.  Having said all that, however, I can see that someone who actually has a sense of humour (unlike me at the moment) might actually find it amusing.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 01:43:01 am »
I voted "Mockery."  I see it as not only directly and indisputably mocking "Brokeback Mountain" but also being overtly homophobic. I didn't like it.  For what it's worth, little ole girly me would prefer the butch breakfast, thank you very much.  Having said all that, however, I can see that someone who actually has a sense of humour (unlike me at the moment) might actually find it amusing.

I think you're supposed to want the simple "butch" breakfast in this commercial.  I don't think it's BBM-related, and I didn't see any homophobia.

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 04:48:03 am »
My first impression was Brokeback Mountain, but then
again my brain is wired to Brokeback so I dont really
know.

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 05:42:44 am »
We dont get that add here, cause we dont have Denny's. But I just watched the video clip, and it didn't give me any take on BBM. It was just an add for the big breakfast.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 07:26:30 am »
I voted mockery.  I think the two cowboys, the similarity to Jack, and reference to 'losing half the herd' are pretty blatant BBM references.  Like Steve, tho, I am wired to BBM, so I could be wrong, but I doubt it.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 12:18:37 pm »
I voted mockery.  I think the two cowboys, the similarity to Jack, and reference to 'losing half the herd' are pretty blatant BBM references.  Like Steve, tho, I am wired to BBM, so I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

I've wondered about this ad too.  The play it all the time here in the Pittsburgh market. Like all of you, I'm wired to think BBM in reference to many things too... so I don't know how objective I'm being. 

But,as folks have said... now that it's been brought up...  it does remind me a little of the bar scene and Jack referencing the lightning strike during his first summer on Brokeback.  The thing that's odd about the ad - if it's meant to be a BBM spoof - is that they chose two much older guys.  Maybe they wanted to reference BBM a little but not too much. 

If it is a BBM reference it does bother me.  But, a lot of spoofs of BBM and of the poster too, really get under my skin.  There are exceptions to that for me (for instance I thought the BBM legos were really cute).  But, I can see the argument about there being a homophobic undercurrent in this ad if it is a Brokeback reference.   :-\

In a way, I'm not willing to give the ad makers the benefit of a doubt.  So, I'm voting mockery.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie