Author Topic: He Was A Friend of Mine..  (Read 11561 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: He Was A Friend of Mine..
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2006, 12:04:30 pm »
It's on the CD. The CD is great! So many woinderful songs! I'd encourage you to get it!

;)

Speaking of the soundtrack CD, I was initially disappointed that it didn't include the actual Roger Miller "King of the Road," which is what Jack is listening to on the pickup radio as he drives to Ennis's after the divorce (and looking so happy!), but I have to admit I've come to like the Teddy Thompson/Rufus Wainwright version.

Not better than Roger Miller's original, but I like it.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2006, 12:23:36 pm »
Speaking of the soundtrack CD, I was initially disappointed that it didn't include the actual Roger Miller "King of the Road," which is what Jack is listening to on the pickup radio as he drives to Ennis's after the divorce (and looking so happy!), but I have to admit I've come to like the Teddy Thompson/Rufus Wainwright version.

Not better than Roger Miller's original, but I like it.  :)

Ditto ... I couldn't agree with you more! But the CD version is good ... once you get used to it!  ;)
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline Kajunite

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2006, 12:33:43 pm »
King of the road is not by Roger Miller on ST?  Interesting.  Copyright laws are such that (I believe I am right) 25 years after the original writer of a song dies, the song becomes Public Domain and anyone can record it.  I did not realize that Roger had been dead that long, but this must be what happened.  Ernie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2006, 12:48:43 pm »
King of the road is not by Roger Miller on ST?  Interesting.  Copyright laws are such that (I believe I am right) 25 years after the original writer of a song dies, the song becomes Public Domain and anyone can record it.  I did not realize that Roger had been dead that long, but this must be what happened.  Ernie...

Reading back over my last post, it occurs to me that I want to make sure I'm clear. It is Roger Miller that we hear on Jack's pickup truck radio in the movie. On the soundtrack CD, however, "King of the Road" is a cover (is that the term?) by Teddy Thompson and Rufus Wainwright.

The Thompson/Wainwright version kinda grew on me after I listened to it a couple of times. It has a nice, "bluesy" kind of "feel" to it.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kajunite

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2006, 01:36:40 pm »
My surprise at Roger not being on the ST was because he was on the radio that day.  A point I have to keep reminding myself is the time differential.  In the movie when it was taking place, they would have been amiss having the wrong person singing the song as it would not have been on the radio at that time by anyone but Roger.

The soundtrack was compiled in recent times and having the original version on the track probably was fraught with legal hazzards as Roger is dead many years now.  They felt they should include it on the ST and they felt that this was the simplest way to do it.  What do you think?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2006, 05:56:10 pm »
My surprise at Roger not being on the ST was because he was on the radio that day.  A point I have to keep reminding myself is the time differential.  In the movie when it was taking place, they would have been amiss having the wrong person singing the song as it would not have been on the radio at that time by anyone but Roger.

The soundtrack was compiled in recent times and having the original version on the track probably was fraught with legal hazzards as Roger is dead many years now.  They felt they should include it on the ST and they felt that this was the simplest way to do it.  What do you think?

I would suspect the "legal niceties" have something to do with it, but not being a lawyer, I have no clue.

On the one hand, I would think that if they could use the Roger Miller original in the film, they could include it on the soundtrack CD. On the other hand, perhaps it has something to do with the fact that we only hear a portion of the Miller original in the film, whereas of course they would want to include the entire song on the CD--which they do in the form of the Thompson/Wainwright cover.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2006, 07:43:59 pm »
I would suspect the "legal niceties" have something to do with it, but not being a lawyer, I have no clue.

On the one hand, I would think that if they could use the Roger Miller original in the film, they could include it on the soundtrack CD. On the other hand, perhaps it has something to do with the fact that we only hear a portion of the Miller original in the film, whereas of course they would want to include the entire song on the CD--which they do in the form of the Thompson/Wainwright cover.

I thought so, too. I have a link that I am going to check out ... It was for the Academy voters and it has all of the songs ... original ... Will let you know if it is worth burning.
Diane

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2006, 12:47:53 am »
dly64...the lyrics to the songs you mentioned are on the BBM "soundtrack"  I used ".." because it is not actually a soundtrack in traditional form, but includes full versions of all the songs in the movie. For example, in the movie we head about 8 secs of "The Devil's Right Hand", only a bar or two of "King of the Road", and just a brief intro to "No One's Gonna Love You Like Me", and the same with my personal favorite, "I Don't Want To Say Goodbye".  "He died on the road" is the correct line, a possible reference to Jack's constant driving between Texas and Wyoming. The soundtrack also features additional verses to "He Was A Friend Of Mine" and "The Maker
Makes" (if only we could understand Rufus Wainwright).  If anyone can provide the words to "The Maker Makes" I would surely appreciate it....

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2006, 09:29:01 am »
dly64...the lyrics to the songs you mentioned are on the BBM "soundtrack"  I used ".." because it is not actually a soundtrack in traditional form, but includes full versions of all the songs in the movie. For example, in the movie we head about 8 secs of "The Devil's Right Hand", only a bar or two of "King of the Road", and just a brief intro to "No One's Gonna Love You Like Me", and the same with my personal favorite, "I Don't Want To Say Goodbye".  "He died on the road" is the correct line, a possible reference to Jack's constant driving between Texas and Wyoming. The soundtrack also features additional verses to "He Was A Friend Of Mine" and "The Maker
Makes" (if only we could understand Rufus Wainwright).  If anyone can provide the words to "The Maker Makes" I would surely appreciate it....

Here they are ...

Maker Makes
Rufus Wainwright

One more chain I break
To get me closer to you
One more chain does the maker make
To keep me from bustin' through

One more notch I scratch
To keep me thinkin' of you
One more notch does the maker make
Upon my face so blue

Get along, little doggies
Get along, little doggies

One more smile I fake
And try my best to be glad
One more smile does the maker make
Because he knows I'm sad

Oh Lord, how I know
Oh Lord, how I see
That only can the maker make
A happy man of me

Get along little doggies
Get along little doggies
Get along

I am guessing you have the CD? It is great!
Diane

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2006, 03:16:08 pm »
Have the CD, just can't understand Rufus.  Thanks.