Author Topic: The Coffee Poll  (Read 23195 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: The Coffee Poll
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2009, 10:55:35 pm »
Thanks Marie, that article is very interesting....but inaccurate, saying its the only place in the world where you can get it.

Coffee flavoured milk has been around since I was a kid in the sixties. As a kid I did not drink it, preferring the sweeter chocolate or strawberry, but as Ive got older, I do prefer it, if I want a flavoured milk.

I am still amazed that it is not a big market product in America.

It was around when I was a kid in the 50s too, Sue. Strawberry milk was my favourite and I would always order a lime milkshake when I went to the milk bar with my little friends. This was long before anyone had ever heard of lactose intolerance. It was just thought that I had a sensitive stomach back then. Fortunately for me, I can now get lactose-free milk and yogurt. Alas, lactose-free flavoured milk is not available.   :'(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2009, 08:48:27 am »
But the coffee milk I haven't seen either and all the talk about it made me curious b/c, being a coffee lover, it sounds really good!  I did a google search and found out that coffee milk is "The Official State Drink of Rhode Island."  It's made by adding a coffee syrup to cold milk.  Here's the link to the "Rhode Island Coffee Milk - Coffee Cabinet" site (Coffee Cabinet is what they call a coffee milkshake):

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beverage/CoffeeMilk.htm

Learn something new every day. I am reliably informed by my office mate here at work, who lived and went to college in Rhode Island, that she drank coffee milk there all the time. Still, I'm guessing it must be a very localized thing. Rhode Island is pretty small--you can drive through it in 45 minutes.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2009, 10:36:22 am »
A morning without coffee is like a day without sunshine.  :)

Exactly!!  :laugh: :laugh:
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2009, 12:38:45 pm »
I voted sugar and cream, even though usually I use milk. Most people in Germany use condensed milk, but I like the regular milk better. Full fat of course. We have fat-reduced milk here, but I don't like it.
But the stuff they sometimes sell for "milk" in the US (skim) is worse! It's white colored water, I bet there is not one gram fat in it. And it tastes like it.

Flavoured milk is not common in Germany. We have different instant powders to flavour milk: cocoa, strawberry, vanilla, banana, etc. But there are convenience products where the powder is already in the milk and it's ready to drink. Those are usually sold in small battles, one portion sized.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2009, 01:12:42 pm »
I voted sugar and cream, even though usually I use milk. Most people in Germany use condensed milk, but I like the regular milk better. Full fat of course. We have fat-reduced milk here, but I don't like it.
But the stuff they sometimes sell for "milk" in the US (skim) is worse! It's white colored water, I bet there is not one gram fat in it. And it tastes like it.

My grandpa used to drink condensed milk in his coffee.  :D  Early in his life he was the electrician on an oil tanker, and that was what was available on the ship, or so he said, so that's how he got into the habit.

I agree with you completely about skim milk: white-colored water. ...  :P
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2009, 02:38:05 pm »
Skim milk is HORRIBLE!! I don't know how people manage to drink it. :P

But I never did like butter milk either - the polar opposite of skim milk in my opinion.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2009, 03:01:51 pm »
Skim milk is HORRIBLE!! I don't know how people manage to drink it. :P

I could barely tolerate it on cereal, and then only with a lot of sugar!

But I never did like butter milk either - the polar opposite of skim milk in my opinion.

The first--and only--time I ever tasted buttermilk I was s-o-o-o disappointed. I was expecting it would taste like butter!  :laugh:

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2009, 03:38:19 pm »

My Grandma used to love buttermilk.  So, I remember trying it as a kid.  I don't recall loving it.  But, I also don't really remember what it tasted like.  It sure is good as an ingredient in things like pancakes and biscuits!
 :D

McMurtry also brings up the topic of buttermilk from time to time in Lonesome Dove.  So, in the game of 6-degrees of BBM... buttermilk is somewhat tangentially related to our BBM.
:)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2009, 04:10:42 pm »
Maybe it's because I'm on a perpetual diet, but I've come to enjoy skim milk.  It's refreshingly "clean" tasting, especially if you're having a cold glass of it with a fattening cookie.  ;)

Buttermilk I adore, though I rarely think to buy it.  It goes great with a summertime meal like grilled hamburgers and corn on the cob.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2009, 05:05:15 pm »
The trouble with most brewed coffee, as Marianne Sagebrecht from Bagdad CafĂ© would say, is "too much water" (right, Chrissi?!  :)).  I like it strong and concentrated, a little bitter, and never with sugar. 

In the morning, I like to make my own latte:  freshly ground dark roast beans, strong espresso, and hot, steamed milk.  I drink it while I'm shaving.  I prefer 2% milk or whole.  Half-and-half leaves an oil slick, and skim is just nasty. 

My beloved espresso maker just went kaput, after serving me well for fifteen years, so it's on to a new one--technology has improved!