Author Topic: And this is who runs our country...  (Read 17321 times)

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: And this is who runs our country...
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2006, 05:59:24 pm »
Ahhhh Chris - the sheer romantic poetry of Matt & Trey!!  That is one of the most memorable movie speeches ever, and remains a favorite of mine, but it's so hard to work those quotes into conversation.

So true, sometimes it's a hard.  Unless you've seen the film, "I.N.T.E.L.L.I.G.E.N.C.E. is down!  I repeat, we have no I.N.T.E.L.L.I.G.E.N.C.E." wouldn't make a lot of sense.  But maybe if we had a montage... (resists urge to sing)...

I trust you own a copy of the movie?  It may not be intentionally a documentary, but it speaks volumes of truth about politics, American and otherwise.

Oh my lordy yes, C (for Celeste)!

MATT DAMON!
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2006, 09:48:30 pm »
True.  But the difference is we present ourselves as being a shining example of being better than all that when in fact we are not.

I think this is past tense.  We USED to present ourselves as being a shining example of being better than all that when we are not and honestly, never were.

Our international policies and actions have always been a little questionable.  Yes, the U.S. has helped people all over the world, but we also - covertly and not - interfered with elections abroad, pushed in U.S. friendly political leaders that people of those countries did not want, sent in arms and 'advisors' to conflict areas when the people of the U.S. did not approve nor our representatives give our administration leave to do so - etc., ad nauseum.

Domestically, it hasn't been much better.  There were never any 'good old days' of a Golden Age in the U.S., we never have been truly free and accepting as our press releases say.  We are - compared to the majority of the rest of the world - but we're not saints and have streets of gold and people who thought we were and did were sadly naive.

We as a people WANT to be and we should try to continue to strive for the ideals of our Founding Fathers and later leaders, but when we STILL have racial/sexual/gender/religious biases in this country, we're not likely to reach that lofty pinnacle anytime soon.

But what gets me are the all the countries out there pointing the finger at us.  I want to say back to some of these countires "Hey pot, I'm kettle."
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 10:15:24 pm by delalluvia »

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2006, 12:14:40 am »
By the way, did you hear about the slip up at the G8 today? President Bush thought the microphone was turned off and he said a BAAAAAAAAAAAD word!

On a side note regarding the G8 conference - Bush not only had the issue above but had the rather brillant idea that it was appropriate behavior to start rubbing the shoulders of the Chancellor of Germany.  This man simply does not think before he acts.  The Chancellor was obviously offended by this move - as well she should have been.

Please.  At the very core of the problems in this country sits the news media.  They, and they alone, have the power to change things.  And they choose not to.  They choose not to because that would adversely affect their bottom line - a bottom line that is controlled entirely by big pharmaceuticals, the oil companies, and all other all-powerful corporations in this country, which also, by the way, control our federal government.

Regarding the media - my best friend recently watched a film called "Weapons of Mass Deception" which discusses how the media has failed to cover the Iraq war.  It is not supposed to be a political dissertation on the subject, it simply tries to focus on how the media has reported items regarding Iraq.  I have not seen the movie as of yet, but it is on my list!!  My friend tells me she learned more about the Iraq war in two hours than she has in the YEARS and YEARS of news reporting.  It sounds very interesting.

I think it's outrageous how the media reports the news in this country.  It is more than apparent to me that I get a more realistic view of the war in Iraq by visiting websites of international news sources, or watching BBC, or heck, even Jon Stewart reports better news than FOX news does!  As Stewart jokes "it isn't news unless the White House has issued a press release."  We hear practically nothing about casualties in Iraq, practically nothing about how our friendly fire injuries others, and practically nothing on the innocent civilians we are killing.  Mass media has worked hard (and unforunately has been successful) at dumbing down the American news viewing population.  Many have grown to assume that the AP, ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, FOX, MSNBC etc. etc. etc. are reporting everything that we need to know.  It will take a massive upheaval to change anything - and I just don't see it happening any time soon.

At this point I feel confidant saying that our country as it stands right now is a massive disappointment.  We are acting in completely inconsistent ways, we have a leader who seriously thinks it is correct to ask "Is our children learning?", we have policies that openly discriminate against others and the list gets worse and worse. 

Don't get me wrong, I like living in America.  It's a challenge unlike anything else I've faced.  The important thing to remember is that it is part of being an American to challenge politics, be grassroots and dive in with the goats to avoid the sheep (not that I have anything against the woolies!) to avoid promoting the status quo.  I only hope that there are winds of change blowing, but I tell you what ... if Jeb Bush decides to run for President - I may consider moving to Alberta *lol*

REMEMBER TO VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 02:20:29 am by Amber »
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

vkm91941

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2006, 01:51:39 am »

a couple of bozo's

mvansand76

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2006, 05:15:05 am »
Melissa,  when do you all go back to the polls to vote? We have to wait another 2 1/2 years until we get rid of our idiot leader.  :(

November 22nd. That's because of the fall of the government last month.

Offline dannyboy

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2006, 06:50:36 am »

thanks barb

the george bush thing was a classic!  8)

Giancarlo

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2006, 07:36:15 am »
Well what this country needs is bigger change. I'm a libertarian so naturally I'm at odds with both parties. I view both the democrats and republicans are horribly corrupt and incredibly foolish. There needs to be some newer faces. Of course when I voice these views especially at my campus I get into a lot of trouble. I got into a pretty heated discussion in one class I was with in... with both democrats and republicans in the room. I constantly blasted the democrat's inability to set any alternative planning and the republicans with their scandals... believe me, I criticized them quite equally. I'm really disgusted with both parties. In California, the democrats have been awful. That's why I actually did volunteer for Arnold Schwarzenegger's re-election campaign. Don't get mad at me even if he is a republican... the guy did sign in an equal insurance law for gays and lesbians a few years back (more then Gray Davis ever did). I'm not pleased with his decision to veto that one bill, but overall, I am pleased with him as a governor... and the most important thing is he is not a career politican.

As far as Hurricane Katrina is concerned, there was complacency on every level of government. The state of Louisania happens to be one of the most corrupt in the entire country. But beyond that... I really must getting to bed before my cyncism pisses anyone off. I really don't have confidence in the right or left. I think people have to start thinking and come back to the center.

Libertarianism is a mixture of policies. Specifically open market minimal government policies, and open social policy (including pro-gay marriage). That puts me at odds with both parties.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 07:37:52 am by Giancarlo »

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2006, 02:28:24 am »
Actually, I would agree with you on Schwarzenegger.  I think for all of the hassling he's had to deal with, he's actually done a decent job.  I'm not from California and I'm not even a Republican.  I'm just impressed that he's cut across the "political lines" refused to put up with (some) of the status quo and has had the courage to make decisions based on what is best for the people, not for the party.

Kudos to him for that!
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2006, 09:40:26 am »
Libertarianism is a mixture of policies. Specifically open market minimal government policies, and open social policy (including pro-gay marriage). That puts me at odds with both parties.

Hey there Giancarlo.  Can you help me out with this libertarian biz?  Actually when I started reading your post I misread it as librarian and I thought, hey, so librarians are political over there.  But why not, librarians are well read after all!  Anyway, I understand what you've said here but I don't understand the practical application.  Is it a form of idealism where it is assumed that everyone is nice to each other, and no one takes advantage of anyone else?

I'm not trying to be a smart-arse here, I'm actually very interested.  Growing up as a child I was enamoured by American culture and Americans in general.  I may be an insufferable romantic, but I like being romantic.  One of the greatest shocks of my life was when I travelled to the U.S. in 1993 and did the whole west cost thing, and while standing in a line at Disneyland a young man overhearing my accent asked me why I would want to come "here", and in his tone it was clear he meant "loser country".

I'm not here to lend any support to that kind of sentiment.  I don't agree with it, and as far as I'm concerned it worse than defeatist, it's accepting and fatalist.  I'd like to hear how America is changing.  I know it is, I can see it, but more importantly I can feel it.  I love that questions are being asked, and that the U.S. is growing up, finally.  Sorry if that is a patronising thing to say, don't worry, we're not so far removed from you in Australia that I could take the high-moral ground or anything.

The thing that I hate more than anything is not that our leaders tell us lies, but that we let them.
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2006, 11:02:00 am »
One of the greatest shocks of my life was when I travelled to the U.S. in 1993 and did the whole west cost thing, and while standing in a line at Disneyland a young man overhearing my accent asked me why I would want to come "here", and in his tone it was clear he meant "loser country".

Hiya Aussie,

You know, I say that to foreign tourists when I meet them here in the U.S.

I guess I ask because aside from a few touristy things and a whole lot of gorgeous open country and parks, there isn't a whole lot to see here in the U.S.  We'd wonder why anyone from Europe/Asia etc., places with thousands of years of history, places to go, things to see would want to come to the U.S. where aside from a few ancient native sites almost everything human-made is less than 300 years old.  A friend of mine is Zimbabwean (sp?), who moved to and studied law in South Africa and now lives in London longs to come to the U.S. and the southwest.  I also questioned him on why and he replied to see the 'great openness of the country'.  And this guy was born and raised in Africa.  [shrugs]  Grass is always greener I suppose.