Author Topic: The story - translations...  (Read 9294 times)

Offline stevenedel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • BBM - The Steven edition
The story - translations...
« on: July 17, 2006, 03:06:08 pm »
Just wondering what experiences other Brokies from non-English speaking countries may have had with translations of the story...

I just finished reading the Dutch translation, and thought it was thoroughly awful  >:( . It dates from way before the film, but after the movie they turned it into the cutest little hardcover book, containing just that one story. I couldn't resist, and thought it might also clarify the last handful of words I was too lazy to look up. So now I know that "wild colombine" is what we call akelei. It wasn't worth it, because in all essentials the translation just ruined the story. Even the title: "Twee cowboys" (i.e., "Two cowboys") - geeezzzz. Nearly every memorable phrase is mutilated in some way. "I wish I knew how to quit you" becomes "Ik wou dat ik wist hoe ik van je af kon komen", which is, literally: "I wish I knew how to get rid of you". "Let be, let be" becomes "Hou op, hou op", which is "stop it, stop it". When John Twist calls Jack's plan "half-baked", the translator for some mysterious reason chooses to avoid the perfectly synonymous Dutch "halfbakken", opting instead for "achterlijk", which means "retarded". The phrase describing Lureen's voice as polite but cold is rearranged so that its entire meaning changes: in the original, there's no doubt that she is polite; in the translation, there's no doubt her voice is cold as snow. Et cetera. et cetera.

It is a pretty depressing thought that fellow Dutchmen who can't read English have to make do with this. I am convinced that a better translator could have achieved far better results, and at the same time I wonder to what extent Proulx is untranslatable. Are translations into other languages any good?
If god had wanted people to be oppressed, he would have created bigger elephants. - Loesje

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The story - translations...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 04:35:09 pm »
Uuuh, sorry to hear that the Dutch version is apparently fit to ruin the whole story.

I still haven't read the German translation of the story. I plan to, because I'm curious about how good or bad the translation is. Especially how they managed to translate some of my favourite lines.
But the book is still lent out and I will have to wait some more weeks to read it. I'll report when I will have read it.

I don't know about the story translations, but the dubbing respective the subtitles in other languages in the movie were often bad, too. I saw the German dubbed version and there were some mistakes in it.
I'm really curious whether the strory translations were made better or not. Good idea for a thread.

Offline Kajunite

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 06:40:14 pm »
My Word!  How frustrating that must be for you two!  I have not gotten the short story in yet but I have a copy of the movie and the English subtitles can be played (along with the sound) and it would be better.  Our subtitles (primarily for the deaf) are the exact same thing as on the movie itself.  You both seem to be better with the English language than I am.  Would getting your addresses and sending you each a gift of a copy of the movie from Walmart be in order?  I would.  That way you can play it in English and read the subtitles in English. Would that help?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 07:14:15 pm »
Hi Steven -

Check your email for a notification. I am sending you a personal message my friend.  :D

David.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

mvansand76

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 05:06:53 am »
Hi Stevenedel,

The first time I read the short story in September 2005 it was in Dutch and I really regret that I didn't wait a few days longer for my English version to arrive, the Dutch made the the text corny, only when I read it again in English I started to appreciate the story. Dutch sometimes is an awful language and translating IS an art. There, I said it...

;D

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 08:57:34 am »
Oh geez! I can understand your frustration! I'm actually quite lazy or I chicken out, because I avoid translations at ALL COSTS!! I think I will never even consider reading the shortstory other than in English and I've seen BBM 8 times in the theatres - ALWAYS in English and half of it with either French or French and Dutch subtitles. Since getting my DVD I have watched the first part once (up to the 2nd tent scene) and some scenes up to there repeatedly, but never the entire movie... HUNH?! It's been at least 2 months or so that I haven't seen it.. Yes.. weird. Now I don't even have my DVD, because I gave it to a colleague.

AAANYWAY! When I watched my DVD I watched it with English subtitles or none at all! In the theatre I remember trying to catch the French subtitles and some were okay, others not, but I don't remember being really shocked. But I'd have to watch it again, really.

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline stevenedel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 09:32:40 am »
Hi Stevenedel,

The first time I read the short story in September 2005 it was in Dutch and I really regret that I didn't wait a few days longer for my English version to arrive, the Dutch made the the text corny, only when I read it again in English I started to appreciate the story. Dutch sometimes is an awful language and translating IS an art. There, I said it...

;D

Quite right Mel! I didn't only find it corny, but at times unnecessarily crude.  The famous "unsatisfactory bitch of a situation"  got translated with a phrase containing not just one, but TWO uncalled-for four-letter words. (onder ons gezegd en gezwegen: "kloterige kutsituatie" - waar halen ze het vandaan??). And while I"m not quite sure what it means exactly when you're 'putting the blocks to someone', I'm pretty sure it doesn't translate with "f**k'.

Now, that it's a challenge to come up with a worthy non-English equivalent for 'stemming the rose', THAT I can understand... (yet even there the Dutch translator clearly did not exert herself a single bit to think up an alternative that at least retains some of the strange poetry of the original).
If god had wanted people to be oppressed, he would have created bigger elephants. - Loesje

Offline stevenedel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 09:39:16 am »
AAANYWAY! When I watched my DVD I watched it with English subtitles or none at all! In the theatre I remember trying to catch the French subtitles and some were okay, others not, but I don't remember being really shocked. But I'd have to watch it again, really.

I've never seen it with Dutch subtitles, and not wanting to is one of my reasons not to see BBM in the cinema. My DVD only has English subtitling, but now that I know all the words by heart I of course leave those switched off.

It's interesting, too, what they do with the title. Isn't it "The secret of the Mountain" in French? I find that a bit tacky, though not nearly as bad as "Two cowboys"...

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 10:09:18 am »
I just finished reading the Dutch translation, and thought it was thoroughly awful  >:( . It dates from way before the film, but after the movie they turned it into the cutest little hardcover book, containing just that one story. I couldn't resist, and thought it might also clarify the last handful of words I was too lazy to look up. So now I know that "wild colombine" is what we call akelei. It wasn't worth it, because in all essentials the translation just ruined the story. Even the title: "Twee cowboys" (i.e., "Two cowboys") - geeezzzz. Nearly every memorable phrase is mutilated in some way. "I wish I knew how to quit you" becomes "Ik wou dat ik wist hoe ik van je af kon komen", which is, literally: "I wish I knew how to get rid of you". "Let be, let be" becomes "Hou op, hou op", which is "stop it, stop it". When John Twist calls Jack's plan "half-baked", the translator for some mysterious reason chooses to avoid the perfectly synonymous Dutch "halfbakken", opting instead for "achterlijk", which means "retarded". The phrase describing Lureen's voice as polite but cold is rearranged so that its entire meaning changes: in the original, there's no doubt that she is polite; in the translation, there's no doubt her voice is cold as snow. Et cetera. et cetera.

It is a pretty depressing thought that fellow Dutchmen who can't read English have to make do with this. I am convinced that a better translator could have achieved far better results, and at the same time I wonder to what extent Proulx is untranslatable. Are translations into other languages any good?

hi steven,
I guess I couldn't agree more with you. I first read the story in english, but I also bought the dutch translation. I couldn't read it through. It does Annie's poetic english absolutely no justice at all. Translating 'friend' (such a special endearing term in this story) into 'ouwe gabber' (=bloke, pal)?? Aawww, awful, terrible. (okay, I'm flemish and over here we'd never say ouwe gabber  :))

But I think you're right about Annie's books (I read Postcards too) maybe being untranslatable.
I saw the movie with dutch and french subtitles but i don't pay much attention to them anyway, and having read the story, i didn't need to either.

Just imagine having to watch the movie, dubbed in another language..

btw i looooove your avatar!!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

mvansand76

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 11:18:16 am »
Quite right Mel! I didn't only find it corny, but at times unnecessarily crude.  The famous "unsatisfactory bitch of a situation"  got translated with a phrase containing not just one, but TWO uncalled-for four-letter words. (onder ons gezegd en gezwegen: "kloterige kutsituatie" - waar halen ze het vandaan??). And while I"m not quite sure what it means exactly when you're 'putting the blocks to someone', I'm pretty sure it doesn't translate with "f**k'.

Now, that it's a challenge to come up with a worthy non-English equivalent for 'stemming the rose', THAT I can understand... (yet even there the Dutch translator clearly did not exert herself a single bit to think up an alternative that at least retains some of the strange poetry of the original).

I think the translator wanted to translate the roughness of Annie's prose into Dutch and achieved the opposite: she made it ridiculous, maybe we should regard BBM (Twee cowboys? Aaaaargh!) as forbidden territory for translators.

I don't own the book in Dutch and I never watch the subtitles, even when I saw it in Dutch theaters. But then again, I know the dialogue by heart, so I don't really need any subtitles.

By the way, has any of you ever heard the descriptive audio reel, it's HILARIOUS!

<BRITISH ACCENT> "Jack walks toward Ennis, pauses and turns around..."

:laugh: