Author Topic: COLLECTOR'S EDITION DVD Release  (Read 56466 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Jan 23rd: 2-Disc Collectors Edition DVD!!
« Reply #180 on: January 27, 2007, 02:20:17 am »
There's a commentary made by Ang Lee and James Shamus on the Sense and Sensibility DVD. They are always going on about 'the sheep'. Apparently they had a lot of trouble shooting the 'sheep' scenes' in that movie (luckily there weren't many), which made Ang Lee decide never to do a film with sheep again!  :laugh:  :laugh:
Thank God, he changed his mind about that.

The commentary on the dvd is nice, he does talk about how they did certain scenes and why.

I had this theory that $$$ might have been a factor contributing to director's commentary for Sense and Sensibility vs no director's commentary for Brokeback Mountain, but I don't think it pans out:

According to IMDb the budgets were Sense and Sensibility was 16.5M vs BBM 14M.  Is 2.5M sufficient in movieland to account for the lapse?
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline RebelWithASmile

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love was the word that left my lips
« Reply #181 on: January 27, 2007, 11:46:29 am »
I'm saddened, they could have put at least one deleted scene.

They know we want it.
"He was very afraid of being hurt. He was afraid of opening up in case it was turned around and used against him."

Heaven holds a sense of wonder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0VVoScBd4k

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #182 on: January 28, 2007, 03:31:18 pm »
I'm very disappointed in the bonus material on the discs.  I still feel like this film deserves better.
I agree, i can't believe the shoddy treatment this movie has gotten for its DVD releases. C-grade direct-to-DVD actioners get better treatment with one or more commentaries.    I think Randy Quaid's lawsuit was a clue that all was not right with this project.  I'd love to know the story behind it all.

Now all I can hope is for BbM to get the Criterion treatment.  Now that would be sweet!

Offline Karan13

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Fun loving open minded the future Mrs Depp or Gyll
Re: The Collector's Edition PRICE!
« Reply #183 on: January 29, 2007, 05:44:39 am »
I will definately buy it , mainly for Ang lee`s commentry , i agree though deleted scenes are what everyone wants , and a joint commentry with Jake and Heath would of been great , i love watching a movie , then watching again with the commentry , it gives the film a whole new look , understanding , about how certain shots were acheived , weather conditions etc , it gives you something new to look for.  I would like the HD version as i have just got a HD TV and DVD , and even my old DVD`s are playing great on it so i think , i will notice the difference.
I think it`s down to how much you adore the movie , i would pay extra just for a little bit more , i have notice blue ray and HDDVD now in the UK but not on many titles , they are selling in the shops for £24.99 , i would pay that for BBM. xx
It`s not the breaths you take , it`s what makes you lose one !

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: THE COLLECTORS EDITION!!!
« Reply #184 on: January 29, 2007, 01:38:13 pm »
Lynne, thanks for posting the full text of that review. While I think the author is sometimes off the mark--sometimes way off, as in, "Annie Proulx should be forced to write a sequel," which I think, at this point, would be most unwise of her--it was an interesting commentary and a useful read.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #185 on: January 29, 2007, 02:32:08 pm »
While I think the author is sometimes off the mark--sometimes way off, as in, "Annie Proulx should be forced to write a sequel," which I think, at this point, would be most unwise of her

I think it'd be unwise of her to do it at any point. BBM is a perfectly formed thing in itself - what more is there to add that isn't already there?
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Scott6373

« Reply #186 on: January 29, 2007, 02:41:23 pm »
I have to admit.  I went to Borders this weekend looking for a book, and there it was.  I picked it up...nice heft...looked at the back...sweet quotes...put it back...I have postcards.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #187 on: January 29, 2007, 05:13:32 pm »
I stood with it in my hands at Borders yesterday for 15 minutes-to walk away from anything Brokeback goes against everything in my big Brokie heart. But walk away I did. I had nightmares about it though  ;D

O0

Heathen

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #188 on: January 29, 2007, 05:19:56 pm »
...I have postcards.

Now that's precious!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And ruby - nightmares? - ya got it bad! do you have full screen or wide screen? In about 6 months I expect I'll probly pick it up fer 10$ ta get the full screen - so's I can have both. But nightmares - I think not (want those postcards though!)
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #189 on: January 29, 2007, 06:04:12 pm »
I read on another board tha!t some of the scenes in the new edition are slighty differnent and longer.  Could that possibly be true?

I also finally just bought a dvd player so I could watch it on dvd, but the light on the picture fades in and out.

It happens on all dvd's I tried.  The saleman had no idea why.  Could it be that my tv is too oldd?

Could somes scenes really be slightly different?  Wouldn't that be wonderful if true!!