Author Topic: Tell ya what...we're doing a Brokie Brunch in NYC  (Read 88695 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Tell ya what...we're doing a Brokie Brunch in NYC
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2006, 04:16:20 am »
Bumpin cause I'm tryin to decide - should I go to Mexico, or just travel around the coffee pot lookin for the handle.

And John, how are you?

Offline wtbgirl

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2006, 12:22:26 pm »
UPDATE ON COWGIRL:

Bar-K (the back mini-restaurant) is booked for both April 29th and April 30th. >:( 
It is also booked up for the following weekend - both days.  If you guys would want to book the back mini-restaurant for a later date, here is the cost involved for a brunch.  It would be a payment of $25 person for the food and one free mimosa, plus a variable fee (depending on the number of people) for labor and gratuity - the party planner said that for 15 people or so, that fee  would be somewhere in the $200 vicinity.  SO, if 15 people attended, it would cost each person $25 plus approximately $40 more dollars = total per person would be hover around $65, PLUS you pay for your own additional drinks over the one free mimosa.

HOWEVER, Cowgirl ALSO takes reservations in the MAIN DINING ROOM for up to 15 people, and then all you have to pay for is cost of your own food and your own drinks.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2006, 12:42:41 pm »
Wow, that doesn't sound right.  $40 on top of the cost of food?  If that's the case it's probably too much for me.  Is there a plan b? 
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline wtbgirl

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2006, 12:52:51 pm »
In terms of NYC prices for reserving a private space, it's a really good price.  The pros are that the space itself (I have been there for a party) is great and condusive to a group of 12-15 people (the website says up to 40, but believe me, it is a mini-restaurant, and I would not put 40 people in there unless the majority of them were toddlers!)   It is really a side one room mini-restaurant with a side entrance and large windows (and a second entrance to the main restaurant).   The staff sets up a buffet style brunch and there is a bar located in the mini-space.  There are a bunch of tables and booths around the perimeter for people to sit and eat.

The cons are the cost of a private space - I wanted to alert everyone to cost.  Like I said, expect to spend around $65, and more if you want more than one drink.   

If we want to go to Cowgirl, Plan B would probably be just to reserve a table in the main room.  Then it's just like any restaurant - you pay for your food, your drinks and your portion of the tip.  The restaurant itself is not expensive, so you can easily eat and drink there for well under $65 a pop.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2006, 03:03:02 pm »
I get it, I overlooked the part about the private space.  Although if the fee was $200 and there were 15 people, wouldn't it be more like $13.50?  Not trying to be a nuisance, just that 40 for a space fee is a bit more than I expected to pay. 

Juan
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 03:04:55 pm by JCinNYC2006 »
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline wtbgirl

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2006, 03:18:02 pm »
Oops sorry about that - actually yes, I misread my calculator earlier (pre coffee - I couldn't see straight  ;D) and overstated the price by a bit. 

AT COWGIRL:   The minimum labor and gratuity fee, according to the planner, is $175, regardless of the actual body count.   So, for example, if we had 10 people confirmed that were coming to the braunch, that would be an extra $17.50 (175/10) over the $25 pre-fixe food bill, for a total of $42.50.   Whatever the exact end price, which depends on the number of people coming, the concept is that -

at Cowgirl, for the private space at Bar K, we have to each pay a pro-rated labor/tip fee, pay the $25 food/one drink price, and pay for our own drinks after the first free mimosa.

So, all the folks that were interested in doing need to decide what everyone wants to do.  We can (1) reserve this space - but if so, we have to pick a new date, (2) we can reserve a table in the main room for 4/29, or (3) pick another restaurant for 4/29.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2006, 10:56:51 pm »
Amy, thanks so much for doing that legwork for us!!  MWAH!  :-*

Right now, we have a count of 11, if Elle comes:   Amy, John, Deedee, Juan, Paul, David, Jeff, Clarissa, Jenny, me and my friend Sarah.  Maybe we can still coax HobokenJeff to come, too.

That is very doable at a large table in the main room, so my vote would be to reserve one there and thus avoid the extra costs.  If it turns out we have significantly more people, then we could explore other options.  I think the Rodeo Bar & Grill, for example,  is large enough to accommodate more people fairly easily.

I really don't want to change the date at this point, for fear of losing attendees.  It's worth it to stay at the Cowgirl, I think, because of the Western shop across the street, and also because it's in Greenwich Village, a very cool neighborhood for exploring afterwards.

What does everyone else think?
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline wtbgirl

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2006, 10:30:00 am »
I am up for either option.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 12:26:16 pm by amy7769 »

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2006, 11:12:39 am »
I'm in, whatever (cough, hack, stumbles in through the swinging bar doors)-- sawbones says I didn't die after all, guess I have to believe him.

Should we make a rez for an even dozen to allow for late additions?

(You're not gonna believe this, but it just started snowin' here in New York--well, it won't stick an hour--)

(cough, hack)
 :P

Thanks for the kind wishes, all!
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2006, 12:07:43 pm »
I am SOOO glad this is still happening! Yes, it is snowing here!!

Well, I see your point Meryl, about keeping the date. I we have more than 12 people, though, how can we get it to be easy enough to mingle? This is a big concern from Clarissa and I agree with her. I want to be able to talk to all of you, not just four or five within easy earshot.

So, I would be up for changing the date and reserving a room at Cowgirl. But I would do what the majority wants. I really want to know what Elle thinks of this....are you out there E?

PS hooray for the Connecticutian Brokies joining in the fray!
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."