Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain short story in Oct 13, 1997 "New Yorker" - Images  (Read 8339 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Brokeback Mountain short story in Oct 13, 1997 "New Yorker" - Images
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 12:50:03 pm »
The only thing I object to is the people on IMDB who posts messages like, "I can't find the story on the Internet. Please someone tell me where I can download it." A lot of young people think they're entitled to have anything that anybody has said, written, performed, or sang for free. As a writer myself, I have to call a timeout on that idea. Okay, I'll get down from my soapbox now. But Jenny, I have sent the New Yorker story in pdf form to fellow Brokies so I have no problems with your post. And of course it's available at libraries. I certainly would not want to discourage anyone from reading it!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 03:55:35 pm »
I guess you probably can find the Oct. 13, 1997 New Yorker on ebay if you want a copy of that, but that will not benefit Anne one penny. 

I haven't seen that issue listed for sale on eBay lately--I also, I admit, haven't searched for it lately--but just after the film opened, copies of it went for HUGE amounts of money--over $100, if I'm remembering correctly.

Just FYI. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 03:15:54 am »
 :)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 05:39:58 pm »
Wow, thanks, that made my heart jump to see those pages.

That also answers the question as to how she started the story in that version. I understand the "Ennis Del Mar wakes before 5" part was edited by the New Yorker, but was part of the story as she wrote it.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."