Author Topic: Where did you FIRST hear/read about Brokeback Mountain?  (Read 11485 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Where did you FIRST hear/read about Brokeback Mountain?
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 03:16:12 am »
Melissa -

A friend of mine mailed me (by snail mail) a copy of the New Yorker several weeks after the story appeared in it. I was living in Evansville at the time. I still have this copy stored somewhere in a box up in the attic. I found out about the movie on the Internet. Like you, I began to read about it on various websites and I went to see it the first week it was released at the theatre. I always brought a group of friends with me. I saw it numerous times at the theatre and I do believe I won a few "converts" along the way!  :D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 03:22:06 am by David925 »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 09:37:57 am »
Then I saw a preview for the movie back in - October? - and just went batshit over it and have been turned on ever since.

Heh heh heh.  A girl after my own heart.   :-*

No more beans!

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 11:29:55 am »
I remember seeing snipets on TV about it, probably in the November - December area.  My friends talked about it a bit too, asked me if I was going to see it.  Stupidly I said I was going to wait.  What was I thinking?  I get so angry at myself for letting the opportunity to see the movie on the big screen pass by me.  Hindsight is 20/20  :)
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 02:28:23 am »
In mid-October 2005 I followed the posting history of one of my favorite IMDb users to the IMDb message board of this movie with a weird-sounding name, "Brokeback Mountain."  I saw that it was hugely hopping, posts coming in every few seconds.  Wow!  So I started reading about it, then I downloaded the short story into my Palm, and read it over and over and over and over and over, all the time, at traffic lights, in the bathroom, falling asleep at night.  The rest you were there for.  :)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 03:35:43 am »
I was a New Yorker subscriber in 1997, but somehow missed the story. But in maybe 2002 or 2003 I was in a book club and one of the members, a close friend, made it that month's assignment. I read it in a weird little pocket-sized book that contained only that one story and nothing else.

I loved it, mostly in a detached, literary way. I thought the concept was ingenious, the plot sad, the prose beautiful. I probably read it twice. I said good things about it in the book-club discussion (as did everyone). And then I pretty much forgot about it.

A year or so later, I read something online about how they were making the movie, and that Jake and Heath had been cast. I thought, well, Jake Gyllenhaal will be good, but ... Heath Ledger? They must be pretty desperate. I guess they're not too serious about making a good movie.

Then I saw Heath in the Lords of Dogtown and realized he was actually a good actor. Then the movie came out, and I read all those stunning reviews ...

I knew I would like to see it, but still, I put it off. I figured, I'd already read the story, so what could there be left to learn? I assumed the movie would be well made, but it sounded like it might be a little ... I don't know, preachy or pedantic or something. I was busy with the holidays and kids and moving and whatnot, so with one thing or another, I didn't get around to seeing it until January.

I've been here (or at imdb) ever since.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 05:51:20 pm by latjoreme »

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2006, 03:57:46 am »
It was in late November or very early December 2005; I receive the New York Times in my Email box every day, and once a week they send a "movies' update". That week, Brokeback Mountain was THE big release of the week, in the "critic's pick" which meant they found it excellent.

I read the review, thought "this is not coming out in France any time soon I bet, and I can't wait" (that was just from reading the NYT's review!), so I ordered the short story, which the review also said was fantastic, from amazon.

The movie in fact did come out here on January 18th. There was no hype, but it was very popular. Now that it is out on dvd, the video rentals have the large size poster outside their doors, and underneath it says: "hurry to rent this film; most beautiful film of the year". Heatwarming :)
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2006, 05:37:42 am »
I first heard/read about BBM at end of February/early March 2006, a few weeks before the movie came out in Germany.
I read about it in a magazine and saw some reviews about it on TV. I thought it could be an interesting movie and then saw something about it in a cultural magazine on TV. It was a short documetary about the reactions towards BBM in the American West. The journalists had travelled cross Wyoming (and maybe some other states) and interwieved people in bars, at gas stations, supermarkets and so on. I was stunned about the vitriolic reactions of so many people. It was the controversy in the US about this movie which made me most curious.
And the fact that all reviews said that it was touching, but not corny at all (a rare combination) finally convinced me to see this movie in theatre.
I checked IMDB for it and found the same canon of reviews there, too. And the same controversy.

After seeing BBM for the first time, I ordered the story to screenplay book. So I read the story after seeing the movie.
And at the very next day after my first viewing I joined the BBM board at IMDB. The rest is history.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 12:24:16 pm »
first heard about it in October, when it won the Venice Golden Lion (can't remember the title of the award), and saw the article on the internet.

Knew at that moment I had to see the movie, but refused to read the short story.  i'm one of those people who will read the book, then see the movie, and think the book was better.  Didn't want to ruin the movie for myself, so I didn't read until after seeing the movie.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 12:27:25 pm »
i'm one of those people who will read the book, then see the movie, and think the book was better.  Didn't want to ruin the movie for myself, so I didn't read until after seeing the movie.

I read the story a couple of years before the movie came out, but I didn't have that problem. I liked the short story yeah, but Jesus H., nothing like the movie. It took me a while after that to warm up to the story.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 12:36:27 pm »
I don't remember where I first heard about it.
I really had mixed feelings. I wanted to see the movie but knew I wouldn't be able to until it came out on DVD or HBO. I saw it for the first time in April of this year.
As I suspected, my life hasn't been the same since.
I don't know that it ever will be.
Wether or not thats a good thing only time will tell.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"