Author Topic: Why is the "dozy embrace" in the film?  (Read 66499 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Brushes with celebrity
« Reply #160 on: August 29, 2006, 12:22:48 pm »
I lived in Los Angeles for a long time (at least it seemed like it) so I've had a few brushes with the glitterati. Here's one of my favorites:

I asked the guy I was dating (my future husband) to meet me at a restaurant on Pico Blvd. and we had to wait a long time for a table. Fortunately they had a wonderful array of antipasti at the bar. He went to the restroom and urged me to take a trip that way too. I found out why: just before the restroom door was a table where Robert Wagner, Jack Palance, and Natalie Wood were having dinner. I didn't bother them, but exchanged smoldering glances with Natalie. This was just a few months before she died.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
Re: Brushes with celebrity
« Reply #161 on: August 29, 2006, 12:29:29 pm »
I lived in Los Angeles for a long time (at least it seemed like it) so I've had a few brushes with the glitterati. Here's one of my favorites:

I  Natalie. This was just a few months before she died.
Or perhaps was murdered.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Why is the "dozy embrace" in the film?
« Reply #162 on: December 15, 2006, 02:45:06 am »
A little OT but does anyone have a nice graphic image of the 'dozy embrace' - I'm really looking for an image taken from a distance that has the full-length shot of both Jack and Ennis behind the campfire. I googled the image and downloaded the close-up version. Thank you in advance.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #163 on: December 15, 2006, 09:36:13 am »
A little OT but does anyone have a nice graphic image of the 'dozy embrace' - I'm really looking for an image taken from a distance that has the full-length shot of both Jack and Ennis behind the campfire. I googled the image and downloaded the close-up version. Thank you in advance.

Do you have software for image diting? I found only very dark versions on stripedwall.com  I'll give you the link anyway. Stripedwall is a great source. They have more than 500 screencaps from BBM.

Link to the BBM directory at stripedwall:
http://www.stripedwall.com/cpg/index.php?cat=11

Link to the scene you wanted:
http://www.stripedwall.com/cpg/displayimage.php?album=182&pos=20

Either you could edit it to your likes, or you just wait till someone else finds a better, lighter version of this pic.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #164 on: December 15, 2006, 12:36:51 pm »
Do you have software for image diting? I found only very dark versions on stripedwall.com  I'll give you the link anyway. Stripedwall is a great source. They have more than 500 screencaps from BBM.

Link to the BBM directory at stripedwall:
http://www.stripedwall.com/cpg/index.php?cat=11

Link to the scene you wanted:
http://www.stripedwall.com/cpg/displayimage.php?album=182&pos=20

Either you could edit it to your likes, or you just wait till someone else finds a better, lighter version of this pic.

OMgosh - YOU ROCK! Thank you thank you thank you so much. Obviously, I'm still in stage one (obsession) - only saw BBM 5 days ago for the first time. Love the forum. Have a great day.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #165 on: December 15, 2006, 12:56:15 pm »
Welcome to our obsession, BBM-Cat! Tell U what, there ain't no reins on this one! (You probably suspected that, but it's true!) I love that scene too, particularly the way the camera sweeps up Jack's body to his sweet dozy face, with Ennis approaching him from behind and grabbing him roughly but also tenderly. Next time you watch the movie (which I hope is soon) be sure to watch carefully the very beginning of that scene where the camera grazes the campfire, and you can see the tops of the bucket and the coffeepot lined up together very neatly, echoing the figures of Jack and Ennis themselves. That is so poignant!

Also, notice the music: the intertwining of the acoustic and the pedal steel guitar.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #166 on: December 15, 2006, 01:07:25 pm »
Obsession yes! But I don't want to be cured of it. That scene for me at least capitulates utter and total contentment - a moment frozen in time. I just love it. I sneak glances of it on my computer during the day at work. Thank you for the symbolic pointers too - when I do sit down to watch BBM again I will be much more attuned due to this forum! I am overwhelmed by the incredible level of insight and symbolism discussed on this board. Never has a movie taken such a powerful hold on me and I'm sure glad there ain't no reins on this one! Here's my intro and where I'm at in the process: http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=31.510

Welcome to our obsession, BBM-Cat! Tell U what, there ain't no reins on this one! (You probably suspected that, but it's true!) I love that scene too, particularly the way the camera sweeps up Jack's body to his sweet dozy face, with Ennis approaching him from behind and grabbing him roughly but also tenderly. Next time you watch the movie (which I hope is soon) be sure to watch carefully the very beginning of that scene where the camera grazes the campfire, and you can see the tops of the bucket and the coffeepot lined up together very neatly, echoing the figures of Jack and Ennis themselves. That is so poignant!

Also, notice the music: the intertwining of the acoustic and the pedal steel guitar.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #167 on: December 15, 2006, 01:12:00 pm »
I think of this scene so often that it's practically tatooed onto my eyelids!! I can't understand why for the likes of me anyone would ask why the scene is even in the film (it has a likewise prominent place in the story too) but at least it did start this beautiful discussion!! Thanks as well for introducing yourself!!

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #168 on: December 15, 2006, 09:28:38 pm »
I love that! What a perfect description of the emotional impact that scene has. I have to ask, it's been a year since the movie came out, do you (or other posters) see the same questions and themes from the new discoverers of the movie? I feel like I am far behind the rest of the BBM world but I am trying my best to catch up. I also can't imagine ever getting tired of this specific scene or image.

I think of this scene so often that it's practically tatooed onto my eyelids!! I can't understand why for the likes of me anyone would ask why the scene is even in the film (it has a likewise prominent place in the story too) but at least it did start this beautiful discussion!! Thanks as well for introducing yourself!!

moremojo

« Reply #169 on: December 15, 2006, 09:40:10 pm »
I have to ask, it's been a year since the movie came out, do you (or other posters) see the same questions and themes from the new discoverers of the movie?
Absolutely. The emotional responses are often so similar: not being able to think of anything else, the two boys even invading one's dreams; raw emotion just below the surface, ready to come up with anything reminding one of the film; alternating feelings of elation that one has been touched by such artistic beauty, and worries for one's sanity or emotional health due to the intensity and duration of the obsession. It is also very common for people to reassess their own lives, usually finding areas lacking fulfillment, and striving for new resolve to make something better of their remaining time on this earth.

One also hears the same questions come up again and again: How did Jack die? And what did Ennis mean by "Jack, I swear--"? Added to this is a strong urge to discuss the story and its implications at great length and detail. The obsession does lessen over time, but for myself I have come to realize that Jack and Ennis will always be a part of my heart and life. This was a life experience for me, a miracle even.

And by the way, I was a relative latecomer myself, having first seen the film on February the 18th (the eve of my thirty-ninth birthday anniversary). I went on to see the film four more times in the theater, have invested in the DVD, and have reviewed the short story any number of times.