Author Topic: Why is the "dozy embrace" in the film?  (Read 66466 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Why is the "dozy embrace" in the film?
« Reply #170 on: December 15, 2006, 10:04:37 pm »
I love that! What a perfect description of the emotional impact that scene has. I have to ask, it's been a year since the movie came out, do you (or other posters) see the same questions and themes from the new discoverers of the movie? I feel like I am far behind the rest of the BBM world but I am trying my best to catch up. I also can't imagine ever getting tired of this specific scene or image.

I don't think you should feel behind, BBM-Cat.  I also came to the movie relatively late because I live in the back of beyond.  I read the short story first - and couldn't stop obsesssng over it - so I was *DYING* for the movie to get anywhere close!

No matter how many times I see it (21 theatre, uncounted at home DVD), I always - thus far - have found new or different insight each and every time.  The last few times have been special beyond explanation because they were group Brokie viewings.  Previously, I'd only seen it alone (often in an empty theatre save me) or with someone I was desperately trying to get to understand *me* and my obsession, usually to no avail...

Eric (sfericsf) has told me that because BBM is an open narrative, what you get out of BBM is directly related to what you bring with you in your heart when you see it.  Maybe that is why each viewing can be fresh and new?

(Disclaimer:  I recall being chastised before by Eric that he did not originate the open narrative idea - I have no idea who did - I heard it first from Eric.)  At any rate, it rings true for me.

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #171 on: December 15, 2006, 11:22:30 pm »
BTW, it worked perfectly - I downloaded the image then brightened it. Thanks for brightening my day with the link.

Do you have software for image diting? I found only very dark versions on stripedwall.com  I'll give you the link anyway. Stripedwall is a great source. They have more than 500 screencaps from BBM......
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #172 on: December 16, 2006, 12:06:10 am »
FrontRanger - got to view the image in closer detail from the link Penthesilea provided - excellent symmetry, and then I also noticed that orange line on the the other side of Jack and Ennis serving as some kind of dividing line. Interesting.

I have a question maybe you can help me with (probably a basic, newbie type of question) - I think I understand the symbolism for Ennis and the coffeepot (the famous Lake Scene quote) - but can you elucidate on Jack and the bucket? Or, maybe point me to a discussion thread that explains this? Thank you.

Welcome to our obsession, BBM-Cat! Tell U what, there ain't no reins on this one! (You probably suspected that, but it's true!) I love that scene too, particularly the way the camera sweeps up Jack's body to his sweet dozy face, with Ennis approaching him from behind and grabbing him roughly but also tenderly. Next time you watch the movie (which I hope is soon) be sure to watch carefully the very beginning of that scene where the camera grazes the campfire, and you can see the tops of the bucket and the coffeepot lined up together very neatly, echoing the figures of Jack and Ennis themselves. That is so poignant!
Also, notice the music: the intertwining of the acoustic and the pedal steel guitar.

Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #173 on: December 16, 2006, 02:07:23 am »
BBM-Cat, here's the thread that talks about the bucket and coffeepot symbolism (and a lot of other things).

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=569.0

And don't ever feel you have to apologize for asking "newbie-type questions." You, and everyone else who just discovered the movie, are bringing a wonderful energy to this forum. (I can't wait until you've read the story and can add your insights into all the discussions about Jack's and Ennis's personality. We've needed a trained psychologist around these parts. :D )
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #174 on: December 16, 2006, 10:49:43 pm »
Thanks Everyone  - for your patience with repetitive questions and the willingness to increase my, and other newbies, insight and understanding. It seems advanced study in English literature might suit me better than psychology! (LOL).  I'll definitely have a different perspective next time I watch BBM, which is planned for this evening.

Evidently I misread the HBO tv schedule thinking it was on tonight. "Too bad" I had to go out and buy the DVD today ....that did get me thinking about all those people who saw it a year ago and were dependent upon returning to the theater multiple times before the DVD came out. And, to think it only showed in selected locations. That must have been very rough for many.

By chance did anyone see the new book at Amazon.com? I did go ahead and order it as well as STS and Close Range.
- I Wish I Knew How to Quit You: An Unofficial Brokeback Mountain Trivia Book
http://www.amazon.com/Wish-Knew-How-Quit-You/dp/1430303603/sr=1-8/qid=1166323615/ref=sr_1_8/105-7771526-4491620?ie=UTF8&s=books

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #175 on: December 16, 2006, 10:55:33 pm »
I haven't heard of this book! I'll definitely have to order it!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #176 on: December 17, 2006, 06:49:57 am »
....that did get me thinking about all those people who saw it a year ago and were dependent upon returning to the theater multiple times before the DVD came out. And, to think it only showed in selected locations. That must have been very rough for many.

Someone (don't remember who, sorry) phrased it this way: youtube.com saved many lives in those times before the DVD came out
So true  :D. I was lucky since I saw BBM the first time in end of March and the DVD came out in GB end of April.

By chance did anyone see the new book at Amazon.com? I did go ahead and order it as well as STS and Close Range.
- I Wish I Knew How to Quit You: An Unofficial Brokeback Mountain Trivia Book
http://www.amazon.com/Wish-Knew-How-Quit-You/dp/1430303603/sr=1-8/qid=1166323615/ref=sr_1_8/105-7771526-4491620?ie=UTF8&s=books

I haven't heard of it either  :o. Lee and BBM-Cat, please let us know details about it as soon as you read it. I'm definitely interested.
I suggest you open a thread about this book on the "Movie Resources" forum, to spread the news. I'm sure others will be interested, too. The movie resources forum is here:
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?board=2.0

BBM-Cat, you are indeed infected with Brokeback fever, buying all three books and the DVD in one fell swoop  ;D.

Have you already read the thread about Brokeback Fever? It's by our own Leslie (Maine Writer) and it's hilarious, but also true  ;). It's here:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=492.0
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 06:55:21 am by Penthesilea »

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #177 on: January 25, 2007, 02:43:30 pm »
bump
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #178 on: May 09, 2010, 11:37:57 pm »
Question for everyone: how many times do Jack and Ennis have a dozy embrace in the movie??
"chewing gum and duct tape"