Author Topic: Gift of Exile - first fanfic  (Read 92995 times)

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Gift of Exile - first fanfic
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2007, 04:38:45 pm »
Marcia!! How utterly wonderful of you to post these great pictures! I love them. I love the house, LOVE the front porch, LOVE the outdoor pics too and the beach!!!

Thank you so much for doing this!  :)  :)  :)  I'll look forward to the update even more now!

one_of_one

« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2007, 06:29:34 pm »
Oh wow Marcia these are fabulous!

I love the "where Ennis stays initially" description of the loft room :)  And David's room is uber romantic!

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2007, 11:30:27 am »
I just flicked back to your first post on this story to get the link because I want to reread again...and you said about 18 chapters.  It's not going to tie up so quickly is it?

No - that was just my initial estimate of the number of chapters. I'd say it's about 60 percent done, but some of the chapters toward the end might be short ones. I'd thought of employing the "snapshot" approach that was done in the movie to cope with a passage of a number of years.

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2007, 01:50:43 pm »
I was interested to see that you went with the accident version of Jack's death - as you had him trying to recall it (ugh...).  Some folk are of the view that cos AP uses the words "the accident" in her prose & only refers to it as the tire iron in conjunction with this being Ennis's thoughts, that it actually was an accident & the tire iron was purely Ennis's view.  This doesn't make much difference to your story I don't think, other than making it heart-rending to think of Jack being aware of being attacked so viciously,  but I picked up on it cos I've been thinking on it of late & I've come down on the "it was an accident" view after many months of deliberation. 

The house pics are great btw  :)
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2007, 03:47:59 pm »
I was interested to see that you went with the accident version of Jack's death - as you had him trying to recall it (ugh...).  Some folk are of the view that cos AP uses the words "the accident" in her prose & only refers to it as the tire iron in conjunction with this being Ennis's thoughts, that it actually was an accident & the tire iron was purely Ennis's view.  This doesn't make much difference to your story I don't think, other than making it heart-rending to think of Jack being aware of being attacked so viciously,  but I picked up on it cos I've been thinking on it of late & I've come down on the "it was an accident" view after many months of deliberation. 

Actually, I went with the attack version. If you re-read Jack's recollections in Chapter 16, he recalls getting in a few good licks against his attackers and that "mercifully one of the heavy pipes his assailants had used had broken his neck early on." But personally, I never have decided what version is the "correct" one. If Jack's death was an accident, there's a horrible irony in Ennis situation: he's sacrificed the life he could have had with Jack thinking that if they avoid this one danger (gay-bashing), they'll both be safe. Never stops to think that there are thousands of ways a person can die and any of them could happen to either him or Jack at any time.

However, if Jack was going to continue as a character in the story after his physical death, and I wanted to tell anything from his POV, I had to decide on a cause of death. Jack would certainly remember what happened.

The house pics are great btw  :)

Thanks! Hope Ennis likes the house too....  ;)

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2007, 08:28:33 pm »
Thanks for posting those photos - they are great. The beach looks lovely; too bad it's too cold to go swimming. I'm looking forward to more chapters from you!
Leslie.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2007, 11:23:03 am »
Thanks for posting those photos - they are great. The beach looks lovely; too bad it's too cold to go swimming. I'm looking forward to more chapters from you!

I've seen people swimming in Lake Superior and will probably have Ennis do that at least once, but the closest I've ever gotten is wading!   ;)  And I've been told that this long sandy beach is unusual for Superior - most of its beaches are rocky.

I look forward to more chapters too - will have to tackle Ennis' arrival this week. Thanks!

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2007, 01:42:47 pm »
Sorry, I meant to say attack in my first sentence - d'oh.  Probably too much of it going around in my head.  I know, if an accident it makes it worse in a way  :(
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2007, 04:52:08 pm »
Sorry, I meant to say attack in my first sentence - d'oh. 

I can identify with that - now it makes more sense! Either way, Jack's death taught Ennis in the worst possible way what the consequence of a life ruled by fear can be.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2007, 09:11:25 am »
I provided a recommendation for this story on Slash Discussion on DC:

excerpted here:

In this vein I would like to add my recommendations on stories that are excellently written and oft-overlooked that happen to "ship the OC" :  "A Gift of Exile" a remarkable first story by TDS Editor Marge_Innavera, and "Ennis: Brokeback Sequell" by Tom Forster.  Before getting into writing any fan fiction stories myself I sent a comment to Tom about "Ennis", which he wrote in December 2005, and it is one of the original fan stories about BBM.  He told me at the time that he felt very strongly about making a future for Ennis after the end of BBM, and like my story, and like Marge's story, Tom's Ennis is grief-stricken, and stumbles upon a new love relationship in an unlikely (but historically probably quite accurate way) by meeting another ranch hand in the course of ranching work when he is older.  He wrote the story for himself (as I initially wrote "Taking Chances" for myself), and like me, was sad to discover that it did not get much attention among other fans.  That has since changed.

"Ennis"  http://www.rainbowcommunitywritingproject.com/Ennis.html

Marge_Innavera' story "A Gift of Exile" has a quite original story line in it about the immediate future after the end of BBM in which Ennis meets a "gay man" who is a wedding guest at a marriage reception in Riverton and takes up a correspondence with him after giving him some horseback riding lessons.  The truly unique take on BBM that Marge brings to this tale is the mystical element, expanding Annie Proulx's concept of "seeing Jack in his dream" into a complete mystical journey in which Jack returns to Ennis on Brokeback in a two-day-long vision -- reminiscent of vision quests of the native peoples -- and urges him to find a new life with his blessing, allowing Ennis to say goodbye at last, and enjoy the peace that comes from knowing that the dead have not truly died but live on in a spiritual sense.  It is the mystical tale that I was going for myself in writing "A Warm Wind Blows", my first fan fiction about Ennis developing cancer in later life and receiving a visitation from a still young Jack Twist who reassures him he does not have to die of grief. Mine was a bit of a ghost-story fantasy romp, but Marge's is a far more serious, far more moving treatment:

"A Gift of Exile" http://talkstocoyotes.livejournal.com/
http://www.davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=20812.msg763508#msg763508

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”