Author Topic: Little Ashes: new film about early, gay love affairs of Salvador Dali  (Read 26181 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Heya,

I saw a little segment about this new film (to be released on May 8, 2009) on E!News the other day.  So, I did some googling and thought I'd post this here.

It's called Little Ashes and stars Robert Pattinson (of Twilight fame) as a very young Salvador Dali and seems to focus on very early affairs Dali had with some young men including a filmmaker named Luis Buñuel and particularly a writer named Federico García Lorca.

From the clips shown on E!, it appears that there are some pretty steamy scenes in this film.

Here's the link to the imdb page about it.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1104083/

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Little Ashes: new film about early, gay love affairs of Salvador Dali
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 06:45:45 pm »
OMG!  This is too funny.  I've been trying to remember the title of this film for the last half hour or so!  I was on that April Fool's thread about an upcoming "Gorgeous Gay Film" with known actors and it reminded me that there really IS an upcoming "Gorgeous Gay Film" with known actors.  But although I could visualize the poster I couldn't remember the title or who was in it.  How could I forget that it stars Robert Pattinson!  I fell in love with him only two days ago when i watched TWILIGHT (Terrible movie, but I enjoyed every second of it thanks to dreamy mister P :laugh:)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 06:50:43 pm »
OMG!  This is too funny.  I've been trying to remember the title of this film for the last half hour or so!  I was on that April Fool's thread about an upcoming gay film with known actors and it reminded me that there really IS an upcoming Gay film with known actors.  But although I could visualize the poster I couldn't remember the title or who was in it.  How could I forget that it stars Robert Pattinson!  I fell in love with him only two days ago when i watched TWILIGHT (Terrible movie, but I enjoyed every second of it thanks to dreamy mister P :laugh:)

I've never seen Twilight, but I do remember him as Cedric in Harry Potter.  Anyway, I think it's good casting... at least physically he resembles a young Dali I think.

I don't really know enough about his acting ability to be able to say more than that.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 06:52:25 pm »
Here's a link to the movie's website:

http://www.littleashes-themovie.com/

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 07:02:50 pm »
I've never seen Twilight, but I do remember him as Cedric in Harry Potter.  Anyway, I think it's good casting... at least physically he resembles a young Dali I think.

I don't really know enough about his acting ability to be able to say more than that.

I didn't even know he was in the Harry Potter films!  That sure explains his instant huge fanbase of t(w)eens a little better.

What he lacks in acting ability, if he does indeed lack something, he more than makes up in screen presence, he's very charismatic.  He had to deliver some potentially embarrassing scenes & dialogue in Twilight but he came out completely unscathed.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 07:11:41 pm »

FWIW (regardless of how successful this new films ends up being), I give him props for choosing to take on this much more serious/ sophisticated and potentially challenging subject on the heels of the teen movies.

LOL, and also FWIW, I really like the Harry Potter books and movies.  I find them fun and I kind of think of them as a guilty/ silly pleasure.
:)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 07:41:35 pm »

http://twilight-movie.org/2009/03/15/javier-beltran-talks-about-filming-a-scene-with-robert-pattinson/
Javier Beltran recently made the cover of Out, where he talked a bit filming a sexual scene with Robert Pattinson. If you may recall, in his GQ article Rob talked about his sexual scenes with Beltran in their upcoming movie Little Ashes. They played Salvador Dali and Federico Lorca in the film, which explores the homosexual relationship of the artist and poet. Here is what Javier has to say:

Said Beltran: “We didn’t have any problems with the sexuality. On the set it was less important than the emotions. The sex scenes are beautiful—tragic and painful.”

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 08:11:13 pm »
Sounds intriguing.  Thanks for posting, Amanda.  8)

I'll be curious to see if Robert Pattinson can bring this off.  Dali was quite a character, a LOT more colorful than Cedric or the Twilight vampire put together.  Maybe he has reserves we haven't seen yet.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 08:17:38 pm »
OMG!  This is too funny.  I've been trying to remember the title of this film for the last half hour or so!  I was on that April Fool's thread about an upcoming "Gorgeous Gay Film" with known actors and it reminded me that there really IS an upcoming "Gorgeous Gay Film" with known actors.  But although I could visualize the poster I couldn't remember the title or who was in it.  How could I forget that it stars Robert Pattinson!  I fell in love with him only two days ago when i watched TWILIGHT (Terrible movie, but I enjoyed every second of it thanks to dreamy mister P :laugh:)

Hey Gil, I saw Twilight three days ago, and was, unfortunately, not smitten.

However, I look forward to this film.  Dali has often been portrayed as a caricature of himself.   Perhaps this film, with Bunuel and Lorca, will show a different side. 

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 09:39:15 pm »

However, I look forward to this film.  Dali has often been portrayed as a caricature of himself.   Perhaps this film, with Bunuel and Lorca, will show a different side. 

Well, I think... at least in his mature career, Dali deliberately tried to project a caricature of himself or a totally exaggerated-type persona.  Performance or the projection of an eccentric personality was part of his project as an artist. I don't know much at all about Dali's early biography or how his career started out, but later on as an artist he had a reputation, and has a reputation within art history, of occasionally being a pretty unsavory guy.  If nothing else, it'll be interesting to learn a little bit more about how Dali's youth is portrayed.

LOL, I'll also say that while doing some googling earlier for some of the posts here in this thread, I came across some images from this film... that would well, make me blush to post them...
 :o

So, this will be a totally different kind of film for Pattinson.