Author Topic: Susan Boyle on Britain's Got Talent  (Read 36560 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Susan Boyle on Britain's Got Talent
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2009, 07:50:45 pm »
Do you know its weird.. the accent almost always goes when we sing.. I know of only maybe two bands that I can think off the top of my head who sound scottish when they sing..

The proclaimers

When I read this, I thought, wait a minute, what about those guys on the Shrek soundtrack?

So I looked it up, and of course it was The Proclaimers.

I also thought about Big Country, but realized they don't sound very Scottish.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2009, 08:45:51 pm »
Please don't throw anything at me, but...

As heart-warming a story this is, I'm a little cynical when it comes to these kinds of shows.  They're just a little formulaic.  I remember Paul Potts, the schmendrick who sang "Nessun Dorma" over and over again, and everyone raved.  To me, this is the same thing, meant to pull at your heartstrings and your prejudices.  Simon gets his comeuppance!  The audience groans in horror then shrieks with approval!

(Not to mention that both "Nessun Dorma" and "I Dreamed a Dream" are cliches of the highest order.)

I may be wrong, but I always suspect the reality shows are somewhat scripted and manipulative. 

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2009, 11:33:46 pm »
Well, here's another interesting viewpoint, from jezebel.com:

http://jezebel.com/5215015/susan-boyle-has-come-to-save-us-from-our-shallowness?skyline=true&s=i

We Dreamed A Dream
      Susan Boyle Has Come To Save Us From Our Shallowness!
      By Sadie, 3:00 PM on Thu Apr 16 2009

The party line on "unlikely sensation" Susan Boyle is that we're all obsessed with appearances. But if that's true...why do we all love being wrong so much?

The media furor surrounding Susan Boyle is noteworthy: today alone she appeared on CBS's Early Show, and was lauded by Patti LuPone for her rendition of "I Dreamed A Dream." Having only appeared in the qualifying round for Britain's Got Talent, it's already assumed that Boyle will receive a lucrative recording contract. The blogs are a-twitter with this Magical Woman, come to teach us Lessons. What fools we are! we self-castigate. Here's a dowdy lady who doesn't look like an American Idol contestant and we judge! Because she hasn't received validation from the patriarchy, we assume she's unworthy! And we were wrong! Stupid, stupid, shallow idiots! We judge! And are found wanting! Ad nauseam! For the record, I do believe the outpouring of emotion elicited by Boyle's bravura performance was completely genuine; it's our critical reaction that gives me pause.

Never, in the history of reality TV, have so many been so happy to have been mistaken. From the judges, who delightedly speak of their surpassed expectations, to the live audience as thrilled by being wrong as by the triumph of Boyle's soaring vocals. Ironically, all of this points to a miscalculation on the part of the media. Sure, we're inured to the prospect of taut 17-year-olds belting out Mariah Carey, but clearly we prefer Susan Boyle. Says the blog The American Scene, "The irony is overwhelming: by singing this song about broken dreams, Boyle — whose life has apparently, up to that moment, been difficult enough to justify the lyrics as autobiography — makes her lifelong dream of success as a professional singer effectively come true."

Sure, part of it is probably novelty. It's not just Boyle's unmanicured appearance, but the fact that, to Americans especially, she's one of the few exotics left to us: a figure seemingly from another era, not merely old-fashioned in presentation but in her total disregard for norms. For let's face it: it's not just Boyle's appearance that generated skepticism, but the fact that she wouldn't realize it to be a deterrent. It seems to me disingenuous and simplistic to keep harping on our judging Boyle because she was "ugly" — which she is not — when the issue seems more one of juxtaposition than anything. To attempt this sort of show, but not to buy into the accepted mold, was an act of impunity that seemed to disregard of all the rules of the game, and made one fear that here was another deluded, oblivious person being exploited for laughs. Our joy was as much relief as surprise. And that joy is very real.

Boyle's story — that of a small, quiet life, in which she struggled with learning problems and devoted her adult life to caring for an elderly mother, giving her talent to a church choir — is probably not uncommon. We don't love stories of the everyday; we love stories of triumphing over adversity. It's the same in movies or TV; a character can have a small life or a blue-collar job as long as he has Big Dreams. We like our slumdogs to end up millionaires and our Britons to actually have talent. It is moving to see Boyle singing a song of broken dreams and lost youth, knowing what one does of her life — but only because we know now there are better things to come. If we didn't have a happy ending, could we bear to think of Boyle rehearsing the same song, the same words, by herself in her modest home? These triumphs are of value to us only as they comfort — even if, as in this case, it comes at our own expense.

Yes, there is something exploitative about it: it may seem patronizing for Demi and Ashton to tweet about the inspiration of her performance, or for Patti LuPone to praise her rendition of the song. Everyone seems amazed that she "triumphed" over a normal appearance and quiet life, and none of these interviews is complete without someone reminding Boyle, forcibly and repeatedly, that everyone was "laughing at her," and was "shocked" by her voice. (Said judge Piers Morgan, "When you stood there with that cheeky grin and said, 'I want to be like Elaine Paige', everyone was laughing at you." Concurred Amanda Holden, "I am so thrilled, because I know that everybody was against you.") Said one commenter on Margaret's original post,

"Look at this dowdy cat lady with a decent singing voice!" is just as much as a gimmick as giving someone attention based on their good looks alone. It's the average person with no back story that really has less of a chance to be seen on these shows.[/color]

There is indeed something worrisome about plucking someone from obscurity and feting them for a week or so to make the rest of us feel better, reducing her to a two-dimensional character who reaffirms our belief in the Power of Dreams, never mind that Boyle seemed neither miserable before, nor particularly turned by the attention.
(Indeed, she seems insufficiently willing to play the role for many of the interviewers, who seem reduced to portraying her as "lovable character" rather than "tragic redeemer.") It is a relief to know that Boyle's precursor, the opera-singing mobile-phone salesman Paul Potts, has actually gone on to a recording career and has not been abandoned by a fickle public, after having briefly Saved Us From Shallowness.

Why are we so delighted to have been mistaken? Why are we so happy to have the joke be on us? However manufactured and edited the shock of Boyle's performance — surely a producer's dream — we clearly choose to accept it at face value and cast ourselves as the villains needing to learn Important Lessons. It could have something to do with a deep-seeded sense of societal self-loathing, and a frustration with a pre-programmed and air-brushed world. It could be rooted in a sense of collective guilt, or identification. I think we just want to believe that cliches are true — and that we, too, are capable of Learning and Growing. Said Boyle, "Modern society is too quick to judge people on their appearances... There is not much you can do about it; it is the way they think; it is the way they are. But maybe this could teach them a lesson, or set an example."

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2009, 05:11:46 am »
Have you guys never heard I dreamed a Dream before?

I Dreamed a Dream and its "sister song" On my own are staples of my car&shower-singing repertoire.  ;D But then, I had such a thing for Les Mis back in the day I was able to sing the entire musical - all of it. Unfortunately, and obviously - completely without the vocal abilities of Ms. Boyle.  ;D

And I think knowing the song and various performances of it so well is why I haven't been completely bowled over by SB's "I dreamed a Dream" specifically, her wonderful singing voice notwithstanding. I mean, the setting of how she gets eye-rolls and mockery before she sings, and how everyone turns out to be so impressed as she sings, I can't but love that, even if there *is* some manipulation of emotions at work -  but I've heard the song so many, many times sung by various wonderful performers (including Patti LuPone, on stage back during the original London Les Mis performance).

BUT!!! I absolutely, totally adore her "Cry me a River" which I now have on repeat. Thank you so much for linking to that, Kelda.  :-*

I hope Susan manages to keep her cool. I also wish her every possible success.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2009, 06:31:45 am »
We Dreamed A Dream

Sadie seems to be a little cynical. And overanalytical maybe.

I have heard that song, Kelda. I love Les Mis--I have seen performances of it at the Orpheum in Memphis at least 3 times, and I have the CD. Lots of good stuff in that musical. Makes me want to go again!  ;)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2009, 06:41:10 am »
We Dreamed A Dream

Sadie seems to be a little cynical. And overanalytical maybe.

I have heard that song, Kelda. I love Les Mis--I have seen performances of it at the Orpheum in Memphis at least 3 times, and I have the CD. Lots of good stuff in that musical. Makes me want to go again!  ;)

It's a beautiful song.. but I have to say Ive never been interested in going to see Les Mis... I'm more of an upbeat musical fan..
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2009, 07:13:05 am »
It's a beautiful song.. but I have to say Ive never been interested in going to see Les Mis... I'm more of an upbeat musical fan..

Well, yeah. It has a lot of sad in it with some happy. But there is a really upbeat song in it--"Master of the House" -- funny and lots of action in the dance number.  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2009, 07:13:51 am »
Well, yeah. It has a lot of sad in it with some happy. But there is a really upbeat song in it--"Master of the House" -- funny and lots of action in the dance number.  :)

*off to youtube*

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFPsEwV38Q0[/youtube]

I wonder why it has subtitles? Is the accent too strong?

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2009, 07:21:33 am »
Britian's got talent is on again tonight, maybe we'll get another shock with someone else tonight. I'll eep you guys posted if there is anything noteworthy!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2009, 07:50:11 am »
That 10th anniversary collage of Les Mis doesn't show the dances--just the song performances. The performer standing at the mic. During the actual play--there is a lot going on during that song. Must be just for a special. The ones I have seen have had the subtitles---maybe so people can sing along.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~