Author Topic: Annie Proulx's still pissed...  (Read 79901 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: Annie Proulx's still pissed...
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2009, 12:29:46 am »
I dont read a lot of fan fiction, but with those that I have read, and if the names of the characters are Ennis and Jack, I have put the face of Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal to those characters....definately not the faces described in the book.........Heath and Jakes face did not belong to her.

The stories re-written.....does she think for one minute that her characters are the only ones who have ever gone through what they did, or that stories along the same lines can end differently. Does she hold the copyright or the "ownership" on all cowboys,or all gay men who fall in love.....no she doesn't.

I dont know what those writers think Annie will do with their fan fiction if they send it to her. What could she possibly do with it.  And that part of the interview I guess, I can agree with her feelings about that. No doubt, others involved in the film get the same fan fiction sent to them, but they obviously follow the road of common sense and throw it away without talking about it.

If people want to write fan fiction, then that is their perogative. If we wish to read it, we have that same perogative.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

JudgeHolden

« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2009, 01:17:01 am »

If people want to write fan fiction, then that is their perogative. If we wish to read it, we have that same perogative.

Those lawyers at Simon and Schuster might have something to say about that. Proulx is not as vigilant as some on protecting what is her intellectual property, when you get right down to it. Anyone writing fanfiction is assuming a level of risk, it goes with the terrtory. If your going to do 120 on the Interstate in the middle of BF Utah and a state trooper radars you out of nowhere, its pretty Damn dumb to argue with him over the ticket.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2009, 04:26:16 pm »
Those lawyers at Simon and Schuster might have something to say about that. Proulx is not as vigilant as some on protecting what is her intellectual property, when you get right down to it. Anyone writing fanfiction is assuming a level of risk, it goes with the terrtory. If your going to do 120 on the Interstate in the middle of BF Utah and a state trooper radars you out of nowhere, its pretty Damn dumb to argue with him over the ticket.

Butt-Fuck?  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

JudgeHolden

« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2009, 06:02:15 pm »
Butt-Fuck?  ;D

Dont tell me you never heard that exprerssion "B*F* Egypt" or just "BFE" or "B*F* [your little town name here]" to describe a place that is the ass-end of nowhere.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2009, 07:15:14 pm »
Dont tell me you never heard that exprerssion "B*F* Egypt" or just "BFE" or "B*F* [your little town name here]" to describe a place that is the ass-end of nowhere.

Oh, yeah (except for the "Egypt" part; that's new to me). Just making sure I understood you. I'm not used to people being so discreet as to just abbreviate it.  ;D

I guess East Butt-Fuck, or East Bumfuck, which I've also heard, must be east of the ass-end of nowhere.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2009, 10:51:58 pm »
Oh yeah!
My favorite is still 'Slingshit Asia"  :laugh:
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2009, 01:14:55 am »
Oh yeah!
My favorite is still 'Slingshit Asia"  :laugh:

That one's new to me. Is it east or west of East Bumfuck?  :laugh:

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2009, 03:11:12 am »
She can be a cranky crabass.  We knew that already.  She wouldn't be her if she wasn't.  Remember the trashing and thrashing she gave the Academy Awards experience?  But she also said that Heath Ledger's name should be Heath Legend, so she has my support to be whatever the fuck she wants.

And I'm guessing she's wrong about the gender of many of the fan fiction writers she's referring to, just based on what seems like an overwhelming majority that I know of being women.

She's cantankerous, and it allows her the discipline to sit and write, all by herself.  I say let be let be.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2009, 06:22:23 am »
That one's new to me. Is it east or west of East Bumfuck?  :laugh:

LOL! Pretty sure it's east of there! :laugh:
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline min

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2009, 06:31:54 am »
My two cents worth, but if it weren't for BBM the movie, I probably would never have read any of Annie Proulx's works to the end as I found them difficult to 'get into'.  But I persisted just because of BBM the short story and have come to enjoy her style, esp her short stories.

As for the people who have rewritten her stories with a different ending and then sent them to her, well, I don't know why they think she would be flattered or agree with them.