Author Topic: How to Avoid Looking Like an American Tourist  (Read 24434 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
How to Avoid Looking Like an American Tourist
« on: May 07, 2009, 12:03:48 am »
I found this over at the IUPUI website. The school's website contained a link to the following article posted at Texas A&M advising their students how to not look like an American while travelling in other countries.

I found it very interesting and a bit scary. However this information may be helpful for any American Brokies (or their friends and family) planning to travel outside the U.S.

___________________________________________________________________________________

International Programs at Texas A&M University
Study Abroad Program

How to Avoid Looking Like a US Tourist

Compare your outward appearance and behaviors to those of people who live in the country you visit. The more you blend in, the less chance there is for you to look like a tourist. Some simple ways to spot a US citizen in a crowd overseas include the following.

Some clothing choices signal one as being a US citizen.

Wearing baseball or trucker caps

Wearing US brand name clothing with the names (ie. Nike, Gap, Abercrombie, Patriotic, Texas A&M, etc.) easily readable

Wearing white socks with shoes instead of dark socks

Dressing informally instead of more formally, (ie. wearing sneakers, t-shirts, jeans, or shorts instead of slacks or skirts with shirts or blouses)

Wearing inappropriate outfits in public spaces such as churches, theaters, and restaurants. Such outfits include, but are not limited to, shorts and halter or tube tops. Remember also that jeans are not universally accepted as appropriate in all social situations. It is best to consider taking more pairs of trousers or slacks in lieu of jeans.

Wearing colored clothing that is not typical to the culture you are visiting. For example, in some countries solid or dark colors are more prominent than bright colors or prints.

Wearing shirts tucked in or left hanging out, depending on the country you are visiting. Sometimes this differs for men and women in the same country.

Women using head scarves in some religious establishments. It would be wise to research this in advance and be prepared to take something with you if you plan to visit religious places.

In some countries, NOT wearing something could signal that you are a tourist. For example, in some countries, hats or scarves are worn by the majority, or, in winter, most people might wear neck scarves. Be alert to simple, inexpensive ways that you could blend in.

A number of food related habits signal that someone might be from the US.

Avoid walking down the street while eating food.

Requesting, at a restaurant, typical US condiments like catsup, salt, pepper, etc. It is best to use the typical condiments in your host country, but if you cannot eat without some condiment, take small packets with you to use rather than insisting that the restaurant supply you with it.

Don't insist on drinking “Coke” with every meal.

Try to manage without requesting ice in your drinks.

Remember that often “bottled water” will be carbonated. Before the waiter brings it and opens it, be sure to request water that is “natural” instead of “with gas”, if that is what you prefer.

Avoid visiting US chain restaurants for every meal.

Use local table manners instead of US ones. For example, in Europe, a fork and knife are used differently than in the US. In some Southeast Asian nations chopsticks might be more appropriate.

Don't insist on ordering meals in a typical US fashion. For example, in some countries, a salad is the last item served, not the first. In others, people don't eat what we in the US think of as a “salad”.

Be conscious of your behavior in public places. Here are some examples that could signal you are a US citizen:

Avoid making eye contact, smiling, greeting, and engaging in conversation with strangers.

Refrain from carrying US newspapers or books in plain view.

Be careful about folding and unfolding city maps in public spaces. Move out of the way to consult maps. It is best to plan your routes in advance of leaving your hotel and have the maps pre-folded so they may be easily accessed and read.

Refrain from loud talking, large arm and hand movements, and boisterous behavior. Adults in most cultures are more reserved and use lower voices in public places (i.e., train stations, shopping centers, public streets, etc.).

If you must use a dictionary to translate a sign or menu, be discrete. For example, copy down the words of the sign and move aside to a less public place to work out the translation.

Avoid showing other people what you have purchased by pulling items out of shopping bags in public places such as streets, busses, etc.

Don't discuss the local people, their customs, clothing, or habits in public. While many US citizens are not bilingual, many people in other countries speak English and will understand what you are saying.

Be conscious of the amount of space you occupy; most cultures are used to using less than US citizens. For example, try not to occupy more space than locals at a restaurant counter, in a waiting area in the train station, in the bus, etc.

Avoid chewing gum in public places.

Place purses or bags securely in your lap instead of on the table at a restaurant or hanging it on the back of a chair.

Note: We appreciate the assistance of faculty, staff, and students who made suggestions that were incorporated into this handout. If you have other ideas that would be helpful to share with those traveling outside the US, please share them with the Study Abroad Programs staff at 845-0544.

http://studyabroad.tamu.edu/travel_avoid.asp

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
Re: How to Avoid Looking Like an American Tourist
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 02:50:01 am »
If you must use a dictionary to translate a sign or menu, be discrete.

Christ, this is on a university website?  (Obviously they weren't using a dictionary...)

Very interesting advice overall, though.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 03:44:29 am »
Good catch Laura, I didn't even notice that one! :)

Here's a few more tips, these directly from the IUPUI website:

Good Practices for Safety and Security Abroad

Pre-Departure

Make photocopies of the front page of your passport. Ensure that your faculty director, your emergency contact person in the U.S., and the Study Abroad Office all have copies.

Communication

Stay in regular contact with program staff and fellow participants. Ensure when traveling or going out independently that the program coordinator, fellow participants, and family know where you are going and when you expect to return. Provide them with an itinerary in advance, if viable, as well as emergency contact information.

Establish a regular phone or e-mail contact schedule with family or friends.

If at all possible, rent or buy a global (GSM) cell phone while abroad so family and program participants can readily be contacted, and calls can be made more easily in general (no need to have local calling cards, coins, etc.).

Know how to use a pay telephone and keep the proper change on hand.

Know at least a few phrases in the local language so you can signal your need for help, the police, or a doctor.

In-Country Behavior

Read and behave in accordance with any safety and/or emergency protocols set out by IU policy and the policies of your program director.

Consider registering with the U.S. Embassy.

Continue normal routines within their program.

Carry a photocopy of the front page of your passport.

Travel light. You can move more quickly and are less likely to set your luggage down, leaving it unattended.

Avoid crowds or moving about the city as large groups of readily identifiable Americans.

Maintain a low profile while in the host country; including adopting more regionally appropriate dress standards, speech patterns and behavior (see, for example, the article “How to Avoid Looking Like a U.S. Tourist").

Avoid locations known to be common gathering points for U.S. citizens (including bars, restaurants, nightclubs, etc.).

Avoid discussing politics or government/regulatory policies as topics of conversation, debate or as general points of comparative exchanges.

Avoid public demonstrations and other civil disturbances.

Don't use short cuts, narrow alleys or poorly-lit streets. Try not to travel alone at night.

Avoid carrying large amounts of cash by changing your travelers' checks only as you need currency.

Carry the following phone numbers and email addresses at all times:

Family at home and work

Study abroad program resident director, IU International Office emergency contact numbers, or, if applicable, contact numbers for the foreign university international student office.

U.S. Embassy and/or local Consulate in any country they visit

Travel agent

Local police and fire service

Medical facilities

Your hotel

Be Informed

Know the local laws. When you are in a foreign country, you are subject to its laws. Monitor and assess safety issues in the region and country in which you are studying by:

periodically checking the U.S. Department of State Consular Information Sheets and Travel Warnings.

reading local newspapers and guidebooks

reading the pre-departure materials provided by the host program or university.

Read and refer family/friends to the advice contained in “Advice for Parents: Frequently Asked Questions” by William Hoffa, Academic Consultants International.

http://www.iupui.edu/~abroad/safety/practices.html

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 04:08:39 am »
Before I read the article, I thought about it myself....how do I pick an American Tourist?

(Just in case anyone here does not know I live in Australia)

The first thing I thought of was the baseball caps, as far as clothing was concerned.

A lot I have seen, also wear nice clean thick soled sneakers....probably because they are doing a lot of walking and sight seeing. (sneakers are worn a lot here by the younger generation, but not so much by the older generations)

Also, the use of "bum bags"....(I think you might call them "fanny bags")

And there is the different way you eat compared to us.....we hold fork in left hand and knife in right hand, and feed ourselves with the fork in our left hand, wheras, Americans cut their food, then transfer fork to right hand to feed it into mouth.

Oh, and Americans tip......we dont.

The lovely thing I have found is that if you start a conversation with an American, they are very friendly, tell you where they come from, usually tell you that they love Australia, and are having a wonderful time, and tell you where they have just been or about to go.

Oh, and of course....after speaking to an Australian for a while, they usually smile and say in their American accent.....goodday mate....not sounding one bit like an Aussie, but we still say...."well done, stay here any longer and you will be mistaken for a real Aussie".....

Love em.......always had great encounters with American tourists.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

injest

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 07:28:42 am »
and people wonder why I am not the least interested in going to another country.

::) ::) ::)

translates to me as "They'll take your money and allow you to go over but lort shut up, keep your eyes down and arms and legs INSIDE the car at all times. Straighten up!"

::) ::)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 09:08:11 am »
LOL, sometimes the list reads like "How to fit in and be polite" and sometimes it reads like "How to avoid being taken hostage by terrorists targeting Americans."

In other words, I think it makes sense not to be rude, not to wear shorts and casual clothes in a dressy place or church, not to openly discuss others assuming they don't understand English, not to be loud and overbearing and insist on having everything the American way. On the other hand, in most countries at most times -- that is, unless the situation is dangerous -- I don't think there's anything wrong with having people realize you are American. Most people would be fine with that, just as I would be fine with anybody visiting here who revealed themselves as being from another country.

I thought this one was sad:

Avoid making eye contact, smiling, greeting, and engaging in conversation with strangers.

It's true that many non-Americans don't go around smiling at passersby the way many Americans do. On the other hand, if you're not going to meet or talk to anybody in the country you're visiting, what's the point of traveling?

I've been to Italy a couple of times in recent years. In Rome, there are these fake tour guides around the major tourist attractions -- the Coliseum, for example -- who aren't affiliated with any organization but will go up to random visitors and offer tours. My friend and I noticed that these guides would approach us and immediately start speaking English. As if they knew instantly that we were American. Later, we asked this guy we'd befriended, an American who'd lived in Italy for years, what was up with that. He very delicately pointed out that we looked totally American. My friend is fairly heavy -- so, American. Very few Italians are overweight, unless they're really old. In my case, my coloring is a dead giveaway that I'm either American or maybe English or Scottish or Irish -- in any case, English-speaking.

I do know that in certain politically sensitive years, some Americans made a habit of wearing maple-leaf T-shirts when they traveled overseas. We did not do that -- we openly admitted our nationality and even (gasp) smiled at strangers -- and everybody we met was extremely friendly. When I went back to Italy, this time in a larger group, same thing.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 03:53:13 pm by serious crayons »

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 09:38:13 am »
Also, the use of "bum bags"....(I think you might call them "fanny bags")

Oh, I learned first hand about the word fanny overseas.

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 10:23:50 am »

Oh, I learned first hand about the word fanny overseas.

:laugh:

Gooooood......that will save some embarrassment.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 12:38:01 pm »
I read all through he points and tried to recall how we spotted the Americans, when travelling in Europe. They were much more open and friendly,that's for sure.They were also so enthusiastic about the countries they were visiting.
They tend to dress in a less conservative fashion than some Europeans and hotel and restaurant staff, love them because they tip well ,unlike the majority of Europeans.
It is all generalisation though. The Brit abroad or at least some of them, can be a major embarrassment.Wanting chips with everything, full English breakfast and no desire to eat any of "that foreign muck" Lord knows why many of them ever left their own shores.We would sometimes cringe when in the south of France on holiday. Crowds of beer swigging Brits, moaning non too discretely about how much they dislike the "frogs", derogatory term for the French.
Nigel and I would sink lower into our sun loungers and start to talk in French. Germany was just as big a nightmare, old football rivalry and the urban myth about all the best sun loungers being taken in the middle of the night by the Germans.Truth was many Brits were probably too lazy to get up early enough to get a good spot !! Or were still nursing hangovers and shovelling down vast breakfasts.
Italy presented the old soccer rivalry problem as well. So I guess there are many generalisations made about the inhabitants of all countries. In general when we travelled we would immerse ourselves in the local culture and stay pretty quiet.
One thing is for sure, I love the uninhibited way, Americans can just say what they feel.Such as I love your accent, or those shoes are too cute, where did you get them from. Most Brits. would never do that and for me I have found it all to be a refreshing change. I have definitely come out of my shell more since moving here and that is no bad thing.It has given me the courage to enter other people's lives and so has exposed me to so much more than had I remained in my reserved little British cocoon.
The thing perhaps I admire most about Americans,is their unabashed pride in their country. We go to the beach every July 4th and it never ceases to to make the hairs on my neck stand up.
The very first gymnastics meet I took Emma to, the national anthem was played at the start and everyone stood up. Pride in your country is not to be scorned and it seems to be sadly missing in England.Less so in Scotland and Wales.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 01:47:58 pm »
I read all through he points and tried to recall how we spotted the Americans, when travelling in Europe. They were much more open and friendly,that's for sure.They were also so enthusiastic about the countries they were visiting.
They tend to dress in a less conservative fashion than some Europeans and hotel and restaurant staff, love them because they tip well ,unlike the majority of Europeans.
It is all generalisation though. The Brit abroad or at least some of them, can be a major embarrassment.Wanting chips with everything, full English breakfast and no desire to eat any of "that foreign muck" Lord knows why many of them ever left their own shores.We would sometimes cringe when in the south of France on holiday. Crowds of beer swigging Brits, moaning non too discretely about how much they dislike the "frogs", derogatory term for the French.
Nigel and I would sink lower into our sun loungers and start to talk in French. Germany was just as big a nightmare, old football rivalry and the urban myth about all the best sun loungers being taken in the middle of the night by the Germans.Truth was many Brits were probably too lazy to get up early enough to get a good spot !! Or were still nursing hangovers and shovelling down vast breakfasts.
Italy presented the old soccer rivalry problem as well. So I guess there are many generalisations made about the inhabitants of all countries. In general when we travelled we would immerse ourselves in the local culture and stay pretty quiet.
One thing is for sure, I love the uninhibited way, Americans can just say what they feel.Such as I love your accent, or those shoes are too cute, where did you get them from. Most Brits. would never do that and for me I have found it all to be a refreshing change. I have definitely come out of my shell more since moving here and that is no bad thing.It has given me the courage to enter other people's lives and so has exposed me to so much more than had I remained in my reserved little British cocoon.
The thing perhaps I admire most about Americans,is their unabashed pride in their country. We go to the beach every July 4th and it never ceases to to make the hairs on my neck stand up.
The very first gymnastics meet I took Emma to, the national anthem was played at the start and everyone stood up. Pride in your country is not to be scorned and it seems to be sadly missing in England.Less so in Scotland and Wales.

That is my pet hate. "I hate the food here.. its all GREEK!" Eh hello, you're in Greece what do you expect!?!

Jess, I'd def say that a lot of these suggestions seem to be overkill...you love TAR you know us foreigners can help out and be nice to Americans when we're in the mood! :P

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/